2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK My 2011 F10 BMW

01-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
Nasman
Private
Rep
Drives: 640d F06 Gran Coupe

Thumbs up My 2011 F10 BMW

Hi guys and girls

I've been viewing various threads on here over the last six months and finally took the plunge in buying a 2.5 year old 530d F10 M Sport (June 2011). All I can say is WOW! Moving from a 6 year old 320d has been a total shock to the system. I opted for the passive M sport suspension purely because there weren't any others out there in carbon black with a sunroof with the adaptive drive. If i had specced myself I definitely would have ordered adaptive drive - hopefully next time! I'm getting it detailed this weekend and will add some photos on Sunday at some point to get everyone's learned opinion!

To give you a flavour, the spec at present:

F10 530d (180kw 245 bhp)
Carbon black
M Sport kit with black tail pipes
Gloss black Shadow line exterior trim (but chrome door handle inserts - why???)
Piano black interior trim
Sports auto box
Glass sunroof
Anthracite headlining with black carpet
Oyster/black leather interior (looks classy)
19" 351 M alloys
Power boot
Auto Adaptive xenon headlights with high beam assist
Rain sensor wipers
Heated electric folding mirrors
Heated and electric seats (front)
DVD
Bluetooth enhanced
ConnectedDRive with BMW Assist
Media package with Professional Nav
Ambient lighting (one of my favourite features)
Sun protection glass
Cruise control (non assisted)

Extras I would like:

Rear parking camera (not sure I want to pay £1k for a retrofit - opinions please)
Tyre pressure monitor (unsure if this can be done)
Gloss black kidney grille (unsure but do like the aggressive look - opinions)
LED interior lights (will do in the next two weeks - opinions)
Internet (will speak to the guru about this)
Comfort access (not going to happen)

And next week the Guru himself (GS Pannu) will be doing some coding...what a legend he is.

Ciao for now!

Nasser
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Good choice, the chrome strips in the handles indicate that you have ambient lighting, which is standard on the 530 I believe
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
Nasman
Private
Rep

Oh I see. Still not sure about them though - they look fine on lighter colours but on black are a little in your face. So, not all f10s come with the chrome trim on the handles? How are you finding the newer version?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasman View Post
Oh I see. Still not sure about them though - they look fine on lighter colours but on black are a little in your face. So, not all f10s come with the chrome trim on the handles? How are you finding the newer version?
The chrome trim will be on everything except 520d and lower which do not have it as standard. Personally I like it, but I can see why you would'nt with black on black exterior. What some people have done is have black vinyl cut and stuck over them, which looks nice and a cheap removable mod.

I am loving mine, ony 2k into it, but a massive step up on the E60, and the tech is brilliant. Such a piece of kit. I loved my E60, but have not looked back I have to say!
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
Nasman
Private
Rep

Just had a look at your post with the pics, love the Space Grey - I'm having that next! I'm with you on the oyster interior, never in my wildest dreams did I consider it but when I saw it in the flesh...done deal! The MFD looks amazing and for £520 is an absolute bargain - I'd drop the camera for that. What kind of deal did you get on the options? Reason I ask is because I'm looking to move my one on in a year or so and spec a new one but never roughy a new car so not sure about the process.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Welcome.

Nice spec, look forward to seeing the car.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
FRG
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 325d M Sport

Congratulations, sounds like a nice spec.

I've just checked my VIN here http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/ and have realised that I have the Ambient Lighting pack. After a quick google I've noticed from the images I've seen that mine is no where near that bright so where/how do I adjust it? I've not noticed a setting for it on the iDrive?

I have ordered some BMW Perf. front grilles but they're on backorder (one side only believe it or not?!). I might not have a use for them now though as I might be wrapping my chrome ones. If I don't use them they'll be up for sale if you're interested?

Cheers

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
Nasman
Private
Rep

Thanks Balster, pics will be up Sunday. Going to buy a camera on tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #9
Nasman
Private
Rep

I will be interested - can you PM when they arrive, in two minds about it but will probably go with them and then change back when I sell. As far as I can see, there is no way to make ambient lighting any brighter other than the switch next to the headlight switch which fades your dials in/out. The newer models have the option to brighten I believe - classic and modern. The older models don't unless GS Pannu can code it in?! Obviously, the darker the area you are in, the brighter they are. Not as bright if you live in a well lit street in town but I imagine they are pretty good somewhere in the sticks!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #10
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Nas, the ambient is definitely brighter in the country, but never that bright I have to say.

We used a driver for a black tie event at christmas, so got to sit in the back, and it is amazing how light they are when you are away from the dials etc

Piers
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #11
Nasman
Private
Rep

Oh ok, love the feature though, adds a bit of class to an already impressive interior. It could also be that photos pick up more light. Will have play on Sunday and see what the outcome is. There is a video on YouTube where the ambient lighting looks very bright in the modern mode (blue); here is the link

Did you have a butler too Piers!?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #12
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasman View Post
Oh ok, love the feature though, adds a bit of class to an already impressive interior. It could also be that photos pick up more light. Will have play on Sunday and see what the outcome is. There is a video on YouTube where the ambient lighting looks very bright in the modern mode (blue);

Did you have a butler too Piers!?
Haha strictly a one off, and cheaper than a taxi back and forth at christmas!!

I would say those modern lights are aftermarket Nas
Appreciate 0