2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding What do I need to run this sub in my new F10 with HK hi-fi option ?

03-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

What do I need to run this sub in my new F10 with HK hi-fi option ?

Hi,

I have this JL Audio boxed sub that I want to put in the boot/trunk of my new 535d, to fill in the sub-60hz hole left by the factory underseat woofers:

http://www.jlaudio.co.uk/product/0/9.../CS113TG-TW5v2

(and, no, I didn't pay that much for it !)

The car has the Harman Kardon hi-fi option. I understand this means the signal from the head unit to the factory amp is optical digital. I also seem to recall the peak voltages on the speaker outputs are too high to feed straight into a separate amp for the sub, even if that separate amp claims to cope with speaker level inputs. Also that there is roll-off below 60hz in the outputs from the factory amp, even to the underseat subs.

I haven't bought the amp yet, but am a big fan of anything Alpine that's class D. Have been as impressed by their stuff as JL Audio's, at lower prices and with greater reliability.

Can anyone recommend me (i) an amp (ii) harness/cabling/converters to make the sub installation as plug and play as possible and get decent extension below 60hz ?

Many thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #2
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Looks like I need the harness mentioned at the end of this post:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=66

Will PM Technic to check it works on latest F10 HK option.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

If you have hi-fi, then its goes down to 50Hz.
If you have top hi-fi then it goes down to 40Hz and there is no hole sub 60Hz FYI.
      03-31-2015, 03:07 AM   #4
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Makkan - sorry, just realised you'd replied a while ago.

You're right - now the car's arrived and I've tested the HK system out with a few favourite tracks, it does seem to extend significantly below 60Hz. Much better than the 676 "advanced" system that was in my previous F10. I don't really think I need the extra sub, not when I'm going to be mostly listening at moderate volumes and on the move.

Very impressed with the HK sound so far (by factory system standards at least): enough power, reasonably transparent, doesn't get harsh at higher volumes, just a slightly warm bloom to the sound which is actually ideal against a bit of background road noise. Have knocked the equaliser down a notch at 200hz and down a couple of notches at 1khz, up a notch at 10khz, and kept everything else neutral.
Appreciate 0