2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Podcasts won't play

01-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Podcasts won't play

Collected my Jun'13 520 m-sport F11 prof nav today and duly went home to urinate over the tyres of my 2011 520 SE f11 prof nav (it's going on Monday)

Impressed by the improved ride. Liking the animated menu features etc

Now, music is not my thing. 99% of the time I am in the car alone I am listening to podcasts.

In the old car it really struggled to identify podcasts on my iPhone 5 so I used a 3rd party app and whilst I couldn't control it thru the prof media it would play just fine if controlled from the car (when stationary, naturally).

New car didn't like that. Played 2 seconds then reverted to the music that is on the phone.

No problem thinks I, I can see the prof media interface has been upgraded and podcasts (& audiobooks) are now a selectable menu item. I will go download the apple podcast app and away I go.

Back in the car, now I have the official app and a bunch of downloaded podcasts. In keen anticipation I select Podcasts, select one of my favourites, pick an episode and away we go......

For 4 seconds. Then it skips to the next episode. Again for 4 seconds.

I exit that folder, return to another folder and pick a new podcast. Same thing although about 6 seconds each time on this other one.
Try a third. Same.

I unplug the USB cord and play the podcast thru the phone to see if it's the phone. Nope. All good.

Restart phone. Same problem.

Go to music. Plays perfectly fine.

Anyone seen this before and fixed it?

Like I said, I spend all of my drives listening to podcasts. This car is not fit-for-purpose without that ability so it's a big deal for me.

Appreciate the help. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
hajmuntz
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d lux touring LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Bake View Post
Collected my Jun'13 520 m-sport F11 prof nav today and duly went home to urinate over the tyres of my 2011 520 SE f11 prof nav (it's going on Monday)

Impressed by the improved ride. Liking the animated menu features etc

Now, music is not my thing. 99% of the time I am in the car alone I am listening to podcasts.

In the old car it really struggled to identify podcasts on my iPhone 5 so I used a 3rd party app and whilst I couldn't control it thru the prof media it would play just fine if controlled from the car (when stationary, naturally).

New car didn't like that. Played 2 seconds then reverted to the music that is on the phone.

No problem thinks I, I can see the prof media interface has been upgraded and podcasts (& audiobooks) are now a selectable menu item. I will go download the apple podcast app and away I go.

Back in the car, now I have the official app and a bunch of downloaded podcasts. In keen anticipation I select Podcasts, select one of my favourites, pick an episode and away we go......

For 4 seconds. Then it skips to the next episode. Again for 4 seconds.

I exit that folder, return to another folder and pick a new podcast. Same thing although about 6 seconds each time on this other one.
Try a third. Same.

I unplug the USB cord and play the podcast thru the phone to see if it's the phone. Nope. All good.

Restart phone. Same problem.

Go to music. Plays perfectly fine.

Anyone seen this before and fixed it?

Like I said, I spend all of my drives listening to podcasts. This car is not fit-for-purpose without that ability so it's a big deal for me.

Appreciate the help. Thanks.
Not tried podcasts yet in my Jul 13 LCI. Will try tomorrow and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 02:13 AM   #3
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Have not tried podcasts, but I can play from Napster and Deezer, so I don't see why podcasts should be any different, it's still and audio source

Edit: the 4 second thing sounds like you have a 'preview' function enabled
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 05:41 AM   #4
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter_74 View Post

Edit: the 4 second thing sounds like you have a 'preview' function enabled
I thought the same but it plays fine thru the phone and I can't find a preview setting on the car. Going to try my phone with a friends 5series later
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
BeeEmmDubleYuu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sorry to hijack this thread but can you only play podcasts if you have an iphone? And that being it has to be connected in order for it to work?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 01:29 AM   #6
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEmmDubleYuu
Sorry to hijack this thread but can you only play podcasts if you have an iphone? And that being it has to be connected in order for it to work?
Not sure but certainly many phones are supported. Check out BMW Connected Drive services, it should specify what it is supported.
Appreciate 0