2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2016 5 series

05-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #45
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with the 2016 3/4 series head lamps. It doesn't look much different than the one on the 5, 6, X5, X6 right now.

The navi screen pop up look is not about being cheap. If you notice, every manufacturer is heading towards that direction. The point of it is so you don't have to look down. You can still see the road even if you are looking at the screen. Functionally, it works much better than being hidden in the dash. Screens are good enough to still be visible with sunlight exposure.

If you don't like it then don't buy it but that's the way things are headed.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #46
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 FOR View Post
Agreed.

How does anyone with any simple design concepts think that works???

I hate it and if it arrives on the 5, bye bye BMW.
If you care that much about where the navi is positioned and base your car buying on that, join the Lexus, they have all kinds of toys to play with and leave.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #47
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Shiralian View Post
If you care that much about where the navi is positioned and base your car buying on that, join the Lexus, they have all kinds of toys to play with and leave.
Actually...... That was one of the reasons I went with the 535 vs. the XF. Then there was Jaguar's parent company......
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #48
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
The navi screen still looks like some aftermarket ad on. they should have added another bulge in the dash similar to the E60, that looks much better.
or just move all the driver stuff into the HUD and make that standard, I dont use my screen that much really, hardly ever look at it when driving.
+1
Those Nav screens scream aftermarket add on. It's just bad design. That's one of the reasons I didn't get an A6 - the screen ruins the dash line.
The argument that they're more functional because they supposedly sit higher doesn't hold water because the difference is so small as to be inconsequential. The screen still sits right above the center vents. Additionally, without the hood the screens absolutely DO wash out in strong light.
      05-08-2015, 11:36 PM   #49
MikeTerp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30/340

No matter what the manufacturers say, the pop up navi screens are NOT good and do wash out in bright sunlight. Are their designers so inept that they cannot figure out how to provide hooded navi screens in the context of the overall dash - AND - make them readable at close to eye level? Taking the easy way out IMHO.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #50
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
None of the Japanese and American cars have that design. Again I agree with the previous poster, if it is a pop up screen, then it should retract like the Audi's navi screen. Having a screen that stick out like that permanently is not a good look.
I have a Mazda 3 sitting in the parking lot with a pop up screen. My old G35 had a pop up screen that retracts and it was unreliable after a while. Imagine when you need it and the mechanism breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
The brand new 2 series does not have it, so not all new BMW get it.

or just move all the driver stuff into the HUD and make that standard, I dont use my screen that much really, hardly ever look at it when driving.
The 2 series does have it.

You can't put everything into the HUD because the projection angle is very limited and its size is very small. When they can make HUDs bigger, that's when pop up type screen disappears. That won't happen for at least 5 more years.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:41 AM   #51
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
I have a Mazda 3 sitting in the parking lot with a pop up screen. My old G35 had a pop up screen that retracts and it was unreliable after a while. Imagine when you need it and the mechanism breaks.

The 2 series does have it.

You can't put everything into the HUD because the projection angle is very limited and its size is very small. When they can make HUDs bigger, that's when pop up type screen disappears. That won't happen for at least 5 more years.
WHAT?????
Think you need to revise that statement.

The new 2 series.
No ugly connection between lamps and grilles, pretty, like the F10.

3 series.
ugly connection between lamps and grilles.

As for the screen/HUD thing.
in the current HUD you have Navi information (granted not the map), and other information.
Through coding you can move media information into the HUD.
So at what point do you actually need to look at the iDrive screen when driving?
Never, you need that screen to set up your route, select your playlist ect. before you start driving. So that screen does not need a good postition, it could be where the AC controllers are and it would not matter.
Unless you are one of those dangerous people who program their navi while driving.

The only time I use the iDrive screen when driving is if I get a text, then I need to enter the "office" menu and have the car read out the text for me.
I plug in my iPhone, select playlist, enter navi data if needed put the car in drive and go, from then on I use my HUD, instrument panel and steeringwheel commands for the rest of the drive. I dont need that ugly pop-up/add on navi screen on top of the dash obstructing my view.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 11:50 PM   #52
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep

