2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Hi everyone, I'm new to BMW and looking at the 528i.

08-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
docCarter
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Hi everyone, I'm new to BMW and looking at the 528i.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, and I am currently looking at buying a 528i.

I am somewhat new to looking at BMW, for the last few years I always thought BMW was made up of a bunch of money-grubbers who haven't cared about driving dynamics in years.

I did always like the 5-Series though, the E39 especially. I hated the E60 though, I think it is the ugliest BMW ever created and should have never been created in the first place.

I like the new F10 though, and I like the 528i. I just have a few questions.

1. What's it like to own a BMW?
2. What do I get if I check off no options?
3. Should I do European delivery?
4. How fast is the 528i?
5. Will I feel like a cock if I drive it?

I have driven cars made by GM all my life (primarily Chevrolet) and they have never let me down, I just want to try out BMW.

So yes, any help is welcome
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by docCarter View Post
I like the new F10 though, and I like the 528i. I just have a few questions.
Pretty much the same as owning any other luxury car. Free scheduled maintenance and a loaner is a nice touch, though.
A very basic version. If you're trying to save money, Bimmers aren't what I would characterize as great values. It's like trying to save money shopping at Whole Foods, not gonna happen.
Too hard to answer that question, so many variables involved. Do a search of other posts regarding ED, you'll get a good sense of it.
4. How fast is the 528i?
Fast enough for most. If you are a driving enthusiat it will probably be to slow for you off the line.
If you're a cock to begin with, yes. If not, then probably not.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
What you want to feel while you're driving is down to personal preference and local legislation - perhaps best kept between you and who you're feeling
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

How could anyone possibly know if you feel like a cock or not?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
docCarter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
Pretty much the same as owning any other luxury car. Free scheduled maintenance and a loaner is a nice touch, though.
A very basic version. If you're trying to save money, Bimmers aren't what I would characterize as great values. It's like trying to save money shopping at Whole Foods, not gonna happen.
Too hard to answer that question, so many variables involved. Do a search of other posts regarding ED, you'll get a good sense of it.
4. How fast is the 528i?
Fast enough for most. If you are a driving enthusiat it will probably be to slow for you off the line.
If you're a cock to begin with, yes. If not, then probably not.
1. Ive never owned a luxury car, that seems nice.
2. Do I get iDrive or any other stuff?
3. Thanks.
4. I just need something fast enough to have fun with.
5. Currently I'm not a cock, that question came up after watching a bit of Top Gear.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
5. Currently I'm not a cock, that question came up after watching a bit of Top Gear.
That explains your indecision; Top Gear is fronted by three complete cocks - look away lest you become one
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Quote:
iDrive is standard, but the Navigation is not standard. Most luxury features are not standard, so you will have to start checking options boxes to get gadgets which will quickly made the price go up. Just a warning.

A big difference between BMW and other luxury brands is that BMW is really set up for you to order exactly what you want. So I recommend you do that and not just drive something off the lot. Only via ordering can you get interesting color combinations, etc.

Be sure to read the brochure here. It will list out the options and packages that are available. Then to go bmwusa.com and do the "build your own" thing and see how much it will cost!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
r3amir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X2

Get 528i at least with premium 1 pkg, sport pkg and Navigation and sport auto, MSRP approx. $52K to get a good luxury car. Negotiate and get it under $50K.

You have to test drive a 528i, before you can say, how will it feel?
2006 325i Arctic Metallic
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
3. Thanks.
If you have the means, it's highly recommended, it's great fun.
Hmm, you get lots of "stuff", but you can really customize what you want, versus what you need.
Everyone's definition of fast is very different. If you're coming from a mini van or SUV, it's fast as hell. From a Corvette, not so much.
One of the biggest BMW haters, Jeremy Clarson, actually gave the new 5 series a . Granted it's the 535i, keep that in mind.
Here's the link
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
3. Thanks.
1. I have only owned BMWs (waiting delivery of my 3rd) and its a very nice experience (usually). Be sure to go to a good dealer. you can ask around here with you location and people can recommend dealer and salesmen.

2. You get idrive standard however that is the 7" screen with no navigation. I personally will never get a BMW without navigation.

4. Its fast. I had the 335i and am moving to a 528i. Make sure to get the 8sp sport transmission ($500). Its not optional if you enjoy driving

5. jeremy clarkson is a cock--however he is also a great entertainer
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
alex_c
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10 535i

Angry

My first NICE car was back in 1993, a new E36 325is, and I absolutely loved it, until it got totalled going off a cliff after 364 days of ownership, with 1 day of insurance left... After that, I got a 325iC (convertible) and loved it. I kept it for almost 4 years. After that, I had lots of other vehicles, which I end up keeping for under 1 or 2 years... until my next BMW, an X5 which I kept for 3 years. A few others for short periods, until my last BMW, a 328xi, and now a 2011 535i. Bottom line, nothing drives like a BMW. I learned my lesson. BMW has proven to be the best vehicle for me. You will love it!

As others have said, get at least Premium 1 (leather seats, and other nice stuff). Next add Navigation. Works and looks phenomenal. Specially nice is the real-time traffic re-routing. Still some money left? Get Sports package (fantastic seats, wheels, black trim) and add 2TB for the Sports Automatic transmission, paddle shifters, and the ability to change the feeling of the car from Normal to Sport. From there, the sky is the limit...

