2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 'Fuel supply' Drivetrain Malfunction Message

12-29-2015, 02:15 AM   #1
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

My 550 just got a malfunction message on the Screen and it said "fuel supply". Have a feeling it's my fuel pump. I'm ashamed to say I let the tank get low enough for the gas indicator to flash on a couple times in the past month.

Unfortunately I don't have a warranty and my cars build date is 2010. I hope they cover the fuel pump under the 2011 build date recall if I push them a bit.

Anybody else get a 'fuel supply' message ? Car sputtered , jerked and would shut off. Had a very very long crank when I tried to start it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep

Any thoughts ? Car is at 66k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:13 AM   #3
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

My passenger side pump went out last month, 56k miles. BMS stage 2. My service advisor replaced it with a 95% good will credit, so I paid 5%. I honestly have nothing but great things to say about my dealer here in Virginia Beach, though the car has had an insane amount of problems. I'd have to find my service paperwork, but I think it was approximately $1400 for the one high pressure fuel pump, total, not what I paid.

I thought it was a fried DME at first, but that would have been 100% covered by the extended warranty (8 years/ 80k miles). I had similar symptoms as you describe, and I'd be willing to bet you ditched one of the two pumps. A reputable mom and pop euro shop could save you some coin if it ends up being the HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclions
My passenger side pump went out last month, 56k miles. BMS stage 2. My service advisor replaced it with a 95% good will credit, so I paid 5%. I honestly have nothing but great things to say about my dealer here in Virginia Beach, though the car has had an insane amount of problems. I'd have to find my service paperwork, but I think it was approximately $1400 for the one high pressure fuel pump, total, not what I paid.

I thought it was a fried DME at first, but that would have been 100% covered by the extended warranty (8 years/ 80k miles).
Thanks for the prompt reply! Why did u mention bms stage 2? Do you think that played a part in the fuel pumps failure ? I have the bms stage 1 in currently, plan on taking it out before I go to the dealer just to be safe, even if I'm out of warranty.

So was that the in-tank fuel pump that was replaced ? Did you receive the 'fuel supply' malfunction message as well?

Do you remember if your car had any symptoms of a fuel pump that was about to fail prior to it happening ?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep

Just looked at the CCP again, it says the low pressure fuel sensor got replaced. I wonder if that might be the issue again.

Does anyone know how to get the car in Neutral if I'm not able to get the car started?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep

This is the message
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 02:52 PM   #7
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep

G
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #8
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine white

This is the message
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #9
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If it's one of the two HPFPs it should start, long enough to get to neutral.

If it's the LPFP it has extended warranty coverage, I think 10 years/ 100k miles.

I received a multitude of faults, misfires on multiple cylinders, fuel pressure, etc. When I pulled the codes there were more than I could count. No previous warning, just a hard launch from a stop, and bam! Broke hard, barely limped it home. I listed the Stage 2 harness, not because I believe it is exactly at fault, but weak components will get pushed over the edge. The fuel demands to maintain the A-F ratios in spec at the elevated boost levels will put a strain on the stock fuel pumps. If it is close to failing the piggyback just gives it a nudge. I have similar concerns with ignition coils.

Smart to take the Stage 1 harness out prior to your dealer visit.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:13 PM   #10
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
My fuel pump started acting up recently. My service adviser said 10 years unlimited miles. Should not have to pay anything.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 06:56 AM   #11
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Unless I've missed the announcement, the low pressure fuel pump has been extended to 10 years, but the high pressure fuel pumps have not...not yet at least.

As an aside, the HPFPs don't look difficult to replace at all, just compression fittings. I was going to replace it myself until my SA covered nearly all of it (I was out the door for less than a diagnostic check), and assuming my other one fails soon enough and isn't as cheap, I would give it a go.

What's the worst that could happen? It's just atomized gasoline on top of an engine that has cherry-red hot exhaust manifolds on top. Better not screw that one up!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Unless I've missed the announcement, the low pressure fuel pump has been extended to 10 years, but the high pressure fuel pumps have not...not yet at least.

As an aside, the HPFPs don't look difficult to replace at all, just compression fittings. I was going to replace it myself until my SA covered nearly all of it (I was out the door for less than a diagnostic check), and assuming my other one fails soon enough and isn't as cheap, I would give it a go.

What's the worst that could happen? It's just atomized gasoline on top of an engine that has cherry-red hot exhaust manifolds on top. Better not screw that one up!

Thanks again for the input man.

Is the fuel pump extended warranty for the 535s or 550s? Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the extended warranty is on specific build dates (only those built in 2011) for the 2011 550. Mine is built in 2010.

But yeah the SA was real cool, laid back dude so if my car is excluded from the fuel pump warranty due to its build date, I hope he can work with me on it. Maybe I could only pay 5% like you as well or they cover it all.

If they are going to tax my ass on it, I'll just have to take it to Bavarian , they work on bmws specifically and could probably save me an arm and leg.

Also, how did you hear about to fuel pump extended warranty ? I remember some people got a letter for it while others SA had brought it to their attention.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #13
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep

Before my fuel pump completely failed I remember that in comfort mode and in high gear around 1200 rpm the car would choke a little. I would have to keep it in DS mode where it doesn't drop below 2k rpm so it could ride smooth.

Do you recall your 550 doing that as well prior to your fuel pump failing ?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #14
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, I got sputters and misses at low RPMs, and power gradually went away. I just remember thinking that Stage 2 wasn't that impressive, and within a day or two my fuel pump went out. I initially chased what I thought were bad coils because I had several repetitive misfires. After that didn't fix it I replaced the ignition wiring harness due to some slightly damaged wires. After that didn't fix it I gave up and assumed it was the DME. Only after towing it to the dealer did they diagnose it as my passenger side high pressure fuel pump. I was a little surprised, but looking back at the symptoms it made sense.