Looks like the G30 is going to have the same kind of screen the G11 does.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...ery-98728.html
      08-13-2015, 12:19 AM   #53
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor View Post
That's going to be tough to see with the sun glaring on it! It looks so aftermarket and it is almost as stupid looking as the "Bangle Butt"!
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #54
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
That's going to be tough to see with the sun glaring on it! It looks so aftermarket and it is almost as stupid looking as the "Bangle Butt"!
But you know, almost every manufacturer has moved to this type of display (Audi, Mercedes, etc.). The current display in the F10 is not positioned to allow a direct touch interface. The movement onto the dash and closer to the driver will allow this. Why is this important? Because the manufacturers are convinced people want their car interfaces to act like their smart phones. Hence Apple car Play, etc. BMW makes great cars, but the nav system interface and navigation, screen quality, audio interface and navigation, text and email access are all pathetic. Maybe we should have access to all of this stuff for safety reasons, but it is what the public wants so the auto manufacturers are about to give it to us. No one does it better than Apple (except for Apps). If I had a Siri interface in my 2103 model, I'd just say "Call Karen at home" and away we'd go. Now its press the button and "dial number", "what number" "760-5551212" system repeats and then says "next" then you say "dial". What a joke. Going through the phonebook isn't much better.

Bottom line to BMW? Give me an OLED screen with good contrast/brightness in the proposed location, Apple Car Play and go back to making cars. You're not much good at the technology stuff.
      08-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #55
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
No surprise really since it will the touch screen and all the new BMW has the free standing screen now.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 10:49 PM   #56
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Had/have touchscreen on our 2006 Lincoln LS. I prefer the iDrive system better......
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #57
dempsy444
Rep
Drives: 535D

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
SAT Nav is to be standard with all BMW cars as off September in Europe I believe this is global! Either way make sure you get a very good deal for your 2016 F10, being the last year for the F10 production, depreciation factor will do more damage to your wallet, only if you planning to keep the car for a good number of years!
Ugh. I recently placed an order on the 2016 535D but now that I'm reading a bit about the expected 2017 540D I'm beginning to wonder if I should wait.

My main concern is the impact the new design will have on F10's depreciation. Any thoughts on how much a BMW 5 series typically depreciates ahead of a new design? I was able to negotiate 10% below MSRP when I ordered the 2016 model but am starting to think I could get that down even further. Any thoughts on how much?

My other concern is how much better the potential carbon framing in the 2017 model might make the driving experience. I think I read it could shave off about 250-300 lbs from the car, which is huge!

Thanks for any guidance you can give!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #58
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsy444 View Post
Ugh. I recently placed an order on the 2016 535D but now that I'm reading a bit about the expected 2017 540D I'm beginning to wonder if I should wait.

My main concern is the impact the new design will have on F10's depreciation. Any thoughts on how much a BMW 5 series typically depreciates ahead of a new design? I was able to negotiate 10% below MSRP when I ordered the 2016 model but am starting to think I could get that down even further. Any thoughts on how much?

My other concern is how much better the potential carbon framing in the 2017 model might make the driving experience. I think I read it could shave off about 250-300 lbs from the car, which is huge!

Thanks for any guidance you can give!
You got a good deal on a factory order. F10's will be in production for another 11 months so they're nowhere near F10 close-out deals.
Sure, the G30 will probably be a better car, but I personally wouldn't touch a German car until at least the second year of production, especially in this case where the platform and engines are new. First year models of these things are essentially beta versions. If you're leasing, it's not a big deal other than your time in dealing with issues, and the fact that your car will most likely be sub-par compared to the second and third year models.
You can always find a reason to wait, but the second year G30 will be better than the first, the third better than the second, etc....
      11-28-2015, 10:00 PM   #59
dempsy444
Rep
Drives: 535D

Thanks Sonic Endeavor. That's great perspective. Appreciate it. I'll likely stick with F10.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 04:39 AM   #60
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Totally with you on this, my wife car X3 one of the 1st produced back in 2011, packed with problems in an out of the dealer every month, nothing serious but very inconvenient our local car described it as Friday afternoon car before a public holiday.
So avoiding 1st year is definitely the way to go.

Quote:
You got a good deal on a factory order. F10's will be in production for another 11 months so they're nowhere near F10 close-out deals.
Sure, the G30 will probably be a better car, but I personally wouldn't touch a German car until at least the second year of production, especially in this case where the platform and engines are new. First year models of these things are essentially beta versions. If you're leasing, it's not a big deal other than your time in dealing with issues, and the fact that your car will most likely be sub-par compared to the second and third year models.
You can always find a reason to wait, but the second year G30 will be better than the first, the third better than the second, etc....
Appreciate 0