2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum passenger door ajaring by it self

09-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
chinese_food
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 528

passenger door ajaring by it self

So for the third time, my passenger door decides to open by its self. Not fully just a little. This happens while I'm driving. I have just the normal doors no soft closing or whatever. They are also locked as well.

I did a visual inspection and the acuators and clamps look good. I also tried to force it open and nothing happened. Looking back at it, it seems to happen when a hit a light bump. It could be a frame issue from my experience.

Is this a common problem with BMW or is it just me?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
Hei man, i had the same experience as you. When i was driving the other day. As i proceed into the toll, my driver side door suddenly popped out as in open by it self. Luckily it was still hang on to the clamp. No idea till now why did tat happen...
      09-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I would either bring it back to bmw for adjustment or try to move the door clamp (the one on the frame not the door) a few mm outwards. Seems like the door isn't latching onto that part fully.

Alan
      09-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
sigaris
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinese_food View Post
So for the third time, my passenger door decides to open by its self. Not fully just a little. This happens while I'm driving. I have just the normal doors no soft closing or whatever. They are also locked as well.

I did a visual inspection and the acuators and clamps look good. I also tried to force it open and nothing happened. Looking back at it, it seems to happen when a hit a light bump. It could be a frame issue from my experience.

Is this a common problem with BMW or is it just me?
Hi There,

I purchased a 2012 528 just last week, and this same issue happened to me on my first drive to work! I started a thread on this topic last week. I took it back to my dealer, and they had everything checked, but they're telling me that they don't see anything wrong. I still don't understand how it's possible for a fully closed door to pop open by itself without either something causing it or for the latch to have an issue.. Doors are designed to not pop open while driving!

I also filed a complaint with the NHTSA. I have a feeling this is a systemic issue. If you've had this issue, please report it to the NHTSA at the following link:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
pyramid
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Serpent S966

Garage List
Various Various  [0.00]
This has happened since MY2011, try getting a software upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
sigaris
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
This has happened since MY2011, try getting a software upgrade.
Wouldn't a new 2012 that was just delivered last week have the software upgrade? How do I know I have the latest?

Thank you for your post.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
pyramid
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Serpent S966

Garage List
Various Various  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigaris View Post
Wouldn't a new 2012 that was just delivered last week have the software upgrade? How do I know I have the latest?

Thank you for your post.
Older thread regarding door open
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=556556

Best way to find out is to hook your car up to the programming computer. Make sure they have loaded the latest platfom core program (Ispi). You will then be able to see what updates module available to your specific car.

What Ispi platform core looks like in dealer's programming computer (my post with atachments)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...859&highlight=
Appreciate 0