2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications CCP + Oil Leak Found

12-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
Husni08
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport

CCP + Oil Leak Found

So I purchased a 13' 550i M Sport with 45K on it a little over a week ago and naturally took it to the dealer (Classic BMW of Dallas) tp have it serviced. I was notified that the CCP was not completed on the vehicle. I wasn't aware of this issue prior to purchase or it would have swayed my decision. Anyways, I agreed to leave it there on Tuesday, and after three business days I decided to call and check how things were going.

They notified me that they're still working on the CCP but also found that my oil pan gaskets were leaking oil. They notified me that both the upper and lower pan gaskets were to be replaced by them. I did notify them when dropping the car off that I had the oil level low light come on, but I was aware of the high consumption.

I'm curious to know if the oil pan gasket leak is common and whether that can be a possible reason for the more than average consumption these vehicles are known for?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 11:17 PM   #2
corys530
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

I had the 4.4 in my x5 and it used more than normal oil especially as it got more miles on it, it was the valve stem seals (most common reason) and when it gets bad enough it will start smoking after a longer than usual idle...also yes i had both my pan seals replaced in the life of that engine.

I traded it in for my 535 when it had 80000 mi, was an awesome motor until it got around 75k.....im happy with the 3.0 now

good luck!
2014 328i
2012 535i

Last edited by corys530; 12-31-2015 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 12:04 AM   #3
msginnie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Oil pan gasket is common. This is because gasket become loose and it cannot hold oil and oil starts leaking. With this running average of the vehicle get decreased. This is not a big problem. New gasket will solve this problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #4
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

2011 550i here. Dealer just found out i have an oil leak in the rear right side of engine... Could that be the valve seals or maybe the lower/upper oil gaskets? Just hit 73k miles.

Is this a major/expensive job for either? Valve seals vs oil gaskets/

Thank ahead for any input.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #5
MattPro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550iX, '91 E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Cool92 View Post
2011 550i here. Dealer just found out i have an oil leak in the rear right side of engine... Could that be the valve seals or maybe the lower/upper oil gaskets? Just hit 73k miles.

Valve seals means oil will be leaking into the combustion chamber and be burned. So it would not leak, just smoke out of the exhaust. To repair that, the engine would have to be pulled and disassembled. It is more likely an oil pan gasket since that would be external leaking.

2013 F10 550iX Carbon Black/MSport
BMW Fault Code DB
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPro
Quote:

Valve seals means oil will be leaking into the combustion chamber and be burned. So it would not leak, just smoke out of the exhaust. To repair that, the engine would have to be pulled and disassembled. It is more likely an oil pan gasket since that would be external leaking.
I do have a little white smoke that comes out exhaust. But I see many 550s on YouTube with the same thing.

Are valve seals expensive job ? And can they only be done by a bmw dealer ?

Oil gaskets shouldn't be too much, right? Is that something that can be done at an independent bmw mechanic shop or best bet would b a bmw dealership ?

Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 12:02 AM   #7
MattPro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550iX, '91 E30

Quote:
I do have a little white smoke that comes out exhaust. But I see many 550s on YouTube with the same thing.

Are valve seals expensive job ? And can they only be done by a bmw dealer ?

Oil gaskets shouldn't be too much, right? Is that something that can be done at an independent bmw mechanic shop or best bet would b a bmw dealership ?

Thanks for the help
Yes, very expensive job. I think dealer would be easily north of $6-7k. The reason it is so expensive is because they must drop the engine from the car, then disassemble and reassemble it (heads must come off to remove valves to get to valve steam seals). I would think any serious european/BMW specialty shop could handle this job but it is definitely a big one.

2013 F10 550iX Carbon Black/MSport
BMW Fault Code DB
Appreciate 0