2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Question for those with BMS Stage 1 and N63

03-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
clerkpalmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi M-Sport

Question for those with BMS Stage 1 and N63

Hi,

Just a quick question on BMS Stage 1 on the 550xi. I've had my car for about 6 weeks. I ordered a BMS Stage 1 before I even got the car. I have not yet put it on partly because the car already has so much power, I don't know what to do with it.

My question is whether the Stage 1 affects drivability in any negative manner. The 550 has a bit of turbo lag. Does the Stage 1 increase it at all? Or perhaps it improves it? Throttle response?

Just trying to get your impressions on how it affects every day driving.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerkpalmer View Post
Hi,

Just a quick question on BMS Stage 1 on the 550xi. I've had my car for about 6 weeks. I ordered a BMS Stage 1 before I even got the car. I have not yet put it on partly because the car already has so much power, I don't know what to do with it.

My question is whether the Stage 1 affects drivability in any negative manner. The 550 has a bit of turbo lag. Does the Stage 1 increase it at all? Or perhaps it improves it? Throttle response?

Just trying to get your impressions on how it affects every day driving.

Thanks.
just more power that about it but i suggest get stage 2 it is much better than stage 1.
      03-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

I'll chime in, and my guess is you'll get more replies.

I have a 2011 550i, and stage 1 is a nice improvement over stock performance. I've had my share of fuel injector issues and I have taken it off the car on multiple occasions to take it to the dealer. That said, if I'm going to have my car back for greater than 48 hours I reinstall it (it takes 5 minutes.)

I can't remember the code it throws, but there is one that needs to be cleared. I purchased the Bavarian Technic cable from BMS shortly after getting stage 1 installed. Someone else may be able to give you the exact code to look for, but be aware of that prior to taking the car in for anything more than an oil change (and even then I would remove it to prevent an issue.) I never really got a clear answer to that question prior to purchase.

I won't comment on fuel mileage, because my driving habits combined with fuel injectors failing don't offer much useful information. Throttle response is much improved, and I think many forum members would agree that BMS stage 1 is the most fun you can throw at these cars for the money. It's fun to light the tires up at a stoplight on occasion, and make sure you factor in new tires as a future expense. No negative effects that I've noticed.

I added stage 1 after two months of owning the car, and my 550i has just a tick over 40,000 miles now.
      03-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclions View Post
I'll chime in, and my guess is you'll get more replies.

I have a 2011 550i, and stage 1 is a nice improvement over stock performance. I've had my share of fuel injector issues and I have taken it off the car on multiple occasions to take it to the dealer. That said, if I'm going to have my car back for greater than 48 hours I reinstall it (it takes 5 minutes.)

I can't remember the code it throws, but there is one that needs to be cleared. I purchased the Bavarian Technic cable from BMS shortly after getting stage 1 installed. Someone else may be able to give you the exact code to look for, but be aware of that prior to taking the car in for anything more than an oil change (and even then I would remove it to prevent an issue.) I never really got a clear answer to that question prior to purchase.

I won't comment on fuel mileage, because my driving habits combined with fuel injectors failing don't offer much useful information. Throttle response is much improved, and I think many forum members would agree that BMS stage 1 is the most fun you can throw at these cars for the money. It's fun to light the tires up at a stoplight on occasion, and make sure you factor in new tires as a future expense. No negative effects that I've noticed.

I added stage 1 after two months of owning the car, and my 550i has just a tick over 40,000 miles now.
at about how many miles you had injector issues ?
      03-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I bought the car at 32,000 miles. By 37,000 miles I was getting an occasional stutter at idle, just enough of a stumble to notice.

By 38,000 miles it was hard starting, much harder than normal. The exhaust smell was much worse, to the point that I stopped backing into the garage because it would sting my eyes walking into the house. The stutter became more pronounced, regardless of engine temperature.

