2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 2.5 Inch Axle Back Exhaust Question

01-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i Msport

2.5 Inch Axle Back Exhaust Question

Hello All,

I have a 2013 535 M sport that I would like to add an axle back exhaust to. If I'm not mistaken, the factory piping diameter is 2.25 for the M sport. So my question is if I add a 2.5 axle back to the car will this make any discernible difference in performance either negative or positive? I feel like I might be losing some back pressure but just wanted to see what others had to say.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep

Oh and for mods I have a BMS stage 1 tune and intake.

Last edited by mr-crown; 01-17-2017 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

I have a 640 which is pretty much the same as the 535's. 2.5" piping diameter and just installed a set of M5/M6 mufflers (3"+ diameter). It's louder than I expected but as far as neg or positive in performance. I can't say I noticed any difference except for the noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
I have a 640 which is pretty much the same as the 535's. 2.5" piping diameter and just installed a set of M5/M6 mufflers (3"+ diameter). It's louder than I expected but as far as neg or positive in performance. I can't say I noticed any difference except for the noise.
I see. Any drone?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-crown View Post
I see. Any drone?
Yep. It does have drone, mainly between 1500-2000. The mufflers came with the valves tied open so I'll just close the inside valves up and see if it makes a difference. I'm pretty sure most guys like it this way but I'm too old for this plus I drive a baby around. Around town, it's not bad but on the freeway is when you could really hear it. Honestly, the only exhaust I've experienced without drone is a Remus but I didn't want to pay $2k for the set for my car. I'm around L.A. so if you see a black lowered 640 GC, flag me down and I'll let you hear the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #6
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yep. It does have drone, mainly between 1500-2000. The mufflers came with the valves tied open so I'll just close the inside valves up and see if it makes a difference. I'm pretty sure most guys like it this way but I'm too old for this plus I drive a baby around. Around town, it's not bad but on the freeway is when you could really hear it. Honestly, the only exhaust I've experienced without drone is a Remus but I didn't want to pay $2k for the set for my car. I'm around L.A. so if you see a black lowered 640 GC, flag me down and I'll let you hear the exhaust.
I see. I feel the same here. Not looking for an excessively loud exhaust, those days are long gone for me too. I am specifically looking at the megan racing axle back exhaust. What type did you get for your 640?

I am also in the LA area. I move around for work but like to hang out near the South Bay area.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 05:00 PM   #7
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see. I feel the same here. Not looking for an excessively loud exhaust, those days are long gone for me too. I am specifically looking at the megan racing axle back exhaust. What type did you get for your 640?

I am also in the LA area. I move around for work but like to hang out near the South Bay area.
I've heard good things with Megan. I believe the 535 ones are around $750 and the M5 ones are $450. If you're going for Megans, I'd just pay the extra and get the ones made for your car. That way, the muffler shop won't need to put on a pipe adapter/enlarger. Also, it's 3.5" tips compared to 4" tips. From what I've heard is that Megans are a replica of a high end brand like Armytrix or something but without the electronic valve control. I went with M5 mufflers because I was hoping it wouldn't be as loud as an aftermarket brand. Well, turns out I was wrong because it's louder than I prefer. I live in the southbay so I'm sure you'll see me around, black gran coupe, lowered, CF stuff, silver wheels, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've heard good things with Megan. I believe the 535 ones are around $750 and the M5 ones are $450. If you're going for Megans, I'd just pay the extra and get the ones made for your car. That way, the muffler shop won't need to put on a pipe adapter/enlarger. Also, it's 3.5" tips compared to 4" tips. From what I've heard is that Megans are a replica of a high end brand like Armytrix or something but without the electronic valve control. I went with M5 mufflers because I was hoping it wouldn't be as loud as an aftermarket brand. Well, turns out I was wrong because it's louder than I prefer. I live in the southbay so I'm sure you'll see me around, black gran coupe, lowered, CF stuff, silver wheels, etc.
I see. I definitely agree. I know most like to get the quad exhaust, and nothing against people who do that but the 535's came with single and I dont have an M5 so I want to stick with the single tip burnt roll exhaust. I am in the process of purchasing one so hopefully will get it installed this weekend or next.

I hope I do see you around. Interested to hear what it sounds like. I have a carbon black f10 with APEX wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
you need like 250 miles of ECU adjustment to get your full developed sound and performance increase. no full throttle for the first 100 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 02:18 AM   #10
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

Quote:
I see. I definitely agree. I know most like to get the quad exhaust, and nothing against people who do that but the 535's came with single and I dont have an M5 so I want to stick with the single tip burnt roll exhaust.
I definitely agree with you. I went with the M Performance exhaust for a couple of reasons. 1) I didn't want the car to be too loud (I have a wife and kid) 2) I wanted to maintain the dual exhaust look of the 535i.

Now, the biggest issue I had was finding a carbon fiber diffuser that was actually made for dual tips. 90% of the ones you find either through reputable dealers or ebay are all made for quad tips, which would make my car look silly. Luckily I did find one on eBay that worked out fairly well.

