2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 530d MPG and running costs?

03-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #45
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Part of the confusion is the original F10 525d had a version of the N57 3.0d engine with a single VNT/VGT turbo. The later 4-cylinder N47 variant in the 525d is the N47S1 engine, with the twin sequential turbo setup as the larger 535d.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #46
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
Pete: I stand corrected, The Swedish Broschure claims same turbo setup on 518D to 530D with variable turbo geometry etc called Twin Power Turbo.
      03-04-2014, 04:54 AM   #47
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
Pete: I stand corrected, The Swedish Broschure claims same turbo setup on 518D to 530D with variable turbo geometry etc called Twin Power Turbo.
I sense BMW have used the TwinPower Turbo designation in too loose a way, in that it has to cover all types of turbo engine.

To use their own words.

Quote:
BMW Twinpower Turbo:
One Term – Three Different Turbo Technologies
We can therefore read the engine cover as if it has a "TwinPower Turbo". BMW themselves in data say "TwinPower Turbo engine". We then have to clarify (it appears) what each engine has, to make up the TwinPower technology.

My own N55 petrol engine is listed as TwinPower Turbo , the TwinPower "package" is listed as having Valvetronic, Direct Injection & the Turbo.

BMW seem to make it even more complicated by originally using the reference to number of turbos or exhaust streams, but that doesn't quite stack up for the whole range of engines. We have the single exhaust stream VGT turbo in some of the diesel engines. BMW appear to link the turbo and common rail injection (and control) as the diesel TwinPower technology.

No wonder we can get confused.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #48
hajmuntz
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d lux touring LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
Haha, just read all of that in one hit.

Our three cars -

Wife has a Zafira for the family, had a diesel one but at 3k miles pa, when we changed it went to petrol.

My fun car is an Lotus Elise 111R - 30mpg, half that on track, and i could'nt care two hoots how much it is costing as I navigate my way through European tours with the roof off, or circling Spa Francochamps, pretty much overtaking anything we come into contact with, smiling every single second. Up and down through it' six speed box, second cam coming in at 6,200rpm as I head to an 8,200 redline.

Then there is my brand new LCI 520d - my everyday car, which I do not rag around most of the time. This is covering 100's of miles effortlessly weekly, fully automatic down to the lights, arriving at clients refreshed, listening to internet radio, talking on the phone, enjoying the ambience. Ironically it is this that I watch the diesel mpg in - if for no other reason than it is a constant challenge to do better mpg without driving like a snail, rather than the actual saving of money. That and when i look back at it, i love the look of mine, and this joy i share with the Lotus too.

I was tempted to sell the Lotus and buy a 535d with the increased budget, but in the end, they do different things. Most people have to compromise as running more than one car is a no no. I consider myself lucky, and as a result, have zero craving for a 530d/535d, not saying a would'nt buy one, just that I do not feel short changed with the 4 cylinder, and I like to drive quickly!

Fact is, in the UK, big petrols are for the more informed ( as above) the rest of the country will diesel it all day, even if they are paying more to purchase it....
Piers - you are bang on the money. Nearly went lotus myself but I love a flat six engine note!
Appreciate 0