F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Waiting... New BMW 330e ad goes after Tesla Model 3 prospective buyers
Extreme Powerhouse

08-07-2016, 01:23 AM   #67
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr View Post
The Model 3 is nothing but an empty promise right now. You have no idea how good or bad it will be. Not sure how that makes the BMW inferior.

If I had a e93 I would want another car too. Declaring that you'll never buy an ICE car again based on it being better than much cheaper cars isn't very persuasive.
The idea comes from the Model S which took away the large luxury car USA market away from BMW. The Model 3 would EASILY compete with the 3 series, which was Tesla's stated market. And yes, the current 3 series would fall short in many ways against Tesla's technology. Innovation drives progress and BMW has been sitting on its butt.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 02:41 AM   #68
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
I don't think BMW is any position to pull this crap on tesla, I love bmws as much as the next person but BMW is a slow company when it comes to adapting new technology, Hybrids are old news by now bragging about a 330e that probably won't be able to get you far on the electric engine well that is just shooting your self in the foot, their hybrid m models should have been introduced at least three years ago to stay competitive. But BMW is playing the slow game for what reason, I am not sure of but hopefully BMW will realize this before its to late when the world has switched to electric cars and BMW is still sitting their producing straight sixes dreaming of the old days while listing to Glory days by Bruce Springsteen. BMW shape up and get in to the game you simply can't wait until year 2020 to produce a new electric car. The first hybrid super cars came around 2013-2014 so BMW is at least 3 years behind. Three years of technology is a lot for anyone who knows how fast tech evolves in today's society. It's like buying a computer at the electric store its old even before the truck transporting it to the electric store has arrived.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 03:01 AM   #69
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_88M
I don't think BMW is any position to pull this crap on tesla, I love bmws as much as the next person but BMW is a slow company when it comes to adapting new technology, Hybrids are old news by now bragging about a 330e that probably won't be able to get you far on the electric engine well that is just shooting your self in the foot, their hybrid m models should have been introduced at least three years ago to stay competitive. But BMW is playing the slow game for what reason, I am not sure of but hopefully BMW will realize this before its to late when the world has switched to electric cars and BMW is still sitting their producing straight sixes dreaming of the old days while listing to Glory days by Bruce Springsteen. BMW shape up and get in to the game you simply can't wait until year 2020 to produce a new electric car. The first hybrid super cars came around 2013-2014 so BMW is at least 3 years behind. Three years of technology is a lot for anyone who knows how fast tech evolves in today's society. It's like buying a computer at the electric store its old even before the truck transporting it to the electric store has arrived.
Tesla is 5 years ahead of BMW.

Tesla is simply killing it.

BMW knows it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 05:10 AM   #70
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Holy crap the Tesla brainwash is strong in this thread...
Appreciate 4
P111567.50
DeeKay553.00
123sub92.50
      08-07-2016, 05:49 AM   #71
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
You think that Tesla is less greedy by not having actual dealers and selling cars at higher prices? The government has piped money into them and they still need about 1B to continue to function in the third quarter. You never know which car will last longer, but tesla's battery tech and cooling technique is the oldest on the market. This explains the size of the battery pack and their limitations at max output. Maybe the model 3 will be better, but I wouldn't count on it. I saw a tests vehicle in person this past week and I wouldn't say it looked as appealing as the model S in any way. Thankfully nothing is as ugly as the model X. Not that I would ever purchase any model they offer, just my .02. I wouldn't trust that they continue to stay in business, unlike most of the other auto makers in today's market.
New brands need to do things better than the established ones. This is a FACT. Whatever they do now, will be the foundation of their image. So I think they would put even more effort in to this vehicle than BMW would on their cars and Im sure the quality will be great.

I'm not knowledgeable about the battery tech. However, what's clear to me is that other brands aren't doing (or can't do) what Tesla is doing right now -- building fullsize sedan that is has "Usable" driving range. Whether they use old tech or new tech doesn't matter to me. What matters is whether they deliver the performance. And they do.

