2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Cpo 550 vs Lease new 535

10-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #23
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
If you look at 535 vs 550, there's not much difference besides the unlimited thrust the 550 provides vs the 535's economy and performance compromise.
Much better/nicer said than something along the lines of "you only buy 'cheap' 535 if you cannot afford the real thing."

Sounded a little... uh... judgmental in my opinion.

Now, in order not to derail the thread, let's stick to trying to help OP with good advice for and against both cars. It'll be interesting to read his update on what he's picked up. But it's hard to go wrong with either of these cars really.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #24
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I'd probably go for the new 535 given those choices. CPO cars can be fine, but I'm a bit particular about buying new - I don't know what the previous owner did with the car, and that would bug me a bit. Plus, the 550 (especially the pre-LCI N63 engine) isn't the most reliable - so, while CPO can protect your wallet, it can't protect your sanity if you find yourself visiting the dealer a bit too often.

People tend to compare the 535 and 550 here often (understandable) - but, which you should buy should really be a function of your values. If you value gas mileage above performance, clearly buy the 535. It has plenty of pep, and you'll get considerably better mileage. For me, though, while I don't like throwing money at gas, having the extra power was important. I do a fair bit of highway driving, and being able to maneuver in/out of traffic with more ease was important to me. Passing someone becomes possible with smaller windows, along with more confident ability to get into a crowded highway (with small openings), etc. I'm not advocating bad driving here either!

Both cars are heavy. The V8 is a bit heavier, but BOTH cars are too heavy for the standard suspension - so having the sport suspension or DHP is a must. I prefer DHP because it's just a beautiful and flexible system. For instance, today I drove over 6 hours in the car - it was a complete pleasure. The suspension was set to comfort, and the car effortlessly cruised over most road surfaces in both the city and highway settings. But click to sport, and you're instantly able to have some fun with the immediate benefits of a tighter sport suspension. Click to comfort+, and cobblestone roads, like those commonly found in Boston or lower NYC, become way easier to traverse, too. But DHP is even more than adjustable dampers - the Active Roll Stabilization (ARS) keeps the heavy car from leaning too much in corners, and I've found it works very well when driving spirited.

I'd say, at least with the way I drive the car, the 535 would be sufficient 95% of the time. But it's the 5%, for me, that would frustrate me to be limited by the 6-cylinder... and while maybe not the best excuse to spend considerably more, both in the cost of the car AND gas, it's a real pleasure to drive. The engine pulls very strong through the entire power band, and it rarely will leave you needing more. If they shave the weight of the 5 below 4,000lbs, though, they'd really have something incredible.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #25
DaIceCreaMan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550XI

You will enjoy a 535 on a daily basis... But you will have fun in a 550.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
frankly on a daily basis, the 550iX is more than sufficient.
I felt the same on this.. While I was looking at a M5 I felt more compelled to get the 550
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #26
Joe5268
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Xdrive Msport

Wow. Thanks for all the responses. Think I'm leaning more towards a CPO 550. Will keep everyone updated.
Appreciate 0