2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Day Time Running Lights

04-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Scottish John
Irvine John
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F10 Alpine White M sport auto

Day Time Running Lights

I have DRL selected from main menu and lights on auto. During the day what should show when sunny? Full lights on in front only or side lights showing the nice two circles.

I also find that this is not happening regardless of how sunny it is and it seems headlights just stay on and are marked by the 'lights on' symbol on dash.

I have just been driving with sidelights on as it looks nice ! (only have standard lights)

Any comments anyone , thanks
      04-21-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
With the DRL selected in iDrive and your lights set to 'Auto'; in normal circumstances you should have only the 2 LED Angel Eyes on during the day. However in winter or in early spring, if the sun is at a very low meridian (point in the sky) or the sunrays are at a lower angle; the headlights will come on even on a sunny day. In these circumstances, if it really bothers you, you should set the lights to '0' which will then allow only the DRL Angel eyes to stay on.

During the evenings, the two outer low-beam headlights (low beam) will come on. But as I suggested above, they tend to come on even during the day in low-angle (though) sunny light conditions. The inner headlights are cornering lamps and come on when you are turning under 20mph

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 05:04 AM   #3
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post
....The inner headlights are cornering lamps and come on when you are turning under 20mph
Which lights do you have? My F10 has option ZGA (visibility package) including bi-xenon/adaptive/auto dip and the cornering lights operate when turning at any speed.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 05:23 AM   #4
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

i've got the xenon pack and if you have DRL enabled and have the selector switch set to 0 then you get the white led angel eyes on all the time. thats how i have mine set most of the time. used to use the "auto" feature but i don't like the dash lit up during the day.

i think if you've got the standard lights then if you have selector set to 0 the angel eyes don't come one...there's another thread in the UK regional forum where some members have talked about this a lot. seems there are a lot of owners who didn't spec the xenon/visibility package and now really regret it...mostly it seems because they want the white led angel eyes..which is fair enough, they do look good i think. sadly last most things retrofit seems to be a rocky road and not simple.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
i've got the xenon pack and if you have DRL enabled and have the selector switch set to 0 then you get the white led angel eyes on all the time. thats how i have mine set most of the time. used to use the "auto" feature but i don't like the dash lit up during the day.
Didn't realise the instrument lights were permanently on with the switch in auto - thanks for the tip.
On dull days I often want instrument lighting without the headlights on, but don't switch to side lights as they're much dimmer than the LED angel eyes.
I'll leave it in auto henceforth.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Yep I have the same set up on mine, works great.
      04-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
mrcamp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix Feb build

Sorry. I just got this car - where do you set the light switch to auto, 0, etc? On the Idrive I have DRL set and welcome light set. It does come on in tunnels, garage etc. However, even on bright and sunny days, the lights seems do stay on. I have my light switch on the panel in the default straight up position.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
mrcamp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix Feb build

Never mind. I found the switch to change it to auto, 0, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcamp View Post
Sorry. I just got this car - where do you set the light switch to auto, 0, etc? On the Idrive I have DRL set and welcome light set. It does come on in tunnels, garage etc. However, even on bright and sunny days, the lights seems do stay on. I have my light switch on the panel in the default straight up position.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 03:31 AM   #9
finbrad
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520D

I don't have the visibility pack. Manual advises DRLs will be activated at position A & 0. At position 0 with ignition on...no lights!! E-mailed dealer and he advised DRL on at position 0 needs to first be activated at the dealership?? Will get this done next week out of curiosity but wonder afterwards will angel eyes just be illuminated or dipped lights at position 0?? Any owners with standard lights have DRL operational at position 0- How do lights look?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #10
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbrad View Post
I don't have the visibility pack. Manual advises DRLs will be activated at position A & 0. At position 0 with ignition on...no lights!! E-mailed dealer and he advised DRL on at position 0 needs to first be activated at the dealership?? Will get this done next week out of curiosity but wonder afterwards will angel eyes just be illuminated or dipped lights at position 0?? Any owners with standard lights have DRL operational at position 0- How do lights look?
DRL ticked in i-drive and swith set to 0 = lights on dipped beam all the time. Also means that when you unlock the car the lights come on (rear and angle eyes only). Once the engine is switched on the headlights will come on. If you want angle eyes only when driving then just turn your side lights on
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #11
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by E61 View Post
DRL ticked in i-drive and swith set to 0 = lights on dipped beam all the time. Also means that when you unlock the car the lights come on (rear and angle eyes only). Once the engine is switched on the headlights will come on. If you want angle eyes only when driving then just turn your side lights on
Something wrong with your car, I have switch set too "O" and DRL's ON, turn on ignition DRL's ONLY come on as pre manual.
      04-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Please can you let me know what you did to initiate daytime instrument lighting, apart from having the master switch to position '0'?
We both have the same lighting system, but my instrument lights will only illuminate in the daytime if I have either side or headlights on.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
finbrad
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520D

On my e60, position 0 with drl activated = dipped lights on. On my F10 posiyion 0 with drl activayed = no lights. Difference with your car and mine is, as mentioned above, DRL at position 0 hasn't been activated by dealership on my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Something wrong with your car, I have switch set too "O" and DRL's ON, turn on ignition DRL's ONLY come on as pre manual.
Ignition on = DRL's on, engine on = dipped beam head lights as well. Nothing wrong with my car other than the fact it has standard head lights and not xenon. It behaves the same as my previous E61 and as per the manual
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbrad View Post
On my e60, position 0 with drl activated = dipped lights on. On my F10 posiyion 0 with drl activayed = no lights. Difference with your car and mine is, as mentioned above, DRL at position 0 hasn't been activated by dealership on my car.
F10 with standard head lights should behave as per your E60, when activated as you say.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 01:44 AM   #16
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Please can you let me know what you did to initiate daytime instrument lighting, apart from having the master switch to position '0'?
We both have the same lighting system, but my instrument lights will only illuminate in the daytime if I have either side or headlights on.
Mines the same.
      04-24-2011, 02:37 AM   #17
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

With zenons, activate DRL in the idrive menu, then the angel eyes and rear bars light up when the ignition is on. Has worked the same way on my last 3 beemers
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 03:04 AM   #18
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Think I worded it badly.....in position 0 I have no instrument lighting but do have DRLs on which is how I like it. What I disliked about "auto" was seemingly having the instrument lighting on all day. Sorry for confusion.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #19
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

In my older E92 instrument lighting operates automatically and independently of exterior lighting, which is also automatic. So with DRL set to "on", and light switch set to "auto", front coronas and taillights are always on when the car is on; instrument lights are on when the interior is dark, and low beams are on when it's dark outside or when front fog lights are switched on. I doubt the F10 is different.
Appreciate 0