2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Steve Dinan speaks in ecu tuning

10-13-2016, 12:41 AM   #1
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Steve Dinan speaks in ecu tuning

Legend Steve Dinan speaks on tuning.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
BMW BRAD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535d M, F31 328d M

He sure knows his shizzle! I can't wait until they (Dinan) come out with a chip for my 535d!
      10-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Interesting watch. Good post
      10-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #4
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

From the creator of the placebo tune himself

DINAN has built a big name for themselves, props to them. However, charging $2-3k for tunes that don't even give anywhere near the advertised gains or performance increase, I just don't have anything good to say about them. I've fought with them multiple times over my tune performing at nothing better than stock levels, and it was all just hot air in the end.

Sorry to ruin this thread, but didn't want keep quiet. DINAN's motto is "Experience the DINAN Difference." It should be more like "Experience the feeling of burning your money with our overpriced placebo tunes."
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT
From the creator of the placebo tune himself

DINAN has built a big name for themselves, props to them. However, charging $2-3k for tunes that don't even give anywhere near the advertised gains or performance increase, I just don't have anything good to say about them. I've fought with them multiple times over my tune performing at nothing better than stock levels, and it was all just hot air in the end.

Sorry to ruin this thread, but didn't want keep quiet. DINAN's motto is "Experience the DINAN Difference." It should be more like "Experience the feeling of burning your money with our overpriced placebo tunes."
Preach on you're not ruining anything. If that what you've experienced then that's what it is. I think we all know Dinan doesn't push the envelope in regards to tuning parameters because they want to be consumer friendly.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Preach on you're not ruining anything. If that what you've experienced then that's what it is. I think we all know Dinan doesn't push the envelope in regards to tuning parameters because they want to be consumer friendly.
It's not even being about consumer friendly. I can respect a company being a bit more conservative to ensure reliability, but lying about numbers is just wrong.

DINAN claims 500+ hp on their N63 (not even TU) tunes, yet I was never able to surpass stock 1/4 mile and 0-60 times in the right conditions? 100 more horsepower should certainly have some effect. It was frustrating, not going to lie.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT
Quote:
It's not even being about consumer friendly. I can respect a company being a bit more conservative to ensure reliability, but lying about numbers is just wrong.

DINAN claims 500+ hp on their N63 (not even TU) tunes, yet I was never able to surpass stock 1/4 mile and 0-60 times in the right conditions? 100 more horsepower should certainly have some effect. It was frustrating, not going to lie.
Ok, well straight up lying sucks. Sorry to hear about that. Did they compensate you?

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 12:18 PM   #8
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, well straight up lying sucks. Sorry to hear about that. Did they compensate you?
If compensation includes constant phone calls with no result, then yes. They didn't even pay back a dime. It was pathetic. I remember I first was intrigued by DINAN's matched 4 year warranty. Another gimmick. Oh well, lesson learned.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I too was disappointed in my dinan tune on my 528i and ended up having it removed. I was hard pressed to tell much of a difference from stock power. Picked up a JB stage one for 1/5 of the price and the gains are very noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nothing but respect to Steve he is very knowledgeable guy and a very smart business man ... I remember long time ago, BMW tuning = Dinan

this video was filmed years ago when Dinan used to only do flash tuning.
He takes shots at piggybacks and says they are working on a stand alone ECU because they (and all tuning companies) will be out of business if they rely on piggybacks. Now Dinan are using piggy and dropped the stand alone ECU idea

Which make me want to ask this question, did Dinan lower their standards by offering piggybacks or was Dinan wrong when they assumed piggy is not the way to go with BMW?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #11
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

I have to admit, I have been laughing at Dinan badges for years now. when I got my 1st 5 series 10 years ago, of course, I wanted to mod it. I looked around a lot, and particular thing struck me as just stupid.
on tirerack.com
brembo BBK for my car was $3300 per axle, ok

dinan had the EXACT SAME BBK, only it said dinan on it instead of brembos, and they wanted $4800 per axle. my 1st thought was what a rip off? what kind of moron pays 50% more for the same thing just to get a stupid badge?
nuff said for me, I was done with dinan
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 09:26 PM   #12
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Nothing but respect to Steve he is very knowledgeable guy and a very smart business man ... I remember long time ago, BMW tuning = Dinan

this video was filmed years ago when Dinan used to only do flash tuning.
He takes shots at piggybacks and says they are working on a stand alone ECU because they (and all tuning companies) will be out of business if they rely on piggybacks. Now Dinan are using piggy and dropped the stand alone ECU idea

Which make me want to ask this question, did Dinan lower their standards by offering piggybacks or was Dinan wrong when they assumed piggy is not the way to go with BMW?
Steve sold the company and left in recent years. I assume part of the piggyback system has to do with that. Who knows what would be if Steve were still in the game.
I haven't dyno tested my 550i yet, but it sure hauls compared to a stock one.
Matt
Appreciate 0