2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Few Quirks about my F10

03-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #1
mragarg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Few Quirks about my F10

Once again, I come to the forums bearing questions and would love to receive some advice or information regarding them!
  1. Depend on what surface I drive on and everything (usually a turn on brick roads) the car seems to slide or lose a lot of grip in the rear wheels. I looked on the forums and I think it's because of the run flats. Also is this known as tramline?
  2. What do you guys think about adding this into the car? Here is a link to the YouTube video. (I can't figure out how to add the video browser here)I love having nice lighting in the inside of the car but does this look ricer? I saw the set for four LED strips at AutoZone with a hub and cigarette connector for around $70. It connects to your cell through bluetooth and it's very customizable!
  3. Another thing is that my car has the rear sunshades on the doors. On the rear driver's side doors, the hooks that hold the shade is backwards. Instead of the hook facing towards the window, it's facing the interior of the car. Is there an easy way to fix this without me having to take it to the collision place where I got it fixed?

Thanks in advance!
1972 Mercedes Benz 280 SEL
2014 BMW 550i
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #2
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mragarg View Post
[*]What do you guys think about adding this into the car? Here is a link to the YouTube video. (I can't figure out how to add the video browser here)I love having nice lighting in the inside of the car but does this look ricer? I saw the set for four LED strips at AutoZone with a hub and cigarette connector for around $70. It connects to your cell through bluetooth and it's very customizable!
Matter of personal preference, but I think that looks cheesy and just doesn't belong. I quite like the faint orange glow of stock lighting, front and back seats look fantastic, classy and relaxing offering just enough light.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Ditch the RF's.
Yes, too ricey.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
mragarg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Matter of personal preference, but I think that looks cheesy and just doesn't belong. I quite like the faint orange glow of stock lighting, front and back seats look fantastic, classy and relaxing offering just enough light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
Ditch the RF's.
Yes, too ricey.
I'm planning to ditch them once they go bad. I have 12k miles and the thread still looks good on them . How long do they last usually? I plan on switching to Michelin A/S 3 at Costco immediately!
1972 Mercedes Benz 280 SEL
2014 BMW 550i
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

Rears can be a lot quicker than the fronts. Just go look at what tires you got, and google them for expected treadlife.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 01:07 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

biggest improvement for me was switching from RF's to normal tires. big difference in handling and smoother almost like butter on my normal commutes. as far as turning on brick surfaces i've noticed that's just how it feels because of the inconsistent brick patterns and not enough tire contact? as far as the lighting goes i love the stock amber as is...not too bright and not too dark! just right!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm planning to ditch them once they go bad. I have 12k miles and the thread still looks good on them . How long do they last usually?
Don't worry, not very long, they'll be gone in no time

It really depends though, I hated stock RF tires and replaced them with high performance summer, non run flat set, which resulted in super smooth ride and excellent grip. I am not exactly thrilled to be driving around with no spare if I'm honest though. My winters are high performance Dunlop tires, and I don't find them nearly as harsh ride as stock Goodyear all season tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Don't worry, not very long, they'll be gone in no time

It really depends though, I hated stock RF tires and replaced them with high performance summer, non run flat set, which resulted in super smooth ride and excellent grip. I am not exactly thrilled to be driving around with no spare if I'm honest though. My winters are high performance Dunlop tires, and I don't find them nearly as harsh ride as stock Goodyear all season tires.
i have the same Dunlops on my OEM 20's but they're summer tires and i know during the winter if i drove the car...it felt like i was driving on bricks! are your Dunlops snow tires?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i have the same Dunlops on my OEM 20's but there summer tires and i know during the winter if i drove the car...it felt like i was driving on bricks! are your Dunlops snow tires?
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D DSST... but, on 18" wheels for winters. Rim size difference between mine and yours will probably make huge difference in terms of how harsh the ride feels.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 05:40 PM   #10
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Once again, I come to the forums bearing questions and would love to receive some advice or information regarding them!
[*]What do you guys think about adding this into the car? Here is a link to the YouTube video. (I can't figure out how to add the video browser here)I love having nice lighting in the inside of the car but does this look ricer? I saw the set for four LED strips at AutoZone with a hub and cigarette connector for around $70. It connects to your cell through bluetooth and it's very customizable!
Quote:
Ditto. Waaaaay too ricey and very cheesy. Belongs in a Thing (anyone else remember those?) Civic.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #11
Alcenos
Field Marshal 🔱
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition (F90)

Garage List
Quote:
Depend on what surface I drive on and everything (usually a turn on brick roads) the car seems to slide or lose a lot of grip in the rear wheels. I looked on the forums and I think it's because of the run flats. Also is this known as tramline?
Are you sure that you have enough tred and that your back end is not just drifting? I could not remember if you had xDrive or not.

