2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media Real life pics of Sophisto Gray / Grey F10 5-series exterior and interior

11-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #45
dmirish
Long Term Member
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Most likely uses the same electric parking brake system as on the F01/F02. You'll find the parking brake right in front of the gear shifter. You pull the button marked with a circled 'P' upwards to engage the brake and push it down to disengage. I think it may also have the 'Auto Hold' feature as found in the F01/F02.
the pictures show it pretty clearly and you can see the auto hold button, so no need to wonder..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #46
TWSnow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I xDrive coupe

damn, BMW is def doing it !
      11-26-2009, 12:45 AM   #47
Capo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Where the hell is the panoramic roof....that would have made the car perfect!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #48
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
Where the hell is the panoramic roof....that would have made the car perfect!
Panoramic sunroof was and probably will never be available on the SEDAN (F10) version. It should be available on the TOURING (F11) version!!!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #49
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
You don't have to. It's most likely comfort access as a standard now. If it's the same as on the new F01/F02 (which I assume it is since most of the cockpit and electronics are shared between the F01/F02 and the F10/F11), you just keep the key fob in your pocket. When you get into the car you just press the start/stop button to start or stop the engine.
So, if it comfort accesss for all , does the key use RFID so it never needs to be charged up? If not, how does it work?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #50
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

hmm it looks pretty identical to 7 series interior

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #51
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
Hmm, there are lots of differences between the F01 and F10, and overall the F10 is much nicer. In particular:

- The F01 smoothly curved instrument binnacle versus chunky look on F01

- The left side of the F01 binnacle curves in, the F01 out

- The center console on the F10 is split above the HVAC controls, the F01 is not

- The F01 has two compartments between the shifter and HVAC, the F10 only one

- The upper dash-to-door transition is a curve on the F10 while the F01 has more of a corner

- The F01 has a flat armrest/door panel, the F10 curves upwards

- The center consoles are very different, with the F10 looking sportier

- The F01 has a split glovebox, the F10 a traditional single glovebox

- The banana/cellphone/beer-tap shifter looks different on the F10, with a smoother transition from the parking button on top and additional chrome trim on the left side

What I want to see is the F10 interior in something other than boring beige. I hate the beige that BMW uses, and think the F10 is going to look nice in some of the more exciting colors, and even in the "coal hole" black that the British journalists are always whinging about.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #52
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDarkie View Post
Something's wrong with the center console (and it's irking me enough so that I finally registered an account so that I could post this)

If the 5 has "clear orientation to the driver in the cockpit" why is that leather "swoosh" not on the other side? Visually, it's biased towards the passenger and creates a sense of separation from the driver side.

They had it right on the current 5, the 6 and the Z4. Why the switch?
I was curious about this as well. Why isn't the leather "swoosh" on the opposite side? Beautiful interior but I don't get why they reversed it from how it is on the E60 or the new Z4.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 06:45 AM   #53
teropa
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530dA E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
I was curious about this as well. Why isn't the leather "swoosh" on the opposite side? Beautiful interior but I don't get why they reversed it from how it is on the E60 or the new Z4.
There are obviously two very good reasons why the leather swoosh continues on the driver's side. I am surprised that people are wondering about this so much.

- It supports the driver's arm in cruise. If it were open, like it is on the pax side, the arm could not be supported as well. You would need to have your arm way back on the center armrest to support it. Now you can keep your arm wherever between the armrest and the dash and it's supported. Much like hanging your hand from an open window (elbow out).

- The leather structure supports driver from the right in turns and corners. If it were open, there would be diminished support to keep the driver still. Now it's elevated to support the driver's foot and thus entire body far better in turns. Imagine it being fully open, then the seat would have to take all of the sideways motion.

rgds,
Tero
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #54
MDarkie
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by teropa View Post
There are obviously two very good reasons why the leather swoosh continues on the driver's side. I am surprised that people are wondering about this so much.

- It supports the driver's arm in cruise. If it were open, like it is on the pax side, the arm could not be supported as well. You would need to have your arm way back on the center armrest to support it. Now you can keep your arm wherever between the armrest and the dash and it's supported. Much like hanging your hand from an open window (elbow out).

- The leather structure supports driver from the right in turns and corners. If it were open, there would be diminished support to keep the driver still. Now it's elevated to support the driver's foot and thus entire body far better in turns. Imagine it being fully open, then the seat would have to take all of the sideways motion.

rgds,
Tero
Well, to be honest, from an aesthetics point of view, I still think it's on the wrong side. As for the added amount of support that 1" wide piece of leather has, I think its minimal, if any, and is probably serving more as decorative trim. From watching the BMW F10 video, I don't recall that piece of trim ever being used as an arm support. I doubt that much support is needed so far forward of the driver (unless you like sitting really close to the steering wheel). My hand's usually resting on the gear shift or steering wheel anyways. If anything, I would think more arm support would be needed on the right, so that you won't develop carpal tunnel syndrome while working the iDrive.

