2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding droid3 bluetooth message access - limited success

01-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
davesf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 550xi DSB, black nappa

droid3 bluetooth message access - limited success

yesterday i was fishing around in menus of my new 2012 550xi (with the recent software update self-applied, 3.005.004), looking for a way to get office/messages to see the SMS messages on my phone. i'm using a motorola droid3, which i know has some support for bluetooth message-access-protocol because it asked me to approve it when i initially paired.

under the list of paired phones, i opened options on my droid3, and found an option to enable message access over bluetooth (i forget exactly what the option was called). about 30 seconds later, the phone/messages area populated with my sms messages!

however, all is not right in message access land. upon receiving a new sms, the car doesn't show it. there is an option under messages (or maybe office/status) that looks like it should refresh immediately, but after hitting it the message list still didn't contain my new message.

is anyone using bluetooth message access? if so, how quickly does it show new messages?

Past [ 2005 Audi S4 ] [ 1998 Subaru Legacy GT ]
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

I have a 2012 535i xdrive and a HTC Touch Pro 2.

So far, I have been unable to load any messages from my phone to the car, though contacts have transferred and I am able to place and answer calls.

It's kind of sad that I have to consider getting an iPhone to get full functionality out of the car system. What was BMW thinking?!? Windows Mobile, Blackberry and Android compatibility should have been a no brainer...

Speaking of...where are the useful apps?

BTW- first post! Love my new car, and love the forum.

Happy New Year to everyone, and may all enjoy their cars in good health!

Alan
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
davesf
Private
Rep

I dont think android itself has MAP (message access protocol) built in.. it's a vendor specific addition. Motorola added it in the droid x/x2/2/3 motoblur additions.. i don't know if it is in htc sense or not.

Try this..

1) Menu / telephone / bluetooth (phone)
2) option-button
3) configure bluetooth
4) turn on 'office'
5) menu / office / current office
6) option-button
7) update-data

That's how i got my messages displaying.. granted, it's not working that well. It won't remember my preference to filter to 'text messages' only, and it takes too long for new messages to show up to conviently read an sms that comes in while im driving - my major hope for the feature.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesf View Post
I dont think android itself has MAP (message access protocol) built in.. it's a vendor specific addition. Motorola added it in the droid x/x2/2/3 motoblur additions.. i don't know if it is in htc sense or not.

Try this..

1) Menu / telephone / bluetooth (phone)
2) option-button
3) configure bluetooth
4) turn on 'office'
5) menu / office / current office
6) option-button
7) update-data

That's how i got my messages displaying.. granted, it's not working that well. It won't remember my preference to filter to 'text messages' only, and it takes too long for new messages to show up to conviently read an sms that comes in while im driving - my major hope for the feature.
Thanks for the reply Dave.

I cannot find any setting named "current office", so I remain at an impasse. The messages screen just sits there, empty.

Would be nice to see my email as they come in...kind of disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

My HTC EVO 3D displays text messages ok, no emails though. Make sure that on your phone under, Advanced Bluetooth Settings, Message Access Settings, that you have SMS selected. You might try deleting the phone from the Idrive setup, deleting the BMW from your phone, and re-pairing after the MAP settings have been correctly set. My phone prompts me during the setup that the BMW is requesting access to messages and on my phone I have to acknowledge this request.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
davesf
Private
Rep

Quote:
I cannot find any setting named "current office", so I remain at an impasse.
Hit the menu key, then choose office. After that, you might have to hit 'left' once on the stick, because idrive remembers where you were in each menu, so the "office" menu may be on the messages screen. Once you are in "office" and all the way to the "left" you should see the "current office" option. Select it, then hit "option" then you should see the "update data" in the option screen.

As the other poster said, on the HTC, I think you have to go into bluetooth settings on the phone.. then long-press on the BMW for advanced options. Turn on Message-access.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
wang133ro
Private
Rep
Drives: 535d F10

I'm having the same issue (2011 535d). With my previous Galaxy SII, the SMS sync worked for a time, and after that it stopped for another month, then it added a few more messages then for another few weeks ignored new messages.

My current Galaxy Note behaves the same (even after I've upgraded the car's software).

I was considering buying an iphone since my car's Internet connection doesn't work either (and apparently won't in Denmark) and so far Android did not allow BT tethering - only wireless. However I've noticed that according to the compatibility list the iphone cannot sync SMS messages with the BMW at all. Is that true?