There are reason why reviewers give Tesla great reviews and such. Yes, there are some hype, but Elon Musk is ambitiously trying to create a revolution in the motor market.
I just want to be a part of it.

(I love BMW, but as I said, the malfunctions and dealerships really brought down the expeirence.. Hopefully it will be fixed in the future).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 05:57 AM   #72
Welsh Meatball
Registered
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretender View Post
You can buy 2 Model 3 before tax credit with Ludicrous package which will leave the $75k 330e in the dust. Yup.
For gasoline car, bimmer is the king but when it comes to EV, BMW is like 5 years behind Tesla. Accept that fact!
Where on earth is your $75k figure coming from? MSRP for the 330e is $44k, which will likely be very close to the Model 3. With the Ludricous package (which will likely require a bigger battery) the Model 3 will probably cost over $50k, or even more.
Appreciate 1
oolas3388.00
      08-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #73
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretender
For you, i3 lovers. This's called : failed design.
Ehhh same as any crew cab Ford F-150, You go pillar less your gonna get that, no way around it. So no not failed design, BMW just made a design call and accepted the fact your gonna get that outcome. They figured ingress egress was worth the trade off.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #74
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Meatball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretender View Post
You can buy 2 Model 3 before tax credit with Ludicrous package which will leave the $75k 330e in the dust. Yup.
For gasoline car, bimmer is the king but when it comes to EV, BMW is like 5 years behind Tesla. Accept that fact!
Where on earth is your $75k figure coming from? MSRP for the 330e is $44k, which will likely be very close to the Model 3. With the Ludricous package (which will likely require a bigger battery) the Model 3 will probably cost over $50k, or even more.
Yep
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 08:49 AM   #75
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B///MWGuy
New brands need to do things better than the established ones. This is a FACT. Whatever they do now, will be the foundation of their image. So I think they would put even more effort in to this vehicle than BMW would on their cars and Im sure the quality will be great.

I'm not knowledgeable about the battery tech. However, what's clear to me is that other brands aren't doing (or can't do) what Tesla is doing right now -- building fullsize sedan that is has "Usable" driving range. Whether they use old tech or new tech doesn't matter to me. What matters is whether they deliver the performance. And they do.

There are reason why reviewers give Tesla great reviews and such. Yes, there are some hype, but Elon Musk is ambitiously trying to create a revolution in the motor market.
I just want to be a part of it.

(I love BMW, but as I said, the malfunctions and dealerships really brought down the expeirence.. Hopefully it will be fixed in the future).
I understand your stance here, and it makes sense. The thing that most people forget is that BMW created the PHEV and i3 to help meet CAFE standards. They're not trying to beat any other companies electric car any time soon, as that's not the goal. The same as any hybrid in the past, the EM adds to the performance value. The short range is useful in large metro areas that charge taxes based on the use of a vehicle with an internal combustion engine. That's why they have a save battery driving method. The consumers can utilize their electric range on demand, which is a nice selling feature in those markets. BMW is not an electric car company and doesn't intend to be. Making cars with a 300 electric range is not in cards for the near future. I would be surprised to see the i5 near that when it is released.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #76
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
Holy crap the Tesla brainwash is strong in this thread...

Yep. Most of them aren't enthusiasts. This is the auto pilot crowd.
Appreciate 2
123sub92.50
      08-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #77
Marioalex24
Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Nice ad haha. But im still going to wait for my model 3. I love bmw but theirs nothing that competes with Tesla yet.

Btw, im still keeping my e46 m3 zhp pack, thats not going anywhere and also my r53 mini gp edition.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #78
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut
Quote:

BMW knows it.
I'm not sure how you define "killing it," but BMW is simply a much, much more successful company. More models offered. Way more vehicles sold. More consumer awareness... And BMW actually is profitable, where Tesla has yet to actually make any money. No comparison!
      08-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #79
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Unsure as to why BMW would stoop this low. Who on earth wants a Tesla if you're into cars that look halfway decent? You cannot tell me that Teslas don't look like your average Hyundai.
Appreciate 1
oolas3388.00
      08-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #80
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioalex24
Nice ad haha. But im still going to wait for my model 3. I love bmw but theirs nothing that competes with Tesla yet.

