2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Hood won't open

05-11-2020, 08:06 AM   #1
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

Hood won't open

I installed a set of H&R Lowering Springs in my 2014 535 Xdrive. After I was done I shut the hood and then went to pop it and now only the passenger side latch releases. Any idea what I did? or how I can get the hood open??

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:08 AM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Not sure what would cause your hood from opening from a spring install? I'm not sure what other way to open the hood. Good luck with that
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Not sure what would cause your hood from opening from a spring install?
Same, but that was the only thing I touched on the car and the latch was working fine at the start on the install.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
beegeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

Try lightly pushing down on the hood where that latch is while someone pulls the release.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep

Just thought I would add how I managed to get it open in case anyone is searching in the future.

After removing the wheel liner on the driver side, you can just barely see the hood release cables running between the coolant reservoir and the body of the car. I managed to hook onto them with some thick wire and pull quite hard (a coat hanger was to flimsy and would bend) which got the latch to activate.

There is a plastic collar on the hood latch cable where it hooks into the latch mechanism. I must have knocked this collar out of the slot it sits in when I was moving around the coolant reservoir to access the suspension bolts for the spring install. I popped the collar back into the slot and all is well.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 08:53 AM   #6
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTSi View Post
Just thought I would add how I managed to get it open in case anyone is searching in the future.

After removing the wheel liner on the driver side, you can just barely see the hood release cables running between the coolant reservoir and the body of the car. I managed to hook onto them with some thick wire and pull quite hard (a coat hanger was to flimsy and would bend) which got the latch to activate.

There is a plastic collar on the hood latch cable where it hooks into the latch mechanism. I must have knocked this collar out of the slot it sits in when I was moving around the coolant reservoir to access the suspension bolts for the spring install. I popped the collar back into the slot and all is well.
I was gonna say the route you took is correct