2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes "Oversized" Wheels causing Rotor Warping?

09-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
jblumel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

"Oversized" Wheels causing Rotor Warping?

I recently went to my dealership for my routine maintenance and informed them about a shuddering I was getting when braking.

They were able to reproduce it (thank goodness) and told me that they "think" my "oversized aftermarket wheels" were the cause of the front, driver-side rotor warping. Then they informed me that they would make the repair "as a good faith gesture" but that if it happens again, they won't fix it.

I have a 2011 F10 535ix w/Sport Package and I'm running 20x9 in the front, and 20x10 in the rear. (LACSTERS old Nuteks).

I have found no evidence to support their claim and have asked them to provide some evidence to back it up if they are going to void any future warranty on the rotors.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I say, BS.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

It's possible...won't say that it is inevitable. Three common things that I know of that can warp rotors: overheating, improperly torqued, a wheel that is not machined well (i.e., the mating surface to the hub must be nice and flat).

Well, there is one other thing, if the offset is way off the factory spec, it could apply excessive torque to things, but it has more of an effect on bearings.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
jblumel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

I think we got it sorted out. My wheels are not "oversized" by any stretch of the imagination for BMW's and the offset is not extreme. I verified all these things with the service rep.

They did find a way over-torqued lug that had stripped the threads on the hub. No doubt leading to the rotor warping I was in for. This was done by the local Discount Tire, so now I'm off to see if they will step up and pay for a new hub before I warp another rotor.
Appreciate 0