Btw, im still keeping my e46 m3 zhp pack, thats not going anywhere and also my r53 mini gp edition.
Yea I hear you, being an auto enthusiast myself I love all walks of automotive propulsion!

Got a 700 hp classic and an r53 race car, both love fuel, one more than the other, but I also love my EV, still theirs something missing, that engine note all angry and bellowing in my ears just can't be replaced by a battery. Even if the battery is faster theirs something that gets the adrenaline going when you hear that v8 sing its song.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #81
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut
Quote:

BMW knows it.
I'm not sure how you define "killing it," but BMW is simply a much, much more successful company. More models offered. Way more vehicles sold. More consumer awareness... And BMW actually is profitable, where Tesla has yet to actually make any money. No comparison!
300k in $1000 deposits is killing it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #82
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

There are more 640d Gran Coupes on the road in the UK, than there are Model S's.

I still very much get the feeling Tesla's popularity is only limited to parts of the USA.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #83
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
300k in $1000 deposits is killing it.
$300,000,000... nice.

In the Financial Quarter that the Model 3 went on sale BMW made 10 times that in pre-tax PROFIT.
Appreciate 2
DeeKay553.00
      08-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #84
oolas3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
$300,000,000... nice.

In the Financial Quarter that the Model 3 went on sale BMW made 10 times that in pre-tax PROFIT.

These Tesla fanboys are laughable. "Killing it" is taking deposit from people for a product that doest exist to keep the rest of the money losing company afloat. Lol. Elon Musk has already stated that they will have to do yet another equity offering to keep the company going.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #85
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

omg guys you are killing one another. Chill down. It's ok that the other person thinks differently, you know?
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      08-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #86
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Yep. Most of them aren't enthusiasts. This is the auto pilot crowd.
What does it mean not being an "enthusiast"? Having objective opinions based on facts as opposed to blind loyalty to a brand? I am a car enthusiast, ICE, electric or otherwise. I am definitely not a blind bimmer fanboy, if this is what you meant. I enjoy the sound of my S65, the precision of the hydraulic power steering and the grip of the Pilot Super Sports. But I also enjoy 485 lb-ft of instant electric torque pining my back agains the seat.

Enjoying ICE and electric cars are not mutually exclusive. Believing that electric cars are in most ways better is a personal opinion.

As far as Autopilot, it is just a fact that it is safer than a human driver. So, yes, I am part of the Autopilot crowd. And if BMW does not come up with something similar soon, good luck selling luxury cars! I have two daughters and I am quite sure that, when they grow up, they will never own a car that does not have an Autopilot-like function. This is considering that they would still be legal to drive by them...

Last edited by sheepboy; 08-07-2016 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #87
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
The Model 3 is nothing but an empty promise right now. You have no idea how good or bad it will be. Not sure how that makes the BMW inferior.

If I had a e93 I would want another car too. Declaring that you'll never buy an ICE car again based on it being better than much cheaper cars isn't very persuasive.
I have an E93 M3 and I am really happy with it. It has 109,000 miles on it and became my garage queen after I bought the Tesla. It is in mint condition and I have no plans to sell it.

The "M4" never really did it for me. Turbo charged engine, fake sound pumped into the cabin, electric steering, subpar interior, the list goes on.

I think it will go down in history as the moment BMW M lost its mojo.

I am not trying to persuade anyone. I am simply stating a fact and putting my money where my mouth is. Model X >>>>> X5. Not even close. Put a V8 engine in both and the Model X still leaves the X5 for dead.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #88
oolas3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
The idea comes from the Model S which took away the large luxury car USA market away from BMW. The Model 3 would EASILY compete with the 3 series, which was Tesla's stated market. And yes, the current 3 series would fall short in many ways against Tesla's technology. Innovation drives progress and BMW has been sitting on its butt.

So a car that doesn't exist is better than a car that is available now? Makes sense.

BMW never had the large luxury market in the US. That belongs to Mercedes and Lexus.
Appreciate 0