I had a misfire / dangerous exhaust temp cylinder #7 code flag, and drove it home from work in limp mode. Called roadside assistance to pick it up, and take it to Checkered Flag BMW in Virginia Beach.

The dealership replaced all four injectors in that bank, but left the other four. I have since gotten the car back, and it is starting to show the occasional stutter, so I think it's time for the other four injectors to be swapped out.

I'm taking it in for a new transmission tomorrow, the transmission shifts fine, but it has made a weird noise in reverse since I've owned it. Nothing scary, more annoying than anything else. The new transmission finally came in from Germany, so I'm not going to complain about a brand new $10,800 transmission. While it's in the shop the service manager is going to evaluate the injectors, but since it is a driveability issue/concern, he is confident they will replace them.

I had another post with some of this information, but the last note is the service manager stated that a new part number for these injectors is available now, and he thinks they redesigned the injectors for replacement as needed or are gearing up for a recall.

BB, how do you like stage 2? I'm patiently waiting for them to be available.
      03-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I bought the car at 32,000 miles. By 37,000 miles I was getting an occasional stutter at idle, just enough of a stumble to notice.

By 38,000 miles it was hard starting, much harder than normal. The exhaust smell was much worse, to the point that I stopped backing into the garage because it would sting my eyes walking into the house. The stutter became more pronounced, regardless of engine temperature.

I had a misfire / dangerous exhaust temp cylinder #7 code flag, and drove it home from work in limp mode. Called roadside assistance to pick it up, and take it to Checkered Flag BMW in Virginia Beach.

The dealership replaced all four injectors in that bank, but left the other four. I have since gotten the car back, and it is starting to show the occasional stutter, so I think it's time for the other four injectors to be swapped out.

I'm taking it in for a new transmission tomorrow, the transmission shifts fine, but it has made a weird noise in reverse since I've owned it. Nothing scary, more annoying than anything else. The new transmission finally came in from Germany, so I'm not going to complain about a brand new $10,800 transmission. While it's in the shop the service manager is going to evaluate the injectors, but since it is a driveability issue/concern, he is confident they will replace them.

I had another post with some of this information, but the last note is the service manager stated that a new part number for these injectors is available now, and he thinks they redesigned the injectors for replacement as needed or are gearing up for a recall.

Hmmm i have 14k miles my exhaust does smell but that's because i have down pipes and a leak i would assume that's not connected to injectors but who knows. Its great and stage 2 is actually available terry has 10 units ready to be sold let me know if you are interested.
      03-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
Jhenka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi
Quote:

Hmmm i have 14k miles my exhaust does smell but that's because i have down pipes and a leak i would assume that's not connected to injectors but who knows. Its great and stage 2 is actually available terry has 10 units ready to be sold let me know if you are interested.
Hey bb what are the prerequisites for the stage 2? Any issues?? And is it a significant boost over the bms +?? I actually would be interested in stage 2 lol
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #8
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenka View Post
Hey bb what are the prerequisites for the stage 2? Any issues?? And is it a significant boost over the bms +?? I actually would be interested in stage 2 lol
Stage 1 was 2.25 PSI stage 2 is 3.0 PSI with better timing and Fueling.
      03-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi View Post
Stage 1 was 2.25 PSI stage 2 is 3.0 PSI with better timing and Fueling.
I think the stage 2 actually makes up to 2psi more than stage 1 default setting.

Stock peak: 10PSI
Stage 1 peak: 12.25PSI
Stage 2 peak: 14-14.5 PSI.

This assumes a stock car on the stock settings.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott135i View Post
I think the stage 2 actually makes up to 2psi more than stage 1 default setting.

Stock peak: 10PSI
Stage 1 peak: 12.25PSI
Stage 2 peak: 14-14.5 PSI.

This assumes a stock car on the stock settings.
it's so fun i get a Bonner every time i get in the car.
      03-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #11
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The red headed guy that used to play for the Spurs? Weird.