2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Need your opinion! Door replacement? Scraped door / sideskirt.

05-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
Tachyon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ares I

Exclamation Need your opinion! Door replacement? Scraped door / sideskirt.

I'm very interested in purchasing a local '12 535i M Sport but one thing that has me hesitating is the fact that the driver side door and side skirt is scraped. The rest of the car checks out, otherwise (save for a faulty rear sunshade and a minor oil leak somewhere the oil filter housing). It has 120K miles, new Michelin PS rubber all around, and a current owner who's been fairly meticulous with the cars mechanical upkeep.

Now, to the scrape. The original owner (prior to the current second one) did a shoddy job of applying touch up paint over it - I'm not even sure if it's the OEM graphite gray color. The lower body crease on the door is pushed in. I snapped some pics to get the forum's collective opinion on it. In your opinion, would PDR be able to fix this? I'm thinking it will need a new door, sideskirt, and paint to get it fixed. Owner is asking $9K for it.

Pic 1:
View post on imgur.com

Pic 2:
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
Themarkymark
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 Imperial Blue 535i xDrive

I’m not experienced in performing bodywork but I would say that’s beyond the scope of PDR. However, I can’t speak as to whether the right body shop could repair the door/skirt or if they’d have to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Had a similar issue on a previous car. The door skin will most likely need replacement; unless you're OK with Bondo. The skirt is probably an easy, not too expensive (I would estimate ~$300, but you can DIY). The oil filter housing gasket is a NOW repair. How good are you with a wrench (there are also issues with possible air bubbles after the repair; info here somewhere)?

How badly do you want the car? Seems it wasn't cared-for very well. There are probably better examples out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
Tachyon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themarkymark View Post
I’m not experienced in performing bodywork but I would say that’s beyond the scope of PDR. However, I can’t speak as to whether the right body shop could repair the door/skirt or if they’d have to be replaced.
I was thinking so, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Had a similar issue on a previous car. The door skin will most likely need replacement; unless you're OK with Bondo. The skirt is probably an easy, not too expensive (I would estimate ~$300, but you can DIY). The oil filter housing gasket is a NOW repair. How good are you with a wrench (there are also issues with possible air bubbles after the repair; info here somewhere)?

How badly do you want the car? Seems it wasn't cared-for very well. There are probably better examples out there.
Definitely not okay with bondo. Also, you're absolutely right about the potential oil filter housing gasket being a major NOW fix. The current owner said he was planning to do the oil change on it soon and invited me to come over/snap pics of exactly where a leak could be. He's pretty firm on $9K, I offered him $7,5K on it as is (address door/sideskirt damage, oil leak, and new battery).

May I ask how much it cost you to properly repair the door on yours?
      05-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post

Don't know as it was part of a larger repair. I do know that what looked like a minor side-swipe was around $5K. They couldn't get a new skin, so replaced the whole door.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:54 PM   #6
Tachyon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Don't know as it was part of a larger repair. I do know that what looked like a minor side-swipe was around $5K. They couldn't get a new skin, so replaced the whole door.
Thanks for following up! I passed on this particular car. The bodyshop quoted $3100 in repairs.
      05-11-2020, 10:00 PM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for following up! I passed on this particular car. The bodyshop quoted $3100 in repairs.
Sounds about right...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
I was thinking so, too.

Definitely not okay with bondo. Also, you're absolutely right about the potential oil filter housing gasket being a major NOW fix. The current owner said he was planning to do the oil change on it soon and invited me to come over/snap pics of exactly where a leak could be. He's pretty firm on $9K, I offered him $7,5K on it as is (address door/sideskirt damage, oil leak, and new battery).

9-7.5 is still kinda high given the mileage and the damage. Probably still a good car otherwise, sucks how there is no value in these cars. Plenty of clean cars for 10-12 elsewhere. ALSO if that door is pushed in, the whole thing is offset and probably causes air noise when driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:18 PM   #9
Tachyon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
9-7.5 is still kinda high given the mileage and the damage. Probably still a good car otherwise, sucks how there is no value in these cars. Plenty of clean cars for 10-12 elsewhere. ALSO if that door is pushed in, the whole thing is offset and probably causes air noise when driving.
I agree. It also had a huge rock chip right in the middle of a pitted windshield that needed its weather stripping replaced, etc. Just way too much work for what the guy was asking (9.5K). He says he sold it to a co-worker yesterday so it's fully off my consideration list. On the hunt for a solid M Sport.
Appreciate 0