2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Do You Like The Handling Of Your F10

08-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #111
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

I have a lot of experience with great cars to compare to.

1966 912, 1986 CRX Si, 1986 944, 1988 Carrera 3.2 w/sport suspension aligned to Lime Rock, 1991 E30 318is, 1994 Miata SE w/LSD, and a 2005 W211 with so well tuned a suspension, the thing wouldn't slip a tire.

Yes the e90 was pretty good for what you could compare it to at the time. Somewhat in the same comfort/handling league as the above.

PL
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:37 AM   #112
Sumptuous Hummus
Banned
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
I have a lot of experience with great cars to compare to.

1966 912, 1986 CRX Si, 1986 944, 1988 Carrera 3.2 w/sport suspension aligned to Lime Rock, 1991 E30 318is, 1994 Miata SE w/LSD, and a 2005 W211 with so well tuned a suspension, the thing wouldn't slip a tire.

Yes the e90 was pretty good for what you could compare it to at the time. Somewhat in the same comfort/handling league as the above.

PL
Agreed. I think Acura is currently one of the best brands right nkw in terms of blending street comfort with handling prowess. They are really, really good.

I also like the Mazda 6 chassis. It's designed for smooth Japanese pavement so the ride is appalling over our horrific GTA roads, but over smooth pavement it rides like no entry-level sedan has a right to. The steering is keen and precise with sharp turn in and it actually transmits some feel! I can't think of any other 2015 model cars with actual steering feel.

What do you think of the f10? It's a very nice car for the street, but it's too soft and heavy for aggressive track use. The suspension is soft and the open differential is a real let-down during aggressive cornering, as with many other cars like Mazda. But regardless, as long as I keep the heavy chassis within its paces, I enjoy every second of driving the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #113
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumptuous Hummus View Post
Agreed. I think Acura is currently one of the best brands right nkw in terms of blending street comfort with handling prowess. They are really, really good.

I also like the Mazda 6 chassis. It's designed for smooth Japanese pavement so the ride is appalling over our horrific GTA roads, but over smooth pavement it rides like no entry-level sedan has a right to. The steering is keen and precise with sharp turn in and it actually transmits some feel! I can't think of any other 2015 model cars with actual steering feel.

What do you think of the f10? It's a very nice car for the street, but it's too soft and heavy for aggressive track use. The suspension is soft and the open differential is a real let-down during aggressive cornering, as with many other cars like Mazda. But regardless, as long as I keep the heavy chassis within its paces, I enjoy every second of driving the BMW.
I agree the Mazda 6 would be a great car if it didn't have such an anemic engine. 184 hp is pathetic, c'mon Mazda bring back the Mazdaspeed 6.

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #114
Sumptuous Hummus
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
I agree the Mazda 6 would be a great car if it didn't have such an anemic engine. 184 hp is pathetic, c'mon Mazda bring back the Mazdaspeed 6.
have you actually driven one before?

it's merely adequate, or "just enough" in terms of output, but 185 ft/lb of torque at 3250RPM is honestly quite impressive especially considering it's just a 4 cylinder. the little 4 banger rips once you get it to 3k rpm and it pulls strong and super linear all the way up to its rev limit. makes a sweet bassy tone while it's at it with lots of induction noise.

I've never had a problem with it's power output except on the highway where it feels gutless. but in the city there is enough torque at a pretty low RPM and the gearing makes good advantage of it. it's all about the chassis/handling anyways which overall makes it a very fun car.

I do fully agree with you on the mazdaspeed, but apparently they ax'ed the MS brand, but others are saying that they are going to make a mazda speed 3 (2.5 turbo ) 300hp with AWD. easily will top it's class if they make that car.

they are also making the next rotary concept, but unfortunately no plans for a mazdaspeed 6. however, they are making a new signature trim level, so the mazda 6 will have a 2.5T like many of us wanted.

they will also be using HCCI (essentially compression ignition like a diesel engine, no spark plugs) which increases efficiency by 30%. but more importantly will up torque by 10-30% when paired with a supercharger. so the future looks pretty decent for mazda so far.

