2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Music Collection /MP3 Question

11-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
scoobdawg
Private
Rep
Drives: f10

Music Collection /MP3 Question

Hoping someone might be able to help - I tried importing some music using the USB in the glove compartment - Whenever I try to play the album via Music collection it only plays it in Alphabetical order - If I play it off the USB key everything plays correctly in the right order - Is there some "BMW Trick" here? The music is in its own folder - Each song has 01 or 02 etc before it and the files each have mp3 tags - Any ideas??? Importing MP3's should not be this difficult!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

For the most part the engine behind Music Collection ignores the meta-tags when importing mp3s. For greater clarity the behavior from the USB is it plays songs alphabetically when the selection criteria does not include and album or a playlist. In otherwords it only plays the songs "in order" when playing an album (if the track meta-tag is in the file) or a playlist. Unforetunately I don't have access to my car to confirm but I believe (some please correct me if I'm wrong) the Music Collection only plays songs in the correct order when: playing from playlist; and by album order recorded directly off of CD (this would be the order in which reads the songs off of the CD). In the case of importing from USB it ignores the meta-tags and imports the songs in the dierctory order (which probably defaults to alphabetical). To get around this you must creat a playlist for each album with the tracks in the correct order and then do your playback via the playlists.

Personally I gave up on using the Music Collection as it doesn't have the album art, etc. and simply manage a 32GB USB that I keep in the console.

Bill