Quote:
What do you guys think about adding this into the car? Here is a link to the YouTube video. (I can't figure out how to add the video browser here)I love having nice lighting in the inside of the car but does this look ricer? I saw the set for four LED strips at AutoZone with a hub and cigarette connector for around $70. It connects to your cell through bluetooth and it's very customizable!
Definately, no. It is ricey. I also happen to like the amber working on the submarine look.

Quote:
Another thing is that my car has the rear sunshades on the doors. On the rear driver's side doors, the hooks that hold the shade is backwards. Instead of the hook facing towards the window, it's facing the interior of the car. Is there an easy way to fix this without me having to take it to the collision place where I got it fixed?
Sorry, I cannot help on this one.
2002 E46 325i - Space Grey (retired)
1999 E46 328i - Orient Blue (retired)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #12
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Lights would look really cool!!!!..............in a Zoom Zoom that is
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #13
w210e55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 535i msport

curious about the rft's too, will be switching them out when it's time to get new tires.

def too ricer on the lights

not too sure about the last one as I don't have those.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 08:04 PM   #14
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mragarg
  1. Depend on what surface I drive on and everything (usually a turn on brick roads) the car seems to slide or lose a lot of grip in the rear wheels. I looked on the forums and I think it's because of the run flats. Also is this known as tramline?
  2. What do you guys think about adding this into the car? Here is a link to the YouTube video. (I can't figure out how to add the video browser here)I love having nice lighting in the inside of the car but does this look ricer? I saw the set for four LED strips at AutoZone with a hub and cigarette connector for around $70. It connects to your cell through bluetooth and it's very customizable!
  3. Another thing is that my car has the rear sunshades on the doors. On the rear driver's side doors, the hooks that hold the shade is backwards. Instead of the hook facing towards the window, it's facing the interior of the car. Is there an easy way to fix this without me having to take it to the collision place where I got it fixed?

Thanks in advance!
- Not Tramlining, probably not RFT's, probably an overactive right foot.

- To each his own, but they would seem to be left on the shelf at Auto Zone and not installed in your BMW.

- #3 Phillips Head screwdriver. There is a little cover on the bottom of the hook, pull towards the side that should face the interior, loosen the screw, twist the hook to position, tighten screw. Repeat.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 11:21 PM   #15
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Agreed on the RFTs, I hate them, just waiting until I can get my new wheels before replacing mine. As for the lights? Yes, they look like crap. If you want better lighting inside the car I would go with an LED interior kit, they simply replace the stock interior bulbs with brighter LED bulbs. Still looks good, but remains classy.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 06:38 AM   #16
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Re RFTs. I find that they can skip, ir on a sweeping corner that has some bumps in it, the car momentarily skips sideways, not much but it can be felt.
Tramlining is the other obvious 'feature'.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #17
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Advice, when in doubt try to mod "understated" when it comes to non performance/visual additions.

the Ambience lighting that is standard on the car is as such and in fact should never distract you from the task of driving. In fact, its a feature I rarely recognize because its subtle. Most enhancements should be as such and "it just adds up".

Since you asked.

Not that it matters, but If I saw those lights in your car I'd Roll my eyes. If I saw it on an Civic I'd think it was "cute" if on a young persons car.

I was showing my car to someone recently who has a mini and she asked me if the interior ambience lights change color as it does on her car. Jokingly I replied "Why would I want to?" She said, "cuz its cool". I replied, "my car is not cool, its serious". I was joking of course as she is a good friend but the on a deeper level the Mini is a "fun" car and the lighting is a nice fun feature. If I sound snobbish a bit I apologize.
      03-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #18
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargamon View Post
If I sound snobbish a bit I apologize.
If you drive a BMW, you're a snob.
If you drive an Audi, you're a douche.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #19
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
If you drive a BMW, you're a snob.
If you drive an Audi, you're a douche.
My wife drives an Audi..........We are what we are!!!!