I did receive a letter, managed to throw it in the trash or hid it better than I should, either way the low pressure fuel pump is covered out to ten years. That's the one in the fuel tank, I believe it is accessed under the rear seat. The high pressure pumps aren't extended, but it sounds like certain build dates were either covered under the CCP or another non-recall recall.

My car is a 10/10 build date, really I just got lucky my SA hooked me up. I don't expect it next time. Judging by the way my car is idling, the driver's side pump is a few weeks from taking a crap.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 10:45 AM   #15
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I got sputters and misses at low RPMs, and power gradually went away. I just remember thinking that Stage 2 wasn't that impressive, and within a day or two my fuel pump went out. I initially chased what I thought were bad coils because I had several repetitive misfires. After that didn't fix it I replaced the ignition wiring harness due to some slightly damaged wires. After that didn't fix it I gave up and assumed it was the DME. Only after towing it to the dealer did they diagnose it as my passenger side high pressure fuel pump. I was a little surprised, but looking back at the symptoms it made sense.

I did receive a letter, managed to throw it in the trash or hid it better than I should, either way the low pressure fuel pump is covered out to ten years. That's the one in the fuel tank, I believe it is accessed under the rear seat. The high pressure pumps aren't extended, but it sounds like certain build dates were either covered under the CCP or another non-recall recall.

My car is a 10/10 build date, really I just got lucky my SA hooked me up. I don't expect it next time. Judging by the way my car is idling, the driver's side pump is a few weeks from taking a crap.
Turns out the SA said the control unit for the fuel pump got some water leaked on it from the trunk and fried it. Does this sound like it's possible or are they just trying to dupe me?

Wonder if the fuel pump just failed and maybe they don't want to cover costs ?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 01:21 PM   #16
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sounds like a possible cause. My dealings have always been good, so I have no reason to question my SA. I'm pretty well-versed in the N63 and most of the sub-systems, so I would hope I could smell BS.

My guess is the fuel pump is fine and it would likely be more expensive, so no incentive for the dealer to purposely replace the wrong part. Now, if the control unit doesn't fix it, you may have a leg to stand on to not pay for it. They can't just throw parts at it and let you foot the bill.

They still haven't answered how the water leaked into the trunk? That would be my first question, and I would expect them to address that or the new control unit will fail after a heavy rain.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 01:31 PM   #17
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like a possible cause. My dealings have always been good, so I have no reason to question my SA. I'm pretty well-versed in the N63 and most of the sub-systems, so I would hope I could smell BS.

My guess is the fuel pump is fine and it would likely be more expensive, so no incentive for the dealer to purposely replace the wrong part. Now, if the control unit doesn't fix it, you may have a leg to stand on to not pay for it. They can't just throw parts at it and let you foot the bill.

They still haven't answered how the water leaked into the trunk? That would be my first question, and I would expect them to address that or the new control unit will fail after a heavy rain.
They quoted me $1045 for the fuel pump control unit. Does that sound reasonable?

I've sourced it online , it's about $250 for the part.

I mean it did rain very heavily for the past 3 days non stop. Close to my area, about 6 miles away is submerged underwater and some homes have even floated away in the flood.

But yeah I'll definitely see if they can source where the water came in from exactly so it doesn't happen again.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 01:35 PM   #18
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep

I wonder since it rained heavily and flooded in my area if I could have my insurance company foot the bill since they found water on the unit? Does that seem plausible ? Lol.

Maybe I can tell em I drove through a pretty big puddle
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 04:40 PM   #19
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Did a little looking, took 10 minutes to find, and me personally I would replace it myself before I would pay $1000 out of pocket.

Take a look for yourself, this should be a very straight forward replacement. I hope the video helps.

Concerning the water, there are two sunroof drain lines that pass behind the sides of the trunk. I would be willing to bet one is slightly torn and is leaking. As for the insurance company, probably not worth it. By the time you pay the deductible and file a claim it would be cheaper to do yourself.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 13864
Size:  16.8 KB

Last edited by gclions; 12-31-2015 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #20
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Did a little looking, took 10 minutes to find, and me personally I would replace it myself before I would pay $1000 out of pocket.

Take a look for yourself, this should be a very straight forward replacement. I hope the video helps.

Concerning the water, there are two sunroof drain lines that pass behind the sides of the trunk. I would be willing to bet one is slightly torn and is leaking. As for the insurance company, probably not worth it. By the time you pay the deductible and file a claim it would be cheaper to do yourself.

Attachment 1340194

Thanks so much for the video and all the help man! I feel like I owe ya big time!

At first the SA was saying it required removal of rear seats until I showed him your video and he was dumbfounded.

He worked with me on the price a bit , $1200 for the control unit and a new battery (initially quoted me $500 for the battery nd $1000 for the unit, plus diagnostic fee I guess it's a pretty good deal)

Still a little pricey for such an easy task but that's what the stealership is all about.

He mentioned that the control unit requires "programming" which sounded like bullshit. Looks very simple.. would've done it myself but I don't wanna have to tow it back to my house.

Towing was a b!tch! I couldn't get it in neutral because the car wouldn't start so he had to put skates on it and it just didn't feel good seeing my car being dragged onto a flatbed lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #21
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You don't owe me anything, largely that's the type of thing we all are here for. Glad it helped a little on the cost. I also got a new battery when my HPFP went out, so no real surprise there. I'm glad I got pretty good life out of the initial battery.

Good luck, I hope this repair is the end of your problems with sputters and idle issues.
      01-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #22
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

well I am glad I read this I have 2013 550i I am sure I will have to deal with this down to road.
Thanks
Appreciate 0