2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding CIC Video from USB in 2011 f10

06-05-2020, 02:56 AM   #1
MistaScaramanga
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

Angry CIC Video from USB in 2011 f10

Hi,

Is it possible to play music videos / films from a USB in the arm rest on a 2011 F10 with CIC?

I have tried to play MP4's on a 64gb usb but it doesn't work

Can it be coded or need to be a specific video file format?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

CIC doesn't play video from USB. Only NBT. One reason I wish I had a 2013+
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #3
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

You can retrofit NBT. It's a bit of work but not too expensive since you can piece together a full set fairly easily. If you have a car built prior to 9/11 then you have some more complications in terms of the PDC/HDC/Camera buttons, but for anyone with a post 9/11 car (Essentially the ICM was changed since 9/11 and the PDC/HDC/Camera buttons on center console connect directly to ICM)the NBT retrofit isn't that bad at all..

You can find the NBT headhunt for under $200 and the display also for under $200, touch controller and touch ecu for another $200 and then the emulator for around $100. Then its just wiring and there are kits available from Chinese vendors on eBay for cheap for mic and LVDS/HSD cables for the back of the headunit.

Once you do NBT retrofit, if you wanted to, going to NBT EVO is not that much harder for the future...but it requires the more expensive activation..

I just converted my 5/11 F10 Pre-LCI and even swapped out the ICM (Had to make a conversion harness) but honestly its a night and day difference from CIC. The Navigation is so much faster and the bluetooth streaming is much better with full playlists being available just like the direct USB connection. (I did get carried away and even installed the DVD changer, but then again..who uses DVDs anymore anyways..)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #4
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
You can retrofit NBT. It's a bit of work but not too expensive since you can piece together a full set fairly easily. If you have a car built prior to 9/11 then you have some more complications in terms of the PDC/HDC/Camera buttons, but for anyone with a post 9/11 car (Essentially the ICM was changed since 9/11 and the PDC/HDC/Camera buttons on center console connect directly to ICM)the NBT retrofit isn't that bad at all..

You can find the NBT headhunt for under $200 and the display also for under $200, touch controller and touch ecu for another $200 and then the emulator for around $100. Then its just wiring and there are kits available from Chinese vendors on eBay for cheap for mic and LVDS/HSD cables for the back of the headunit.

Once you do NBT retrofit, if you wanted to, going to NBT EVO is not that much harder for the future...but it requires the more expensive activation..

I just converted my 5/11 F10 Pre-LCI and even swapped out the ICM (Had to make a conversion harness) but honestly its a night and day difference from CIC. The Navigation is so much faster and the bluetooth streaming is much better with full playlists being available just like the direct USB connection. (I did get carried away and even installed the DVD changer, but then again..who uses DVDs anymore anyways..)
So if one did the CIC to NBT, could they will code stuff via bimmercode? Or would that complicate things?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 06:02 PM   #5
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Coding remains exactly the same.. the emulator is filtering the VINlock to enable Navi. Everything else remains the same.

I forgot to mention, you will have to add the KCAN2 wire from ZGW to headunit and flash your ZGW to be ZGW02. Difference there is that your current gateway is the MOST Bus controller, where as with cars with NBT, the NBT is the MOST controller so the MOST plug to ZGW is not used (and is loop terminated during retrofit)

So in summary, no doubt there is cost involved and work involved, but you will definitely have more cost and possibly more if not the same effort, for the NBT EVO retrofit, as compared to the NBT retrofit.

I couldnt be happier at this point, maybe in a year or so, I might want Apple Car play and I can then either decide to further move up to EVO or just add the CarPlay video module available from so many vendors.
Appreciate 0