2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Michelin Super Sport on a 18 inch wheels

03-20-2014, 03:40 AM   #1
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Michelin Super Sport on a 18 inch wheels

Hi folks,

Need help, I found a good offer on Michelin Super Sport for my F10 with 18 inch wheels, the tire shop requested I check if they ok for my car, when on Michelin website, they have no tires recommended for the 18inch, only for the 19inch when choosing a F10. I was only checking the dimensions, weight limit and speed when looking for tires, but now no longer sure if there is more to it. Hence can anyone advise if the following set is fine for a 520d F10?

245/45/18 Michelin Super Sport 100Y
275/40/18 Michelin Super Sport 99y

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

If you've got staggered 18" oem wheels, I see no reason for them not to fit.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

It’s the standard M Double-spoke 350 M supplied originally with the car, BMW star rating is only on the front ones and not on the back ones, wonder why, is down to 99y I not sure but at the prices I am to pay for the set I like to see the BMW star rating on all front and back.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Hi folks,

Need help, I found a good offer on Michelin Super Sport for my F10 with 18 inch wheels, the tire shop requested I check if they ok for my car, when on Michelin website, they have no tires recommended for the 18inch, only for the 19inch when choosing a F10. I was only checking the dimensions, weight limit and speed when looking for tires, but now no longer sure if there is more to it. Hence can anyone advise if the following set is fine for a 520d F10?

245/45/18 Michelin Super Sport 100Y
275/40/18 Michelin Super Sport 99y

thanks
Are these Run Flats or standard?
      03-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Standards, hence the number of missing details when trying to nail down Michelin or Conti for 18inch wheel, with the Michelin I get the same front and back, Super Sport but with the BMW star missing on the Back one's, with the Conti the offers consist of a mix, front on Continental Sport Contact 5 and Sport Contact 2 for the back ones, but all with the BMW star.

So trying to make my mind up, am I better off going for a mix and all approved or the Michelin all 4 same type but back ones missing the BMW star ones?

I currently have my Vredestein winter non run flat set on, no BMW stars on them, 2nd winter with no problems, very good balance between performance and comfort, the reason why I am slightly more concerned about my choice is the one the high price for both Michelin and Conti, and the fact I am going for the Performance pack upgrade soon after mounting the summer set, the choice have to be spot on I guess!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

On a general note
... I would not go with a standard tyre, I would always choose Run Flats. The extra safety provided is well worth the (relative) loss of comfort.

Quote:
Standards, hence the number of missing details when trying to nail down Michelin or Conti for 18inch wheel, with the Michelin I get the same front and back, Super Sport but with the BMW star missing on the Back one's, with the Conti the offers consist of a mix, front on Continental Sport Contact 5 and Sport Contact 2 for the back ones, but all with the BMW star.

So trying to make my mind up, am I better off going for a mix and all approved or the Michelin all 4 same type but back ones missing the BMW star ones?

I currently have my Vredestein winter non run flat set on, no BMW stars on them, 2nd winter with no problems, very good balance between performance and comfort, the reason why I am slightly more concerned about my choice is the one the high price for both Michelin and Conti, and the fact I am going for the Performance pack upgrade soon after mounting the summer set, the choice have to be spot on I guess!
      03-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Honestly you should be fine mixing front and rears, as long as the load rating on the tires and whatnot is okay to support the weight of your vehicle. I've never had any customer ask me about this in particular, and there are plenty of people with BMWs running PSSes.
      03-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thanks Folks for the feedbacks, I checked with Michelin and they confirmed that the tires in question are good for the model I have even with the missing BMW star for the rear, and my contact at my BMW dealership also confirmed this too, and the feedback he also got just like most of the treads in this forum on the Conti vs. Mich, the Michelin are the better choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thanks gspannu, I agree with you, but after going for winter set and non Run flat set, believe me the difference was straight in your face, I spent half of my life in London and now in the West of Ireland the roads are more or less the same, but maybe more fun here because of the B roads as my commute different to my old slow city journeys in London, hence maybe why I do noticed the big difference in comfort. the other element because our roads are not like the one in Germany, the Run flat tires life is pretty reduced too, and when I am paying for Michelin set over 1k Euros I like them to last too.
for my old E60, I stayed with the Run flat until I switched to 19in rims, and it was BMW who stopped providing them on Run flat due to the damage caused to the alloys for UK and Ireland.
I agree with you, but after going for winter set and non Runflat set, believe me the difference was straight in your face, I spend half of my life in London and now in the West of Ireland the roads are more or less the same, but maybe more fun here because of the B roads I am in the country side, with a good lengthy B roads as my every day journey rather than slow city trafic like London, hence maybe I noticed the big difference in confort.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 03:32 AM   #10
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks gspannu, I agree with you, but after going for winter set and non Run flat set, believe me the difference was straight in your face, I spent half of my life in London and now in the West of Ireland the roads are more or less the same, but maybe more fun here because of the B roads as my commute different to my old slow city journeys in London, hence maybe why I do noticed the big difference in comfort. the other element because our roads are not like the one in Germany, the Run flat tires life is pretty reduced too, and when I am paying for Michelin set over 1k Euros I like them to last too.
for my old E60, I stayed with the Run flat until I switched to 19in rims, and it was BMW who stopped providing them on Run flat due to the damage caused to the alloys for UK and Ireland.
I agree with you, but after going for winter set and non Runflat set, believe me the difference was straight in your face, I spend half of my life in London and now in the West of Ireland the roads are more or less the same, but maybe more fun here because of the B roads I am in the country side, with a good lengthy B roads as my every day journey rather than slow city trafic like London, hence maybe I noticed the big difference in confort.
You are probably right. Run Flats can be uncomfortable (too harsh, especially on bad roads). That is why I had specced Variable Damper Control (VDC) on both my F10 cars - and the difference is big. In Comfort+ mode, I do not even know that I am running Run Flats, the suspension just smooths thing out...
      03-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #11
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
You are probably right. Run Flats can be uncomfortable (too harsh, especially on bad roads). That is why I had specced Variable Damper Control (VDC) on both my F10 cars - and the difference is big. In Comfort+ mode, I do not even know that I am running Run Flats, the suspension just smooths thing out...
Have it too, and always on the comfort settings, trust me you still see the difference between run flat and non, on the other hand if you never experience the normal tyres in your car you simply be more likely to go on enjoying the run flat with the Damper control, I had the experience with my E60 even with out Dampers C, I guess for me it was down to when I went for winter tyres, didn’t want to go for run flat set, the cost and the little snow/ very cold weather we get here simply did not add up, but it did exposed me to the difference between run flat and non, hence determined not to go back on run flat! With my wife X3 run flat for summer tyres is probably the way forward down to harshness of run flat somehow reduced with the 4X4 aspect..
Appreciate 0