F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Waiting... New BMW 330e ad goes after Tesla Model 3 prospective buyers
Studio RSR

08-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #45
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Go 100% Electric with the eModels BMW or simply GO Home.
5 years - 2021 for a fully electric sedan according to BMW themselves. By then BMW would also need to be price competitive for the market that Tesla will have created and will be thriving in. Looks like BMW at least has 1) carbon fiber tech to reduce weight and 2) good styling. Other than that, I'm not sure what they can bring to the table for this growing market.

BMW is not ahead in technology - i.e. no software updates - have to buy a whole new car for new iDrive features. No autonomous driving, just driver assist. No charging network.
Like the autonomous driving tech that has killed multiple? No thanks
Get your facts straight before tell stories you cannot support.

Driver is responsible always.
Appreciate 2
      08-06-2016, 06:24 PM   #46
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
RE autonomous driving

So BMW will have to market "The Ultimate Riding Machine"?

Happy Saturday! Grab a scotch and a rare steak.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #47
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

It must have been horrible when the dinosaurs saw the giant meteor coming...

I currently own an E93 M3 with 109,000 miles on it. I have driven most models in the current BMW line up, including the i3. And I bought a Model X 90D two months ago, after considering it against X5, GL, XC90 and alike. I put my order in September 2015 and had to wait for months. The Model X was way more expensive than any of the other cars I mentioned. I literally bought it online, from my laptop, from the comfort of my bed trying to decide with my wife between red and white. We had never even seen one in real life when we ordered it. Boy, was it worth the wait.

I can say without a shadow of doubt: I do not see myself buying another ICE car again. Period.

I am willing to bet most people criticizing Tesla and their business model here have never actually driven or owned one of their cars.

Having said that, the ad exploits an awful concept: We know you absolutely love the competitors product, to a point of making a deposit and showing the will to wait for years. We know our product is inferior and you do not want it. But, hey, do you really want to wait. There is only one thing that sucks more than our car: Waiting! Waiting sucks! Buy our inferior product now.

Way to go, BMW.

Last edited by sheepboy; 08-06-2016 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 3
      08-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #48
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6 View Post
Like the autonomous driving tech that has killed multiple? No thanks
Not just untrue, but also misleading.

Have you ever driven a Tesla on Autopilot?

Tesla Autopilot, and other similar technologies, are safer than human drivers. This is a fact.

After driving a few thousands miles using Autopilot, I cannot see myself going on a trip with my family and driving on the highway without engaging it. Why would I? Knowing that it is at least twice as safe as if I were to drive? Why would I expose my family to double the risk of dying on a car crash?

There is a reason why pretty much every single car maker is working on self-driving cars and Autopilot-like technologies. Hint: it is not because they cause more accidents or kill more people than drivers like yourself.

Appreciate 1
Takumi587396.50
      08-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #49
CRtoE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Melbourne red

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDpetrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretender
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ZING
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecurryman
BMW or any car company would kill to have the kind of hype the Model 3 has. Imagine if a car company other than Tesla could pull just half of those pre order numbers for a car?
Yeah the M2 is in high demand but not model 3 demand. Hopefully this pushes BMW to make an electric car that doesn't look like the i3 and just looks, well, normal
The i3 looks better than that tesla shit.
You must be a troll because in fact the i3 looks like it's designed by a drunken.
I think the i3 looks great, Teslas look too Korean.
??
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #50
hypernova
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Note. Ad does not apply to the BMW M2
Or anyone caught in the differential recall. Coming on 6 months wait now...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 07:44 PM   #51
ArchiProf
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i XDrive E92

Garage List
Or an airbag recall...
      08-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #52
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDpetrol View Post
Can you please let me know what Korean car looks like this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Gate745.50
      08-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #53
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepboy
Quote:
Even the Korean won't make a car that fugly. I guess someone had to steal the Jeep Cherokee body lines eventually and make it even more hideous. :
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #54
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
I'd be interested in a plug in 330e with an M sport package. Except a 14 mile all electric range just isnt enough for the majority of commuters. If it had 30 to 40 miles all electric I can make that work and can be completely electric m-f. The Chevy Volt has a really great formula... 50+ mile electric range is perfect for the m-f commute then you have the gas motor to kick in and make more electricity for weekend road trips.

14 miles only gets you to be all electric for errands around your home city.

I'll see what BMW comes up with as a replacement. Until then I've got my deposit in for a Tesla Model 3 while I commute m-f in an electric Chevy Spark and enjoy my e90 M3 on the weekends.
This sums up my view as well. I loved my E90s (335i, 330xi, 335d), but BMW has nothing out there that meets my needs. I want to love the 330e, but 14 miles of range is simply pointless and insulting. My Volt gets me to work and back all on electricity and then allows me to take road trips as I please. The Model 3 will replace my Volt, unless BMW comes up with something better. Coming up on 33k miles and have only used 200 gallons of fuel with several long distance trips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepboy View Post

I currently own an E93 M3 with 109,000 miles on it. I have driven most models in the current BMW line up, including the i3. And I bought a Model X 90D two months ago, after considering it against X5, GL, XC90 and alike. I put my order in September 2015 and had to wait for months. The Model X was way more expensive than any of the other cars I mentioned. I literally bought it online, from my laptop, from the comfort of my wife trying to decide between red and white. We had never even seen one in real life when we ordered it. Boy, was it worth the wait.

I can say without a shadow of doubt: I do not see myself buying another ICE car again. Period.

I am willing to bet most people criticizing Tesla and their business model here have never actually driven or owned one of their cars.