You can save some money, but once you add the plane ticket, hotels, meals, etc. you may end up spending almost the same, but will enjoy a GREAT vacation. Bear in mind that after you return your vehicle to a drop-off point, you may be without your car for almost 2 months until it gets back to you. Do you have something else to drive meanwhile? Are you OK making 2 payments on your car without using it? For me, that was a little turn-off, but I still got the Performance Center Delivery. Maybe not as fun as driving on the Autobahn, but still, seems like a lot of fun.

4. How fast is the 528i?
The 528 became available after I had already ordered my 535. I tested the 528 and it is very nice, quite nimble, and unless you want to push it really hard, it is lots of fun.

You will feel the satisfaction of driving one of the best sedans in the world.

I have driven cars made by GM all my life (primarily Chevrolet) and they have never let me down, I just want to try out BMW.

I think that driving a BMW is completely opposite to driving almost any GM car -perhaps with the exception of the Corvette-. GM's tend to float, dive and roll like a boat on asphalt. Sorry, but that's what they feel after you drive a well tuned car like a BMW... and no, I'm not being a cock...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
dallas528
Rep
Drives: 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
I think that driving a BMW is completely opposite to driving almost any GM car -perhaps with the exception of the Corvette-. GM's tend to float, dive and roll like a boat on asphalt. Sorry, but that's what they feel after you drive a well tuned car like a BMW... and no, I'm not being a cock...
+1 I also have a Tahoe in addition to my 528i, both are '08's, the BMW has 47k miles and the Tahoe has 10k miles. There's nothing like a BMW, I'm finalizing my order on a Euro Delivery 2011 535i this week!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
docCarter
Rep

Yea, I think a new 5-Series might just be....... a bit out of my price range, seeing as if I check off a $500 option I end up having to get a $3000 option with it. Not that I'm going to stop looking, but right now things are looking bleak.

Thanks for all of your help though, now I feel as though the stereotype of BMW drivers being cocks isn't as what I had expected.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #14
tk005x
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Premium 1 is def a must along with heated front seats (unless you live in warm areas).

Are you looking for a car in this size range? Not a big fan of the E-class but I think the M is quite nice.

A6 is gonna get a refresh but what about the XF? Not sure about how the pricing compares though..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #15
alex_c
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10 535i

If price is a big hurdle, you may try to find some last 2010 5 series with something like $8,000 discounts.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #16
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea, I think a new 5-Series might just be....... a bit out of my price range, seeing as if I check off a $500 option I end up having to get a $3000 option with it. Not that I'm going to stop looking, but right now things are looking bleak.

Thanks for all of your help though, now I feel as though the stereotype of BMW drivers being cocks isn't as what I had expected.
If the styling suits you, the 2010's 528i are a tremendous value. if you're price sensitive you could probably get a 2/3 year old CPO with decent amount of equipment for a reasonable price .
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #17
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

why not custom order?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #18
docCarter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
If the styling suits you, the 2010's 528i are a tremendous value. if you're price sensitive you could probably get a 2/3 year old CPO with decent amount of equipment for a reasonable price .
Ick! No The E60 is absolutely atrocious.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #19
docCarter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
why not custom order?
Custom order aye?

So I can get the $500 sport transmission without buying the $2200 sport package
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #20
docCarter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk005x View Post
Premium 1 is def a must along with heated front seats (unless you live in warm areas).

Are you looking for a car in this size range? Not a big fan of the E-class but I think the M is quite nice.

A6 is gonna get a refresh but what about the XF? Not sure about how the pricing compares though..
There are only 2 other cars I would get.

A CTS, but that's a bit small.

I also plan to get the upcoming MY2013 Chevrolet Zeta in a few years. Oh poop, do you guys know what the Zeta platform is? It's the greatest automotive platform ever created and makes every other platform currently out now or out in the next 50 years look like poop.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 01:04 AM   #21
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
A lot of people here swear by the e90 and think the f10 is regressing.

Then again a lot of people were crying when the e60 came out saying e39 was the last of the great BMWs.

Its a typical pattern whenever BMW comes out with a new car

I personally thought the e60 was the most beautiful 4dr car at any price when it came out. I think the F10 is also very good looking but not as polarizing. However, the F10 interior is light years ahead.

Interesting that they list the $500 sport shifter is listed separately but when you added on bmwusa.com it adds the 2k sport package. It may be a bug with the system, but you should ask a dealer to be sure. I have never seen the website list an options separate from the package if it is not separate available for order.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #22
docCarter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
A lot of people here swear by the e90 and think the f10 is regressing.

Then again a lot of people were crying when the e60 came out saying e39 was the last of the great BMWs.

Its a typical pattern whenever BMW comes out with a new car

I personally thought the e60 was the most beautiful 4dr car at any price when it came out. I think the F10 is also very good looking but not as polarizing. However, the F10 interior is light years ahead.

Interesting that they list the $500 sport shifter is listed separately but when you added on bmwusa.com it adds the 2k sport package. It may be a bug with the system, but you should ask a dealer to be sure. I have never seen the website list an options separate from the package if it is not separate available for order.
I personally think the E60 is absolutely disgusting.
Appreciate 0