Last edited by Sumptuous Hummus; 08-10-2017 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #115
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumptuous Hummus View Post
have you actually driven one before?

it's merely adequate, or "just enough" in terms of output, but 185 ft/lb of torque at 3250RPM is honestly quite impressive especially considering it's just a 4 cylinder. the little 4 banger rips once you get it to 3k rpm and it pulls strong and super linear all the way up to its rev limit. makes a sweet bassy tone while it's at it with lots of induction noise.
Yes I have driven one, my wife almost bought one for her current car. I loved the way the Mazda 6 drove and was very impressed with the interior of the car but as I said the performance from the engine was anemic. It sounded good and was willing to rev but I just kept thinking that the car was crying out for more power. I would seriously consider the Mazda 6 for my next car if they'd put a more powerful engine in it.

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #116
Sumptuous Hummus
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
Yes I have driven one, my wife almost bought one for her current car. I loved the way the Mazda 6 drove and was very impressed with the interior of the car but as I said the performance from the engine was anemic. It sounded good and was willing to rev but I just kept thinking that the car was crying out for more power. I would seriously consider the Mazda 6 for my next car if they'd put a more powerful engine in it.
agreed, it's a little down on power. it needs an ECU tune to make the engine compatible with 91 octane and then it should be good. they are putting the 2.5T into that car and I cant wait to see how it performs. that is going to be an amazing turbo engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #117
initialM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

I agree with some folks here that the handling feel of this F10 model sort of replicates the Mercedes. From my experience with my F10 535 M-sport, the suspensions still have too much body-roll when cornering, even on merging freeways ramps and I'm disappointed at that especially with the M-sport package. My 08 Lexus IS has much less body-roll than the 5-ser (I know it's two different cars, but I was expecting something close to that). I have thought about upgrading my sways and/or switching to coilovers, but I would not want to compromise the ride comfort especially when cruising long distance. Secondly, the steering wheels felt heavy at first until I got rid of my run-flats and put regular tires (Yoko's all season; great and very smooth ride). Other than those, I'm very pleased with everything else and I have yet to see the longevity of this beauty.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #118
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by initialM View Post
I agree with some folks here that the handling feel of this F10 model sort of replicates the Mercedes. From my experience with my F10 535 M-sport, the suspensions still have too much body-roll when cornering, even on merging freeways ramps and I'm disappointed at that especially with the M-sport package. My 08 Lexus IS has much less body-roll than the 5-ser (I know it's two different cars, but I was expecting something close to that). I have thought about upgrading my sways and/or switching to coilovers, but I would not want to compromise the ride comfort especially when cruising long distance. Secondly, the steering wheels felt heavy at first until I got rid of my run-flats and put regular tires (Yoko's all season; great and very smooth ride). Other than those, I'm very pleased with everything else and I have yet to see the longevity of this beauty.
The sways cleans everything up. If I did it again I would keep the 550 rear sway and do M5 comp sway instead of regular M5 sway.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #119
Sumptuous Hummus
Banned
Rep

Quote:
take a look at the bilstein b12. it improves handling without sacrificing comfort.

that generation lexus IS has a terribly overdamped suspension. but either way, it's a much lighter and more sporty car then the f10 so it's not really a direct comparison
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #120
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

I have yet to discover a car that handles better with stiffer suspension or less "body lean" as my E30 318is routinely out handled my Carrera 3.2 with sports suspension on country roads.

The luxury suspension that came standard on my E320 CDI was so compliant, I cannot remember its tires ever chirping or the car ever not being sure-footed in normal spirited driving.

I don't think this applies to a smooth, curvy track, where a stiffer suspension and less body roll may be an advantage, as my e90 sport would "slide" a bit on corners with as much grace as a dancer or expert skier.

So the appeal of stiffening a suspension beyond factory settings isn't all that valuable to me. Tires are a different story. A good LSD would also be welcome.

PL
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #121
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
I have thought about upgrading my sways and/or switching to coilovers, but I would not want to compromise the ride comfort especially when cruising long distance. Secondly, the steering wheels felt heavy at first until I got rid of my run-flats and put regular tires (Yoko's all season; great and very smooth ride). Other than those, I'm very pleased with everything else and I have yet to see the longevity of this beauty.
I just got back from a 12 hr drive from OH to PA for MPACT 2017 and back to OH and I'm on KWv1 coilovers and the drive was nothing but comfortable and i had the wife in the car! So you can't make a statement like coilovers may compromise ride comfort if you've never had them before! If anything they improve the handling and comfort!

Like Bmw doubles said upgrade to sways and your golden which is what i need to do next!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1