Having said that, the ad is exploits an awful concept: We know you absolutely love the competitors product, to a point of making a deposit and showing the will to wait for years. We know our product is inferior and you do not want it. But, hey, do you really want to wait. Waiting sucks! Buy our inferior product now.

Way to go, BMW.
Even driving a Volt, I have the same perception. I will never buy another ICE again. Its just so archaic that I do not understand why anybody would buy one.
Appreciate 1
Takumi587396.50
      08-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #55
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Even the Korean won't make a car that fugly. I guess someone had to steal the Jeep Cherokee body lines eventually and make it even more hideous. :
I understand some people do not like the way Teslas look, and it is OK. There is a reason there are thousands of different car models, shapes, sizes colors: People have different taste. There are way more people that do not like the way BMWs look then there are of bimmer fanboys. To each its own.

Now, to go from there to saying Teslas look like Korean cars? This sounds like something Donald Trump would say: I saw a Tesla. It looks like a Korean car. Believe me, it was on that Iranian cash plane video.

Again: Regardless of whether you like the way it looks, point to one Korean car, any maker, model or year, that looks like a Tesla.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 08:42 PM   #56
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

330e wagon. Do it!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 09:35 PM   #57
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Quote:

I currently own an E93 M3 with 109,000 miles on it. I have driven most models in the current BMW line up, including the i3. And I bought a Model X 90D two months ago, after considering it against X5, GL, XC90 and alike. I put my order in September 2015 and had to wait for months. The Model X was way more expensive than any of the other cars I mentioned. I literally bought it online, from my laptop, from the comfort of my bed trying to decide with my wife between red and white. We had never even seen one in real life when we ordered it. Boy, was it worth the wait.

Having said that, the ad exploits an awful concept: We know you absolutely love the competitors product, to a point of making a deposit and showing the will to wait for years. We know our product is inferior and you do not want it. But, hey, do you really want to wait. There is only one thing that sucks more than our car: Waiting! Waiting sucks! Buy our inferior product now.

Way to go, BMW.
I put my deposit for a Tesla Model 3 the first day. I have driven the Model S and absolutely loved it. The autopilot feature and its technology in general had me sold. I have driven almost every competitor vehicle to the Model S and none of them come to par with its technology. It even drives great and is just as fun as the current 5 series today.

BMW will still be in my garage but in terms of what I will be daily driving or long trips will be the Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 10:33 PM   #58
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Quote:
Close the impractical doors and they all do.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 11:01 PM   #59
Jono2112
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

The i3 is either the ugliest looking car, or the coolest looking golf cart. I don't play golf, so I'll stick with a 2 or 3 series
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #60
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

So BMW designed a 3 series model that will compete with a Tesla model that was designed to compete with a BMW 3 series?

Feel like...

Last edited by rainfall; 08-07-2016 at 01:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2016, 11:52 PM   #61
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3
Quote:
Quote:
Lol that's awesome! Man tough crowed.

We can all agree to disagree, but either way the commercials are cute and poke fun, hey if they sell a few cars because of it great. At the end of the day this is really stupid shit to argue over. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 12:05 AM   #62
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDpetrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretender
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ZING
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecurryman
BMW or any car company would kill to have the kind of hype the Model 3 has. Imagine if a car company other than Tesla could pull just half of those pre order numbers for a car?
Yeah the M2 is in high demand but not model 3 demand. Hopefully this pushes BMW to make an electric car that doesn't look like the i3 and just looks, well, normal
The i3 looks better than that tesla shit.
You must be a troll because in fact the i3 looks like it's designed by a drunken.
Never try to get out of an i3 from back seat? Do that. Oh, close the door too...back door first and front or you'll call your insurance to fix it if you do it backward.
      08-07-2016, 12:09 AM   #63
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
I understand some people do not like the way Teslas look, and it is OK. There is a reason there are thousands of different car models, shapes, sizes colors: People have different taste. There are way more people that do not like the way BMWs look then there are of bimmer fanboys. To each its own.

Now, to go from there to saying Teslas look like Korean cars? This sounds like something Donald Trump would say: I saw a Tesla. It looks like a Korean car. Believe me, it was on that Iranian cash plane video.

Again: Regardless of whether you like the way it looks, point to one Korean car, any maker, model or year, that looks like a Tesla.
Apparently you either can't read, or lack any amount of comprehension. Did I say tesla looked Korean? No. So thanks for the dissertation, but you're in the wrong forum to find a majority crowd that favors tesla. Perhaps you should project towards someone who gives a shit.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 12:10 AM   #64
Pretender
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyv1
I just priced out a 330e on bmwcanada.ca and it came out to $75,854 plus sales tax (13% HST in Ontario), so total selling price would be $85,715...

How does this compare to a Model 3 exactly?

Note: all options were added to this model in question
You can buy 2 Model 3 before tax credit with Ludicrous package which will leave the $75k 330e in the dust. Yup.
For gasoline car, bimmer is the king but when it comes to EV, BMW is like 5 years behind Tesla. Accept that fact!
      08-07-2016, 12:22 AM   #65
Pretender
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
For you, i3 lovers. This's called : failed design.
Attached Images

08-07-2016, 12:26 AM   #66
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Way to go, BMW.

The Model 3 is nothing but an empty promise right now. You have no idea how good or bad it will be. Not sure how that makes the BMW inferior.

If I had a e93 I would want another car too. Declaring that you'll never buy an ICE car again based on it being better than much cheaper cars isn't very persuasive.
Appreciate 0