2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Mounting front license plate.

09-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Mounting front license plate.

I know it's a touchy subject.

Im planning on mounting a front plate once my 550 comes in. I was wondering if there is a plastic mount that is supplied with the car or does one simply drill it into the bumper? My VW Passat had a body colored mounting bracket and it was as sharp a solution as possible. If there is one available, I'm hoping to have it painted to match.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
tk005x
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

I think it usually depends on the dealer, but I'm sure BMW dealers would have mounts?

In my case, they gave me the option of keeping the mount off and gave me the parts just in case.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Don't do it........
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
F10550xi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550xi ZMP

Found this on another forum

§ 502.404. Operation of Vehicle Without License Plate or Registration Insignia

(a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have been:

(1) assigned by the department for the period; or

(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle, other than a vehicle assigned license plates for the registration period, that does not properly display the registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the license plates have been validated for the period.

(c) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license plate, attached to the rear of the vehicle, that has been:

(1) assigned by the department for the period; or

(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.

(d) Subsections (a) and (b) do not apply to a dealer operating a vehicle as provided by law.

(e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Leave it off!!! If you happened to get pulled over for it (very unlikely) plead not guilty, mount the plate, and tell the court you were unaware and have since corrected the situation. Bring pictures.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Dulles530
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Yes, BMW produces an OEM plastic frame which is designed for both the back and the front. I believe the parts are in BMW's "51" parts category. These mounts work for both US and Japanese plates. I know the rear plate has holes and screws which are ready to go - but i'm unsure about the front..

These brackets were provided in the trunk of my new Munich delivered F10

Which brings me to my question.. When my F10 was delivered at the Welt in Munich last month it has temporary German plates on it. The back is easy to replace - but the front one has no visible screws. It appears to be glued/double sided taped to the front bumper. How the heck do I get that thing off without destroying the plate or the paint/bumper? Anyone who has had European delivery run into this?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
F10550xi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulles530 View Post
It appears to be glued/double sided taped to the front bumper. How the heck do I get that thing off without destroying the plate or the paint/bumper? Anyone who has had European delivery run into this?
You are correct, the front plate is attached with double sided tape. I am taking a ED in a few weeks. My understanding is the vehicle processing center will take care of any residual adhesive or blemish. Did you have to turn the plates in separately from the car? If not, im sure BMW knows how to handle this. You will not have holes in the front bumper bc they wouldnt line up with a US plate. The rear plate holder can easily be changed from Euro to US spec.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'll likely mount it. Not really interested in the trouble and after a short while, I'm sure I'll not really notice it. If it's well mounted on a body colored mount I'll be happy. I'm glad to hear that the dealers/bmw offer mounts that I can have painted. I'll assume they conform well to the bumper. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

I have gotten 2 tickets in 3 years for no front license plate and it is well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
F10550xi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by savela View Post
I'll likely mount it. Not really interested in the trouble and after a short while, I'm sure I'll not really notice it.
Not sure what your license plate looks like. Anyone in NY will be SOL. The new plate is so ugly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10550xi View Post
Not sure what your license plate looks like. Anyone in NY will be SOL. The new plate is so ugly.
Whoa, aren't those the colors for the throw back jerseys for the Jets?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
fireman550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10550xi View Post
LMFAO!!!!!!!!

I am so glad I have some red, white, and blue veteran plates. I live in NY and the concensus is that these plates are very un atractive. They look really old school. Not bad but they completely clash with any BMW.....
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
tadtaggert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i F10

Ohio's new plates are worse imo, thankfully they still had old ones.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I'll likely mount it. Not really interested in the trouble and after a short while, I'm sure I'll not really notice it. If it's well mounted on a body colored mount I'll be happy. I'm glad to hear that the dealers/bmw offer mounts that I can have painted. I'll assume they conform well to the bumper. Thanks for the info.
The bracket is black and huge and unruly. I attached the plate with doublesided 3M tape. Look here: DIY: Front License Plate No Drilling Please
Initially I had no frame, but the plate looked naked, so I added a frame. The thing is, if you don't like it, you can take it off, it's fully reversible, then add the bracket or just live like a rebel.. With the bracket, after you have drilled the holes and then discover you don't like it, is like trying to reverse an overcooked steak.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
fireman550
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My 550 came with some license mounts in black rubber. They look pretty good and the license plates covers the color so painting them might not be necessary. I have some nice BMW metal covers for my License plate and it will look pretty good when you do mount it. Enjoy it and good luck...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #15
fireman550
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtaggert View Post
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!

THESE ARE HORRIBLE MAN.... LOL. I share your pain. These do make our plates look like the Taj Mahal...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #16
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

OHIO wow...shocked.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #17
wardawg26
Rep
Drives: GERMANY

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Replt To License Plate

Right now I am station in Germany, "GO ARMY" you should be able to get the correct license plate bracket from dealer; over here in Germany we have the long European plate bracket and also the short US bracket. I just order the 535i Space grey with sport package, head up display, premium 1 and 2, fold down rear seats, all around camera and convenience package also almost forgot the carbon fiber truck spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #18
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
I know it's a touchy subject.

Im planning on mounting a front plate once my 550 comes in. I was wondering if there is a plastic mount that is supplied with the car or does one simply drill it into the bumper? My VW Passat had a body colored mounting bracket and it was as sharp a solution as possible. If there is one available, I'm hoping to have it painted to match.

thanks.
The front and rear plate brackets are indeed included with the car and are installed by the dealer. The rear is attached with screws that go into fittings on the back of the trunklid. The front bracket however is attached via srews that go directly into the bumper and is indexed to the center of the bumper via tabs on the bottom portion of the bracket that slot into the bumper. It is contoured to fit the shape of the bumper so does not look that bad. You can tell your dealer to not install this and throw the assembly in the trunk. Becauase the front braket is plastic, you could have this painted to match the color of the car, something I am considering on doing. The rear bracket is completly covered by the plate so you don't have to worry about getting that one painted.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #19
Grizzles
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M

Quote:
Teletubbies.

i am thinking of installing the front plate below the bumper on the Msport grill area.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #20
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Gatoman 39 - looks clean. May go for that. I am however leaning towards painting the factory mount - been very happy with the way mine looks currently. As for my plate - Texas has some pretty nice vanity plates to choose from so plenty of love there. Should take delivery in mid to late october and that will be my first 'mod'. We'll see. Thanks for the input.

Oh, and why so adamant about the front plate? Really don't want to give the cops any reason to pull me over - would prefer to limit those interactions as much as possible. They have more important things to do anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #21
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Gatoman 39 - looks clean. May go for that. I am however leaning towards painting the factory mount - been very happy with the way mine looks currently. As for my plate - Texas has some pretty nice vanity plates to choose from so plenty of love there. Should take delivery in mid to late october and that will be my first 'mod'. We'll see. Thanks for the input.

Oh, and why so adamant about the front plate? Really don't want to give the cops any reason to pull me over - would prefer to limit those interactions as much as possible. They have more important things to do anyway.
I forgot to mention earlier that you may wnat to look at the Front Plate Mounting bracket that BAV Auto is now selling. It uses the front tow hook location (hole), so the plate ends up being offset somewhat. Looks kinda cool and is different.....check it out.

Update: Can't seem to find this at Bav Auto. Check out wstoshop.com, they have a similar product.

Last edited by ghueser; 09-09-2010 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #22
tk005x
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:

Thought the NY ones were bad but these look like crap + fruity at the same time.
Appreciate 0