2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Combo Box Issues

01-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

Exclamation Combo Box Issues

I'm not sure if this thread should go here in elsewhere as it may apply to the combo box in other models besides the F10/F11s. In any case here goes...

I've been using the combo box for a couple of weeks now and find a couple really strange anomalies occurring and have no idea how to forward them to BMW for either reporting or explanation purposes.

1) When I play MP3s from a USB stick plugged into the centre console the imbedded artwork is displayed via the iDrive/display at the appropriate locations (small image when song details are in the main window of the display and large image in sub-window when in split screen mode – after initial 5 second delay to show song details). However, if I put the same USB stick into the glove box connector and import the songs into my collection, while playback of those same songs via my collection – no images. What is with that?

2) This may be BlackBerry issue however, when I read an email message via the iDrive/display it marks the message as read on my BB BUT it does not decrement the message flag indicator on the BB. This is very annoying as I always clear my messages on the BB and use the message icon as an indicator that I have new mail. The only way to clear the message flag in the BB is to do battery pull. Now I know that the lack of a “clear message flag” on the BB is a BB issue, but the fact that the flag counter is not decremented during the Bluetooth exchange with iDrive may be a BMW issue. Of note, reading SMS message does update properly. I’m using the Torch (9800) and have OS 6 with build package 246.

Thanks in advance
Bill
      01-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

1) Another post in this forum suggests .... press 'option' in your idrive or the '+' sign on the right to see
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
V1k1ng
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 525D

1) When I import music files from a USB stick connected to the USB hub in the glove box, i have noticed that the system reads the embedded tag (Artist, Album, title and genere) in the music files. Album picture is also part of this tag, but somehow does not appear on the screen. Why? dunno, maybe to get people to spend the extra 300 for the USB interface in the centre console?

A other part of the tag is also not shown/used which is the Track number. The system reads the music files in an alphabetical order. This is frustrating when listening to Pink Floyd (The Wall) and other albums which follows a sequence. My solution was to edit the tags and insert the track number in the title tag.

..No help from me in the main topics, but i can confirm the same about the USB..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1k1ng View Post
1) When I import music files from a USB stick connected to the USB hub in the glove box, i have noticed that the system reads the embedded tag (Artist, Album, title and genere) in the music files. Album picture is also part of this tag, but somehow does not appear on the screen. Why? dunno, maybe to get people to spend the extra 300 for the USB interface in the centre console?
V1k1ng:

I do know that no matter what it will not show artwork that is not imbedded into MP3 file. I tested this via the centre console connection and those MP3s that had tags that only contained a reference the artwork does not show the artwork on the display. It would display the artwork of MP3s that contained the artwork within the tag. So my expectation on importing MP3s that only referenced artwork was that they would not include the artwork (such as you describe). However, those MP3s that have the artwork imbedded (I imbedded a bunch via a program called mp3tag) would show the artwork when playing from the centre console, however, those same MP3s when imported did not display the artwork.

I'm wondering if the combo box converts the imported MP3s into some other format for storage/playback and consequently looses the associated artwork through that process?

Bill
      01-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Lost-Again
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520 D Alpine White

Clearly there is an issue, in fact quite a few. The combobox is a good step forward but in it's infancy and riddled with bugs. I have noticed an issue with my iPhone, if you connect it to the console USB before turning on the ignition, you get a full functioning connection (including art) but no sound. You have to disconnect and re- connect for the audio to work. This is really frustrating if you are making short stop start journeys!
I don't think it is a ploy to get you to spend more because you cannot import to the HD from the console USB, only the glovebox, which does no appear to support the art. It's just an immature product. BMW obviously thought "if it's ok for Microsoft, why not". Not good for a premium vendor with BMW's reputation. Although I do accept that the product will evolve over the life of the F10/11, but expect each version to do what it was designed to.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
eripers
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 523i

1) I think it is actually to different computers that decode and plays the music files. The glove box USB is connected to the Navigation Computer with HD. This can upload POI, routes and music files to the HD. The USB in the console is connected to the combox.
The nav computer is older and more limited than the combox in what audio files it can play, and also the album art. It would not recognize lossless WMA. So I quickly found the HD a bit useless, and bought an extra USB memory stick and now has 4x16GB filled with WMA lossless files. I never had any issues with this, so I suspect your missing sound is iPhone related. It works if it’s there when I start, and I also when I change USB sticks while driving. The HD import functionality I think is more use full for music in cars without the USB/combox option.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbotcom View Post
However, if I put the same USB stick into the glove box connector and import the songs into my collection, while playback of those same songs via my collection – no images. What is with that?
Artwork display is not supported for playback from hard disk. In addition, playlists (e.g. m3u) files, which work fine from center console USB, do not work from hard disk either.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Artwork display is not supported for playback from hard disk. In addition, playlists (e.g. m3u) files, which work fine from center console USB, do not work from hard disk either.
Thanks for update nosnoop. It is really mind bongling that they would use two seperate processors for the music rather than just one. In other words, just treat the hard disk (my collection) as another source that is fed through the same processor as what is used for the centre console. Oh, well...
      01-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
frenil
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by eripers View Post
The glove box USB is connected to the Navigation Computer with HD. This can upload POI, routes and music files to the HD. The USB in the console is connected to the combox.
I think that is a clever and correct conclusion!
Appreciate 0