2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Driver seat starting to squeak.

04-28-2020, 09:24 PM   #1
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

Driver seat starting to squeak.

Any of your driver seat squeak when going over bumps or speed humps? My neighborhood have some speed hump and now when going over it at a slow speed my seat squeaks when supporting my weight on them humps. Maybe my car is telling me to lose some weight because it doesnt squeak when my wife drives over them. The squeaking sounds more like it's coming from the back rest. The squeak sounds like a the bed springs from the song "some cut" by trillville.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 07:12 AM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by top ramen View Post
Any of your driver seat squeak when going over bumps or speed humps? My neighborhood have some speed hump and now when going over it at a slow speed my seat squeaks when supporting my weight on them humps. Maybe my car is telling me to lose some weight because it doesnt squeak when my wife drives over them. The squeaking sounds more like it's coming from the back rest. The squeak sounds like a the bed springs from the song "some cut" by trillville.
It's probably the plastic trim pieces squeaking against the leather or against one another. You can use some silicone based grease and put a little in the offending area with a cotton swab. Mine started some of this kind of thing this winter after 8 years of relative silence. It was a common thing required in my E39 days.

For the lubricant, the point is that it doesn't damage leather or plastic, not that there are extreme requirements on lubrication performance in this application. You don't want to use something petroleum based which will soften plastic etc... "Super Lube", Syl glide, perhaps even a bit of silicone spray would be good.
Appreciate 0