2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum How to you Identify Key1 and Key2

08-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
cartechfreak
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' Dark Graphite 528i

How to you Identify Key1 and Key2

My wife lost my smart key.
Planning on getting a replacement from Dealer.
And I'm also planning to have the old key removed from the car. May be that needs to programed by the dealer to remove the old key replace it with new key.
But I cannot identify which key was lost.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
      08-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Visually you can't tell. The dealer will be able to with their key reader.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

sorry to hear that, keep us updated what it took and $$$ cost?
      08-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
cartechfreak
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' Dark Graphite 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
sorry to hear that, keep us updated what it took and $$$ cost?
I did call some dealers around and everyone prices are different in range from $380-$440
Because I have comfort access.

And no dealer gave me a clear answer about the programming requirement for comfort access for 13 F10.
Some say that you might need to pay extra $180 for the key to be coded for comfort access feature.Some said they are not sure.
      08-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #5
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartechfreak View Post
I did call some dealers around and everyone prices are different in range from $380-$440
Because I have comfort access.

And no dealer gave me a clear answer about the programming requirement for comfort access for 13 F10.
Some say that you might need to pay extra $180 for the key to be coded for comfort access feature.Some said they are not sure.
I have 2013 with comfort access and only one Key I better keep eye on it.
Try locksmith it might be cheeper Good luck

Thanks
      08-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

The car can have only 2 keys synced at a time. You need an existing key when you sync the new key. So the car un-syncs the "missing" key.

I posted this on your other thread, but repeating since there's more posters on this one:

BMWUSA has a special key replacement program for CA residents only. You call BMWUSA, pay them the discounted rate, and then pickup your key from your local dealer. My Comfort Access key for F10 was $250, versus over $400 from the dealer.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...placement.aspx

You can only get one from BMW, not a 3rd party or locksmith. No, you don't need to pay extra for "programming" on modern BMWs - if your steering column has the printed picture of a key on the right side, when you get the new key you just hold it up to that while starting the car (with the other key on you) for it to sync.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mness View Post
The car can have only 2 keys synced at a time. You need an existing key when you sync the new key. So the car un-syncs the "missing" key.

I posted this on your other thread, but repeating since there's more posters on this one:

BMWUSA has a special key replacement program for CA residents only. You call BMWUSA, pay them the discounted rate, and then pickup your key from your local dealer. My Comfort Access key for F10 was $250, versus over $400 from the dealer.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...placement.aspx

You can only get one from BMW, not a 3rd party or locksmith. No, you don't need to pay extra for "programming" on modern BMWs - if your steering column has the printed picture of a key on the right side, when you get the new key you just hold it up to that while starting the car (with the other key on you) for it to sync.
Does losing your key in California count? Heh... I got robbed in CA and my car key went with my bag. I live in IL and want to replace my key, sucks I have to pay the full price.
Appreciate 0