2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Secret behind F10 5-series' touted ride quality

03-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Secret behind F10 5-series' touted ride quality

In the many F10 5-series reviews available thus far, one of the most praised aspects of the F10 has been its great ride quality. Richard Aucock, an automotive journalist, gives us some insight as to how BMW managed to improve on the 5-series' ride quality from the E60. In his latest blog entry, he writes:
Quote:
BMW Group Driving Dynamics Director Jos van As says it was owners of the old BMW 5 Series that led direction for the new one.

‘Feedback from owners of the old car was that handling impressed but the ride was too hard.’

This is why the F10 BMW 5 Series rides better than before. You notice it right away at low speed: van As admits they’ve used ‘quite moderate spring rates,’ giving the cushier, plusher feel.

‘Double axle front suspension also helps. We have more grip, so there’s more freedom to tune ride and handling. We have more possibilities to tune the dampers.’

There’s more: ‘Don’t forget, we’re now in the 4th generation of runflat tyre – the old car used 2nd generation. This is a huge jump. We have been able to optimise the tyre wall stiffness – this is a crucial point regarding how absorbent the ride is.

Ride on some more, too: ‘With the new car we have been able to choose a new tyre size, keeping inflation pressures on the healthy side. If you have a smaller wheel, you have a smaller air volume, therefore need higher pressures.’

This belies the theory that large wheels automatically mean worse ride: here’s an example of big rims improving ride – from the top man himself. Apparent right away, the more I drove it, the more the ride clicked. Then it dawned on me, so I had to ask: van As, have you had the Rolls-Royce boys (who are tuning a version of this platform that’s also derived from the 7 Series) working on this?

‘Rolls Royce use the same group of people: yes, some of my guys on the 5 Series also work on the Rolls-Royce. They learn from each other.

‘Some of the similarities are no coincidence…’

There you have it, then! The BMW 5 Series that rides ‘like’ a Rolls-Royce…
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Nice article.
I don't know about riding like a Rolls Royce, but it became very clear to me that the front suspension was pretty revolutionary when they first showed the schematics of the underpinnings of this car. Clearly, BMW has 'evolved' that which used to cushion only the rear passengers up to the front as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

Everyone is talking about how BMW is now using such an advance front end suspension design, when cars like the Honda Accord and Civic in the early 90's started using this design. Granted the Civic switch from Double wish bones in 1999 to MacPherson struts because it was cheaper to build and reduce costs. And I am NOT at all saying that Hondas are better cause I know they are not, but come on this is nothing new in the car world.
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL View Post
Everyone is talking about how BMW is now using such an advance front end suspension design, when cars like the Honda Accord and Civic in the early 90's started using this design. Granted the Civic switch from Double wish bones in 1999 to MacPherson struts because it was cheaper to build and reduce costs. And I am NOT at all saying that Hondas are better cause I know they are not, but come on this is nothing new in the car world.
You're right, but it's the complete package that makes a suspension system/ride, not only the double wishbones. And a Rolls Royce isn't an NSX
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Everyone is talking about how BMW is now using such an advance front end suspension design, when cars like the Honda Accord and Civic in the early 90's started using this design.
Yeah, but back in those days...were Hondas & Acuras really the same performers that they are today? I mean they were very different cars. Does Acura use this type of design in the TL and the RL? I would think that overall, struts might be an efficient and inexpensive solution for some designs, but not for others.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg View Post
Yeah, but back in those days...were Hondas & Acuras really the same performers that they are today? I mean they were very different cars. Does Acura use this type of design in the TL and the RL? I would think that overall, struts might be an efficient and inexpensive solution for some designs, but not for others.
You are correct, Acura has lost a BIG edge because they no longer have their own platforms for their cars. I remember the Acura Legend and even the first generation Acura TL being such good cars. Now a days they are all based on some sort of Family style Honda Accord Platform. You take one for a test drive and it feels soooo cheap for the price. I would hands down drive one of the second generation Acura Legends till this day if they made them like they used too.
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
TonyMeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW...
Location: I'm here I'm there I'm F' everywhere I'm the eggman

Quote:
You are correct, Acura has lost a BIG edge because they no longer have their own platforms for their cars. I remember the Acura Legend and even the first generation Acura TL being such good cars. Now a days they are all based on some sort of Family style Honda Accord Platform. You take one for a test drive and it feels soooo cheap for the price. I would hands down drive one of the second generation Acura Legends till this day if they made them like they used too.
Your Acura Legend was our Honda Legend. In fact, the Acura RL was our Honda Legend as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
TsunamiFury
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i, Porsche Taycan 4S+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMeister View Post
Your Acura Legend was our Honda Legend. In fact, the Acura RL was our Honda Legend as well.
In fact, most every place else in the world aside from the US... all Acura's ARE BADGED AS HONDAS!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiFury View Post
In fact, most every place else in the world aside from the US... all Acura's ARE BADGED AS HONDAS!
Yes but now the Acura RL/Honda Legend is nothing more than an Accord on Steriods. Ugh, Thank god for BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
TonyMeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW...
Location: I'm here I'm there I'm F' everywhere I'm the eggman

Quote:
Yes but now the Acura RL/Honda Legend is nothing more than an Accord on Steriods with a hideous chrome grille. Ugh, Thank god for BMW's.
FTFY.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiFury View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
take the fun out of driving. man, people just nag nag nag. I thought the ride quality on the E34, E39, E60, and even E28 were superb; fun yet enjoyable. It wasn't harsh, like my old MKII GTI 16V was(now that was brutal) . I think people are dramatic about things. ehhh whatever.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
take the fun out of driving. man, people just nag nag nag. I thought the ride quality on the E34, E39, E60, and even E28 were superb; fun yet enjoyable. It wasn't harsh, like my old MKII GTI 16V was(now that was brutal) . I think people are dramatic about things. ehhh whatever.
I also thought the ride quality on the E34 was good and then when the E39 came out it was great! With the E60 model 5-series, BMW took a big step backwards in ride quality. The E34 and especially the E39, both rode with a suppleness that was lacking in the E60.

From the new reviews coming out for the F10 5-series, it seems that BMW is once again bringing the 5-series back to its predecessors roots by combining a balance of great handling with a great ride quality.

Having owned an E34 1995 525i, an E39 2002 525i, and an E60 530i I can truly say I know what I am talking about.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
Can someone post a pic of the news suspension? I wanna see what's so revolutionary about it.
Attached below are a few cutaway shots I found of the F10's front suspension.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #15
kinan_sleiman2006
Lieutenant
Syria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Modern technology
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

I am confused re predecessor having harsh ride, and this one smooth and soft??????? I thought previous car had very damped down ride imo
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #17
bayerischeperformance
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

x5 has a similar suspension...as do alot of other cars

but i guarantee you bmw is utilizing this design in a much more unique way than most other companies
      04-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #18
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

I'm confused by this statement:

‘With the new car we have been able to choose a new tyre size, keeping inflation pressures on the healthy side. If you have a smaller wheel, you have a smaller air volume, therefore need higher pressures.’

If the wheel is smaller, but the overall OD of the tire is the same as with a larger wheel and shorter sidewall, wouldn't the air volume of the smaller wheeled assembly be greater (assuming the same width tire) allowing for a lower tire pressure on the smaller wheel tire combination??

The bigger wheel would have a shorter sidewall with the same OD - extra space being taken up by the greater diameter wheel would that be the case??

Last edited by Grover432; 04-03-2010 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0