Anyway, can someone tell me how exactly they got to the phone BT setting that explicitly mentions SMS sync via BT? I'm not referring to the permission when pairing, since I've already given that.

If i long press on the BMW BT device in the phone's BT settings, I can see some options but there is nothing SMS specific there - or at least I'm unable to find it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #8
davesf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang133ro View Post
I was considering buying an iphone since my car's Internet connection doesn't work either (and apparently won't in Denmark) and so far Android did not allow BT tethering - only wireless.
have you tried PdaNet from the android market? it provides bluetooth DUN on almost any android phone.

Quote:
However I've noticed that according to the compatibility list the iphone cannot sync SMS messages with the BMW at all. Is that true?
afaik, iphone does not support bluetooth map, which means it does not sync sms or email with the car. the feature is primarily a blackberry feature, though it seems some android phones work too. (for some definition of working)

regarding the sporadic sms syncing on your phone... if you are running a home screen replacement, ttry disabling it.

Quote:
Anyway, can someone tell me how exactly they got to the phone BT setting that explicitly mentions SMS sync via BT? I'm not referring to the permission when pairing, since I've already given that.
not all phones have this, because MAP is not in core android currently, it's a vendor specific addition. my droid3 has no such setting, for example, but it does support map and sms sync.

the bmw idrive bluetooth settings hasan enable for 'message access' or something like that.. under the phone/bluetooth/options menu.

Last edited by davesf; 01-09-2012 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
wang133ro
Private
Rep

Thank you for the help!

Quote:
have you tried PdaNet from the android market? it provides bluetooth DUN on almost any android phone.
No, I understand that Android 4 supports it and Samsung has promised to release it this first quarter. Hopefully after the upgrade everything will work... yeah, right :-)

Quote:
regarding the sporadic sms syncing on your phone... if you are running a home screen replacement, ttry disabling it.
Errr... since I'm unsure of what you're referring to, my guess is I'm not :-)

Quote:
the bmw idrive bluetooth settings hasan enable for 'message access' or something like that.. under the phone/blyetooth/options menu.
I'll try to find it this evening - so far my attempts were unable to fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
davesf
Private
Rep

Quote:
No, I understand that Android 4 supports it and Samsung has promised to release it this first quarter. Hopefully after the upgrade everything will work... yeah, right :-)
no need to wait. pdanet is free. just search the market and you can have bluetooth dial-up-networking tether working in minutes.

i'll take some pictures and post a visual guide. my car is a 2012 built in november 2011, so there is always the possibility of something different.

i recommend installing the recent telephonics software upgrade. it's super easy to do yourself.

http://www.bmw.com/update

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #11
wang133ro
Private
Rep

Nope... no messages related setting/option within the BT configuration in my iDrive....

I have updated the software to the latest version from the BMW site.

Regarding the Internet I'm not in a hurry since last summer I went to the BMW dealer and the guy there who's responsible about this matters wasn't able to connect to the Internet using his iPhone... he said I needed to leave the car for them to change some settings...which I guess I'll have to do but am kinda postponing it...

Actually the iPhone was shown as sharing its Internet connection with the iDrive but still the Internet wouldn't work in the car (the car suggested contacting service which was funny since I WAS at the service).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #12
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp. Ed.

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
I read somewhere that the Virtuous Affinity ROM for Android has the MAP feature, I cannot confirm that since I use the Android Revolutions HD ROM myself. Check it out, but you would need to root your handset to get the ROM on it. Could be a more viable option than switching to the iOS.
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S (retired)
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #13
davesf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Nope... no messages related setting/option within the BT configuration in my iDrive....
be careful you are accessing it from the right place.. i found i had to go to the list of phones, then scroll to my phone,he hit the options button, then scroll to bluetooth options and select it.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
davesf
Private
Rep

Here is a set of screenshots from my doing this "office enable". Remember it's:

1) telephone hard button
2) push idrive controller "left" (to get to telephone root menu)
3) select "Bluetooth (phone)"
4) hover over your phone in "connected" (don't select it)
5) hit "option" hard button
6) scroll down to "Configure Bluetooth", select it
7) check the "Office" box
Attached Images

Appreciate 0