2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Record video from built-in cameras

06-13-2020, 09:12 AM   #1
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Record video from built-in cameras

Recently, a friend of mine was accused to be at fault for an accident. Fortunately, he had the Drive Recorder which is available on newer BMWs and was able to prove his innocence with the videos.

I have decided to prepare for such a situation as well and wondered if there are systems available, which can record the signal from the various cameras of my pre-facelift F11. It is fully loaded, so there are a bunch of cameras, in the windshield, reversing + 360° camera, side view and even night vision. I think it would be great to use those signals instead of mounting an extra camera. Anyone knows if something like this exists?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 09:36 PM   #2
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i M Sport

Following because this would be amazing
Appreciate 1
Dan94418.00
      06-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #3
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

This will be tough becuase the cameras are powered by the 4-pin LVDS cable that goes from the TRSVC module directly to the cameras. SO its the TRSVC that would need to be hacked in order to have the cameras powered on consistently in the background while also keeping the stock functionality which is to only enable views on the CID that are asked. One could buy an LVDS Splitter and attach a serializer to extract the data signal pair and then design a board that translates and captures the signal onto a drive but then you're talking about a much bigger project...

Ideally the KAFAS camera/ECU should be the one to be hacked to capture images(but the same custom board development is needed) as that is the only front facing camera (Besides the Nivi) on the F01/F10s.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 04:51 AM   #4
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
This will be tough becuase the cameras are powered by the 4-pin LVDS cable that goes from the TRSVC module directly to the cameras. SO its the TRSVC that would need to be hacked in order to have the cameras powered on consistently in the background while also keeping the stock functionality which is to only enable views on the CID that are asked. One could buy an LVDS Splitter and attach a serializer to extract the data signal pair and then design a board that translates and captures the signal onto a drive but then you're talking about a much bigger project...

Ideally the KAFAS camera/ECU should be the one to be hacked to capture images(but the same custom board development is needed) as that is the only front facing camera (Besides the Nivi) on the F01/F10s.
That's what I was able to read out of TIS. I thought about piggybacking the TRSVC with a custom board powered by an arduino or something. So the cameras are always powered on and the signal is passed through to the TRSVC if requested.

But I would need to find out which protocol is used and I don't know where to start searching or where to find such in depth information, at least the pinout etc. is available in TIS. The required skills in programming/soldering etc. to build a prototype would be available, if I find the time to do it...

So, if somebody can point me into the right direction where to find information about the programming in the TRSVC module, I might be able to build a prototype and write a guide to replicate it. But I don't really have the time or desire to re-engineer that stuff by logging the bitstream.

Last edited by Flamingi; 06-17-2020 at 05:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #5
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
That's what I was able to read out of TIS. I thought about piggybacking the TRSVC with a custom board powered by an arduino or something. So the cameras are always powered on and the signal is passed through to the TRSVC if requested.

But I would need to find out which protocol is used and I don't know where to start searching or where to find such in depth information, at least the pinout etc. is available in TIS. The required skills in programming/soldering etc. to build a prototype would be available, if I find the time to do it...

So, if somebody can point me into the right direction where to find information about the programming in the TRSVC module, I might be able to build a prototype and write a guide to replicate it. But I don't really have the time or desire to re-engineer that stuff by logging the bitstream.
Its a bit of SW re-engineering but also, the biggest helper is a front facing camera, and the only front facing camera on our stock cars is if we have KAFAS/KAFAS2 options..so TRSVC is only half or less of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
Its a bit of SW re-engineering but also, the biggest helper is a front facing camera, and the only front facing camera on our stock cars is if we have KAFAS/KAFAS2 options..so TRSVC is only half or less of the problem.
Well the KAFAS use the same LVDS, just integrated into a 10-pin connector. I guess this camera would use the same protocol, so it probably wouldn't be too difficult to extend the function of a recorder to include the front facing KAFAS.

I hope BMW are not doing any fancy secure enclave stuff... That would bring an instant stop to the idea lol
Appreciate 0