2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 weight/size/weight distribution

04-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
bum944
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

F10 weight/size/weight distribution

As a former E39 owner and prospective F10 owner, I've been a bit behind in keeping up with the F10 info. I must admit to having some concerns about the design direction of this model.

I really liked the previous generations which seemed to be more like an up-sized 3 series, but now I've heard they are more like a down-sized 7 series which is borne out by the dimensions.

Another concern is the weight which I think I read is around 400 lbs heavier! With new emissions and fuel consumption rules in America, isn't this the opposite direction to go? Granted, America is only one market, but a significant one I think.

I even read a so-so road test somewhere and CAR (the UK magazine) has questioned whether BMW is is still "the ultimate driving machine" in order to attract a wider audience presumably for survival purposes.

I recall when the E60 was introduced, BMW stated the purpose of the aluminum front structure was to keep a roughly 50/50 weight distribution. Now they are back to steel, but with aluminum for the hood and doors? (front fenders too?) Does the new model still keep the 50/50 weight distribution? This has always been one of BMW's biggest advantages although there are tradeoffs like less interior space and maybe trunk as well.

So, maybe from my lack of keeping up, this model seems a bit too big and heavy although it has better proportions especially in the rear which I could never get over to consider an E60. Please tell me my concerns are due to ignorance and this model is a step in the right direction. I'm concerned about buying a car that weighs about as much as an SUV.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I personally feel the F10 is the natural progression from the E39, rather than from the E60.

The weight according to BMW data is 110kgs heavier (auto) than the E60 in standard spec.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
Rich535d
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 525d F10 auto

Garage List
2010 525d SE  [0.00]
Yes, BMW claim 50:50 weight distribution. Whilst it may be heavier, it does use aluminium (aluminum for US readers!) for doors, bonnet (hood) and boot (trunk).
As far as emissions are concerned, F10 is way ahead of E60; likewise with fuel consumption
      04-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
Whteverjklasdf
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

What's with the obsession with the 50/50 weight dist.? Many cars with excellent handling do not have such weight distribution.

Let's face it... cars have grown in every makes and models. One cannot expect to buy something new and hoping they would stay the same.
Appreciate 0