2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK VW Diesel Emissions saga

09-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Surprisingly this study was done some time ago with the results being presented two years ago. Apparently VW were present at the presentation.

It has only just blown up in the media now after government testing...
There's been a build up of data over the past few years on the failure of the NEDC test to represent real-world figures, but the issue is such a hot potato and gets pushed into the background, even when there has been exposure.

What seems to be the difference here, whereas the reports and studies focused on MPG and CO2 levels, this latest set of tests (NEDC and EPA regimes) show an anomaly with NOx emissions. Large discrepancies in real-world emission levels, compared to the official tests. Puzzled at the results, more investigations and this latest exposure.

Manufacturers have not been in favour of rapid implementation of the new Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Procedure (WLTC) under development, originally due in 2016. It is reported many involved want it postponed to at least 2020.

We may wonder why, but with what is as accepted as manipulation (gaming as it has been called this week) of the existing test regime, no surprises on delay tactics when the new test will have a real-world test element to it.

I think we can be sure that this past weeks exposure will change attitudes.

HighlandPete

Last edited by HighlandPete; 09-27-2015 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #24
alexank
Rep
Drives: F11 520d

What I find odd and this I think might suggest we will eventually learn that they have "all been at it" is surely manufacturers look at their competitors products in detail and should have noticed.

If a given car is better from a performance MPG and emission point of view then you would expect a competing manufacturer to go over it in detail to find out where it has the edge. During that analysis surely they would notice things don't stack up so then why not get the upper hand and blow the whistle?

Perhaps instead they have been doing exactly the same or simply copied the idea?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 10:52 PM   #25
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Unless of course, their nefarious tactics had simply put the cars where you'd expect them to be 'from a performance MPG and emission point of view'?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 05:44 AM   #26
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

I think we've all known for a long time that the figures claimed by the manufacturers and the reality encountered by the rest of us are poles apart. And that's for stuff that we as drivers can easily measure on a daily basis - i.e. fuel consumption. BMW's (and to be fair other makers too) fuel consumption figures are a fantasy.

So it begs the question; what on earth are they up to on stuff that we as drivers CANNOT measure!

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #27
DDarkEnergy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F11 Auto 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
I think we've all known for a long time that the figures claimed by the manufacturers and the reality encountered by the rest of us are poles apart. And that's for stuff that we as drivers can easily measure on a daily basis - i.e. fuel consumption. BMW's (and to be fair other makers too) fuel consumption figures are a fantasy.

So it begs the question; what on earth are they up to on stuff that we as drivers CANNOT measure!
Is not the manufacturers fault if the test is not realistic.

I can easily reproduce the "oficial" figures with my car driving in the MW at not more than the average speed of the Extra-Urban Driving Cycle and keeping accelerations and braking to a minimum. The problem is that the average speed of the EUDC is ridiculously low for modern cars: 39 m/h !!.
Now who drives like that to day?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 04:51 AM   #28
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

The problem isn't that the figures were unrealistic, it's that the car had a super clean test mode that was only used when certain parameters were met ie the car detected it was being tested. As the car never used this super clean mode while being driven, it was totally impossible that the figures could ever be matched while driving, no matter how carefully the driver was with speed, braking and acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 06:56 AM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDarkEnergy View Post
Is not the manufacturers fault if the test is not realistic.

I can easily reproduce the "oficial" figures with my car driving in the MW at not more than the average speed of the Extra-Urban Driving Cycle and keeping accelerations and braking to a minimum. The problem is that the average speed of the EUDC is ridiculously low for modern cars: 39 m/h !!.
Now who drives like that to day?
We definitely need a realistic test regime.

We hear the argument that it is only a comparative test, which it clearly is, but that doesn't work in practice, when we don't drive as light as the test.

If the test was formulated to be simulating the average of how we drive today, then the comparison idea may be more reflective in the real world.

The light loads of the test when compared, don't follow the same pattern when the loads are higher. The comparisons can then be so different. For example, NEDC combined figures may show a shortfall of 10% for one car in realistic driving, another 35% in the same driving. The tests must close that gap or there is no real credibility.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0