I'm also in LA (West LA/Playa Vista) so perhaps we'll run into each other. I've yet to meet any other F10 535i owners with any sort of exhaust system to compare mine too. So perhaps I'll "hear" you around?
      01-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #11
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
you need like 250 miles of ECU adjustment to get your full developed sound and performance increase. no full throttle for the first 100 miles.
Thank you for that info. I wasnt aware of that restriction. Do you know if it would be best for me not to rev it much either during the first 100 miles?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #12
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiBruin View Post
I definitely agree with you. I went with the M Performance exhaust for a couple of reasons. 1) I didn't want the car to be too loud (I have a wife and kid) 2) I wanted to maintain the dual exhaust look of the 535i.

Now, the biggest issue I had was finding a carbon fiber diffuser that was actually made for dual tips. 90% of the ones you find either through reputable dealers or ebay are all made for quad tips, which would make my car look silly. Luckily I did find one on eBay that worked out fairly well.

I'm also in LA (West LA/Playa Vista) so perhaps we'll run into each other. I've yet to meet any other F10 535i owners with any sort of exhaust system to compare mine too. So perhaps I'll "hear" you around?
I hear you. I am currently "watching" 2 items on Ebay. A lip and a diffuser that was made for dual tips and that is more aggressive aesthetically. During my search for them I noticed most vendors only selling quad diffusers which was frustrating. I use to really like installing carbon fiber accent pieces (lips, spoilers, side mirror caps etc...) but I just cant bring myself to do it. I dont even want to think about how much money ive spent on replacing cracked carbon fiber front lips . So now what I want to try is vinyl wrapping the pieces is like a matte carbon fiber vinyl. I feel like it looks very close to what dry carbon fiber is. Any thoughts on that?

I spend some time around that area too. There are like 2 LA Fitness off Lincoln Blvd that I go to. Hopefully we run into each other. I've not met another enthusiast driving a F10 535i.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #13
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

Quote:
I hear you. I am currently "watching" 2 items on Ebay. A lip and a diffuser that was made for dual tips and that is more aggressive aesthetically. During my search for them I noticed most vendors only selling quad diffusers which was frustrating. I use to really like installing carbon fiber accent pieces (lips, spoilers, side mirror caps etc...) but I just cant bring myself to do it. I dont even want to think about how much money ive spent on replacing cracked carbon fiber front lips . So now what I want to try is vinyl wrapping the pieces is like a matte carbon fiber vinyl. I feel like it looks very close to what dry carbon fiber is. Any thoughts on that?

I spend some time around that area too. There are like 2 LA Fitness off Lincoln Blvd that I go to. Hopefully we run into each other. I've not met another enthusiast driving a F10 535i.
Regarding wrapping... I've never seen it, so I can't say if it'll look good. There are those on here that have done it and say they like it though. It's certainly an option. Here's the real carbon fiber one that I got:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2016-BM...9XbZ6o&vxp=mtr

Regarding a meetup, anytime! I usually work from home most days. I'm basically two blocks from the LA Fitness on Jefferson and Lincoln. So I'm always open for a quick meetup.
      01-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #14
mr-crown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiBruin View Post
Regarding wrapping... I've never seen it, so I can't say if it'll look good. There are those on here that have done it and say they like it though. It's certainly an option. Here's the real carbon fiber one that I got:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2016-BM...9XbZ6o&vxp=mtr

Regarding a meetup, anytime! I usually work from home most days. I'm basically two blocks from the LA Fitness on Jefferson and Lincoln. So I'm always open for a quick meetup.
I wrapped the roof of my E46 before but have not seen a F10 with wrapped pieces yet. I dont think it would look too bad so I will most likely pull the trigger on it.

Nice choice in diffuser. It looks very good. How was the installation? Did everything line up well?

Same here with regards to the working from home part. I work from home most days and just moved back to LA from the bay area not too long ago. Would love to check out your F10. Sending you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #15
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Thank you for that info. I wasnt aware of that restriction. Do you know if it would be best for me not to rev it much either during the first 100 miles?
you can rev it out, but I would avoid any sort of full throttle. probably no more then 4500RPM.

the whole process takes about 250 miles for your ECU. make sure you do as much real world driving as you can (highway and city mix), revving to a variert of RPM's. once the 100 mile stage is over, be sure to do a good handful of full throttle pulls.

note that your car will sound differently and not perform quite as well when you first install the muffler VS 250 miles later. the second you start up your vehicle, your ECU will be confused and busy adjusting fuel/ignition timing to compensate for the modification in exhaust flow.

not many people know about this. if you just redline the piss out of your motor the second you get the mod done, you are essentially damaging your ECU and it will not properly adjust.

keep in mind that this applies to literally anything. your ECU is always calculating for the air/temperatures outside, quality of fuel, etc.

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #16
Drez1985
Rep
Drives: 550i

Why is the Megan m5 exhaust like $500 while the f10 quad like $1400 on eBay? Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0