2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Owners with DHP: 'Fun Factor' vs. Reliability Issues

04-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Bandini3
Reader
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535xi, 435xi

Owners with DHP: 'Fun Factor' vs. Reliability Issues

This was my first post, but I placed it as a reply (under "Front End Grinding") rather than as a new Thread. I received a useful response from Gatoman39, which I will copy below.
---------------------------------------
I have had brief test drives of the 535i and 550i with Sport Package but without Dynamic Handling Package. I liked the power and sound of the 550i, but the 535i felt a bit more agile and seemed to have adequate power to be fun (not far off a 335i).

Based on various test reports, I convinced myself that DHP is an important option, to give the car a 'traditional' BMW feel (i.e. closer to a larger 335i than a 750i). However, I have read a few posts regarding the "grinding" noise. One CA told me the Active Roll Stabilization system has been a fairly common source of problems, but BMW now has a fix.

My questions:
1. Do you consider DHP a 'must have' option?,

2. Based on what you have heard, does the ARS (grinding) problem seem to be a rare occurence?, and

3. Has BMW recognized the ARS problem and issued a service bulletin on it?

Thanks for your input
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Bandini3
Reader
Canada
Rep

Response Received from Gatoman39

The Gatoman39 response appears below:

1. Do you consider DHP a 'must have' option?
No. The car is already very good without it. If you consider yourself an auto enthusiast, then yes. Ultimately it gives you more control over the car when driven very aggressively. If you don't plan to do that, then you're ordering a bazooka to go quail hunting.

2. Based on what you have heard, does the ARS (grinding) problem seem to be a rare occurence? It's a known issue, but I wouldn't call it rampantly problematic. Of course, you, me and everyone on this forum has only anecdotal evidence. The only people that know, won't tell you.

3. Has BMW recognized the ARS problem and issued a service bulletin on it?
I haven't seen a TSB on it. I've asked the SA at my local dealer that I have a pretty good relation with, and he says the only major issue he's seen with the F10 are the tires and that's not really F10 specific.

If you are worried about reliability of the system, I understand. This car has a lot of technology on it that makes it's long term reliability very problematic. Ultimatley, you have to get what you want and not worry about that because
a. you'll drive yourself to an early grave.
b. there are more important things in life.
I've seen cars that were never touched and went on without any problems for a long time and others that have been handled with kid gloves that were absolute pigs. I think a lot of it is just luck of the draw.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandini3 View Post
I have had brief test drives of the 535i and 550i with Sport Package but without Dynamic Handling Package. I liked the power and sound of the 550i, but the 535i felt a bit more agile and seemed to have adequate power to be fun (not far off a 335i).
I agree with Gatoman and can only add that, in reading between the lines of your question, it would appear that a sporty drive is important to you, in which case I would recommend the DHP.
It's known as Adaptive Drive+Variable Damper Control in the UK and I have it on my 6 month old 535d. Sport is my default mode unless I'm in town or on the motorway as I find the body roll excessive in normal and comfort modes. It works extremely well and the differences between modes is very noticeable.
My only note of caution regarding the F10 would be to ensure that you're happy with the straight line steering. For such a big car it handles remarkably well whilst negotiating a series of bends with the suspension set in sport or sport+ and provided that a positive cornering force is being applied to the wheel, the car is very responsive and a pleasure to drive. However, to me and several others on this forum, in the straight-ahead position it seems too light, lacks feedback and feels somewhat vague on-centre, which results in constant corrective inputs being required in order to maintain a steady heading. This is evident in all suspension modes, but more noticeable with normal or comfort selected. The secondary effect of this is that the car has a tendency to wander off-line if you pay anything more than a fleeting glance to the sat-nav or idrive menu. Like many other F10 owners, I share the view that this is an unwelcome side effect of the steering now being electric motor assisted as opposed to hydraulic.
I would therefore recommend that you take an extensive test drive over several hours in a car configured as closely as possible to what you want.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Based on the current design of the F10, if the only available settings were normal mode, or worse, comfort mode, I would drive my car into the ocean. Speaking of comfort mode, I have yet to find a use for it unless I was reliving my childhood years of riding in the back of my uncles Caddy.

For my tastes, the availability to change to sport mode (chassis only) for 90% of my driving and sport+ mode for 10% is absolutely required.
      04-26-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
Based on the current design of the F10, if the only available settings were normal mode, or worse, comfort mode, I would drive my car into the ocean. Speaking of comfort mode, I have yet to find a use for it unless I was reliving my childhood years of riding in the back of my uncles Caddy.

For my tastes, the availability to change to sport mode (chassis only) for 90% of my driving and sport+ mode for 10% is absolutely required.
Yes, if I had the luxury of driving on German Autobahns, I too would probably never use normal or comfort. However, I'm often glad of the softer settings to counter the parlous state of UK roads.
On decently surfaced roads, I also use either sport (chassis only) or sport+ when I want quicker downshifts.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Bandini3
Reader
Canada
Rep

Owners with DHP: 'Fun Factor' vs. Reliability Issues

Thanks for the feedback. In response to Gatoman and Jon D, I do want a “sporty drive”. I like the feel of a performance-oriented car, which is both fun to drive (on country roads) and safe. That being said, I don’t drive “very aggressively”. Otherwise, I'd be considering an M3 sedan (I love the M3, but it is definitely overkill for my needs and lacks the luxury interior of the F10).

Ideally, I would like a 5-Series that has an overall feel (roll stiffness, responsiveness) similar to a 335i with sports suspension. I like the agility of a 335i and feel it offers an excellent balance of comfort and sportiness. By contrast, my Mercedes E-Class is an excellent highway cruiser, but wouldn’t be described as “fun to drive”.

My first impression of the 535i (sport package, no DHP) was more favourable than I expected. Obviously it's larger and heavier than a 335i. But, contrary to what I had read in various roadtests, it did not feel that soft or ‘7-Series like’. That led me to question whether I “needed” DHP, although I know it would add to the ‘fun factor’.

I do have some concern about the complexity and reliability of the DHP suspension set-up. It seems (ARS) to be a weak point in the F10, which otherwise appears to have encountered relatively few teething problems.

After a CA described it as a common problem (which might have involved just one or two owners), I looked around online and found a couple of preowned M Package cars that appeared to be Trade Assist vehicles (i.e subject to a BMW-assisted buyback). The underlying problem wasn't disclosed, but a link to ARS ("grinding noise") seemed to be a plausible explanation. That led me to post this thread, to gain some insight from DHP owners.

I am aware of the criticism of the electric steering (i.e. artificial feel, lack of feedback). I am prepared to live with that. The system will inevitably find its way to the new-generation (F30) 3-Series, so it will be difficult to avoid. I expect BMW will eventually develop some form of software fix.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Yes, if I had the luxury of driving on German Autobahns, I too would probably never use normal or comfort. However, I'm often glad of the softer settings to counter the parlous state of UK roads.
On decently surfaced roads, I also use either sport (chassis only) or sport+ when I want quicker downshifts.
The roads in the urban areas of the united states resemble a 15 year old's face. I use the comfort setting to combat the 19 inch low profile staggered rim set up on the 535i Sport, in combination with RFT tires, an already stiff ride and horrible road conditions.
      04-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

check out Mlai's preliminary review of Adaptive drive vs. without over in 'Regional>Asia'.. 550i with IAS and same rims/tires

I would get it if i didn't have a 528i stripper.. but logically its a very stressed part and can be expected to have some problems, but at a low prevalence that would be acceptable
Appreciate 0