Plus, that piece of leather is on the top of the console, and doesn't really provide that much lateral support. The transmission tunnel is still there, and would supply the bulk of the support needed (as in all other bmws). The bulk of your center of gravity would probably be over the seat, so your seat is supporting much of the lateral support. Your leg probably wouldn't appreciate the difference between the leather and whatever material they use to cover the transmission tunnel. For added lateral support to the leg, they should have either raised the entire console area or go with a dedicated pad a la the E89 Z4 (now why don't we see that more often?)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #55
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

the interior is a big step forward
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #56
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

the M steering wheel is great nice and thick with the plus right and minus left paddles. those paddles are great i love using them with the poer button on on s6 yeah!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #57
MMVI
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 something

Superb
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #58
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torzeck View Post
So, if it comfort accesss for all , does the key use RFID so it never needs to be charged up? If not, how does it work?
The remote has a replaceable battery. Some BMW non-comfort access keys use an induction type charge mechanism. On those models, you need to plug the key fob into a slot in the dashboard. The car extracts the necessary information from the remote via a wireless communication process before it lets you start the car. During the time the engine is running, the key fobs internal battery will get recharged. On models that use the comfort access type key fobs, an internal replaceable (non-rechargeable) type battery supplies the power to the key fob electronic. When you enter the car and when you press the start/stop key, the car will get the necessary information from the key fob via a wireless communication. Some information is already transmitted to the car from either type of key when you remotely unlock the car, it sort of 'preps' the car.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #59
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwr View Post
hmm it looks pretty identical to 7 series interior

Most of the interior of the new F10 series cars is identical to the new 7 series F01/F02 model. There are some minor differences, e.g.:

- The F10 gauge cluster has a smaller LCD screen at the bottom and does not display nearly as many information as the F01 cluster does.

- The cup holder panel section is smaller and has been redesigned for the F10 series.

- The center console arm rest has been redesigned for the F10.

- The gear selector handle has been redesigned for the F10.

There are more differences, but in general, the F10 borrows EXTENSIVELY from the F01 interior!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #60
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSauls View Post
Hmm, there are lots of differences between the F01 and F10, and overall the F10 is much nicer. In particular:

- The F01 smoothly curved instrument binnacle versus chunky look on F01

- The left side of the F01 binnacle curves in, the F01 out

- The center console on the F10 is split above the HVAC controls, the F01 is not

- The F01 has two compartments between the shifter and HVAC, the F10 only one

- The upper dash-to-door transition is a curve on the F10 while the F01 has more of a corner

- The F01 has a flat armrest/door panel, the F10 curves upwards

- The center consoles are very different, with the F10 looking sportier

- The F01 has a split glovebox, the F10 a traditional single glovebox

- The banana/cellphone/beer-tap shifter looks different on the F10, with a smoother transition from the parking button on top and additional chrome trim on the left side

What I want to see is the F10 interior in something other than boring beige. I hate the beige that BMW uses, and think the F10 is going to look nice in some of the more exciting colors, and even in the "coal hole" black that the British journalists are always whinging about.
I agree with most of what you said above less the chunky looking comment...

It depends on the dashboard you get in the F01/F02. Here is a look at mine (F01 individual with Platinum Merino Extended Leather dashbaord) and as you can see it has the smooth transitions just like in the F10:

Name:  My new 750i individual 10.jpg
Views: 9729
Size:  434.0 KB

Name:  My new 750i individual 23.jpg
Views: 27568
Size:  439.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 06:33 AM   #61
kinan_sleiman2006
Lieutenant
Syria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

nice shots.Thanks man
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #62
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM3 View Post
way way too many buttons...i thought the point of the idrive was to clear the cabin. yes its luxurious but i still prefer my 7 interior with the central idrive button.
But still...huge improvment over the last generation...i actually got a seven because the 5er interior was really poorly designed and not luxurious enough. I miss the wave like design over the idrive screen though.
From someone who came from Audi MMI setup in an S5 to the Mk1 i-drive in the M3 I for one am glad BMW have now adopted Audi's basic setup with their Mk2 version and dare I say it improved on that system which is what the 3 series now have and the new 5, 5GT and 7 series have got.

I understand your opinion that it appears to a backward step to offer separate buttons for certain the likes of radio, nav, air-con etc but the reality is that it speeds things up greatly and creates much less distraction, so basically it's safer.

Job done.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #63
me90kreuz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 - SOLD

the interior of this car is awesome!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 05:21 AM   #64
bavarian19