2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK E39 v F10 ride quality/noise levels

03-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

E39 v F10 ride quality/noise levels

Hi guys,

I've had an E39 530i Sport for many years and I'm considering replacing it with what seems like the only logical successor, an F10.

My E39 is a Sport on 18 inch wheels. The balance between ride quality and handling is superb. It rides well even over rough roads - it never crashes over bumps. It's no S Class Mercedes, but it's never unpleasant either. Also, at cruise speeding on the Motorway the cabin noise levels are very low.

How does the F10 compare on it's various wheel/tyre/suspension options? I'd be likely to bin the runflats at the first available opportunity.

I notice the 19 inch wheel option has 275/35 rear tyres. This technically gives them a higher profile than my 265/35's and hopefully means there will be no degradation in ride quality. What's the sports suspension like? What about cabin noise?

What about if we swap down to 18's?

I'd be grateful for any thoughts you guys might have.

Obviously the answer is to test drive one with 19's on it but the trouble is I don't want to go wasting a salesman's time test-piloting a car I've no intention of buying and its likely that when I do find one I want to buy it'll be a sufficient enough distance away that I'll likely not be able to test drive it before getting to the stage where rejection will be based on condition rather than preference, if you know what I mean...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

looks no one has answered. As I came from an E39 msport with 18 wheels I feel qualified in answering!

so in 2002 I bought a new 530i msport with 18inch m parallel wheels and kept this car for 10 years as I was very happy with the car. The E60 never appealed and so after 10 years felt it was worth a change. I was a bit nervous as I knew the E39 was a very good car and a F10 would have a lot to live up to.

I've not got a 530d msport with 19 inch wheels and I feel the F10 is better than the E39 in all ways bar two.
Those two are the steering and the ride.

The E39 steering I thought was nigh on perfect, very communicative which gave me confidence to push the car and know exactly what it was doing.
The F10 is completely different and the first time I drove one, I was very disappointed. It was a lot lighter and just didn't get the feedback that you get with the E39.Thats presumably down to electric steering and run flat tyres. To highlight the difference, when I got back to driving my E39 after the test drive, it felt like it had no power steering, it was that different!
I've got used to it but I do miss the E39 in that respect.

In terms of ride, there are so many combinations of wheel size out there, passive and adaptive suspension systems it difficult to comment on, just search these forums but on my F10 I have 19inch wheels and passive msport suspension. This is slightly softer than the E39 although potholes and bad roads do unsettle the car.

The only way is to try a F10 and see what you think, but make sure its the spec you intend to drive as I suspect there are a lot of variations in feel depending upon what you want.

If the F10 had the E39 steering and handling, it would be near perfect. these two feature though let it down and for me, make me question the phrase ultimate driving machine.

I wish I had the space to have kept my E39 as it was and still is one of the worlds best car in my opinion. perhaps looking a little dated now (especially non msport ones) but still car I admire when I see one.

If you buy a F10, Save up and load it up with options as that's the way it will feel special. I moved over to the dark side and bought diesel this time, but that's probably for another thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Interesting, here is a legitimate opportunity to compare the F10 favorably to the E39. Those don't come along often.

From a rigidity, roadworthiness, and isolation standpoint, the F10 chassis is worlds beyond the E39. It is a tank, hewn from a single piece of granite in comparison. Noise levels are astoundingly low and the interior feels like a bank vault.

The E39 truly was a wonderful car. It felt smaller than it was, the steering was excellent, and the V8 in the 540 was a great match. The F10 is substantially more solid and quiet, though, and in my opinion you could run one with 19" wheels and still very much feel improvements over an E39 in this area. And by the way, the N55 powered 535 is more than a little bit faster than the 540 was. The 550 is another beast altogether, but quite a bit more expensive.

By all means, though - if you consider a rear wheel drive version, think about the 704 M Suspension, and if you consider an xDrive version do not forego the expensive DHP suspension package. Either is necessary to tighten up the ride to a point where it will be acceptable to an E39 owner. The 704 suspension somewhat more so.

Last edited by WilliCO; 03-11-2014 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I'll add more to hit sin terms of refinement, as you'd hope, 2 generations on, the F10 is more refined than the E39.

I have a 530d diesel and no matter how good, a diesel will always be a bit more noisier, but despite this, once teh car is on the move, it is very quiet. Id'd be hard pressed to pick up it being a diesel once at speed.
So yes it is very quiet inside

My car as teh mposrt suspension, passive and its ok but I think teh tyres let it down.

I'd certianly be interested in know what the F10 is like without runflat tyres. Reading forums here, seems to suggest it transforms the car.

The runflats are a stpe backwards in terms of comfort and handling but the one thing they are good at is allowing you to continue with a puncture. I can speak from experience on this as in just over 11000 miles, I've had 2 rear punctures. On the second occasion I travelled over 400 miles on a flat at motorway speeds before having it replaced. Well over what's specced for the tyre and just proves how strong they are. I may have just been lucky with that though but its worth bering that in mind.

Please go and have a test drive in the model you want and then see what you think.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I was a very happy E39 owner, over 4-years in a 540i touring. My car was a well specified 1998 model, (included double glazing), optioned with M-Tech suspension, running a 17" staggered setup on a touring, very unusual wheel combination for the period.

I also skipped the E60/1 and had an E91 330d for over 6-years, so not moving directly from the E39 to an F11. But saying that, the E39 was "THE" benchmark for any car I tried. Even with the V8 and not having the rack and pinion steering of the straight six models, still a very good steering setup, just a layer down for ultimate steering precision. But not an issue, the V8 made up for that.

How does the F11 stack up against the E39? For me, as good or better in every way. Getting the specification correct, it doesn't have me wishing it was as good as an E39. It is better, and that includes the ride quality and steering with my setup. I'm convinced AD helps the steering precision, BMW certainly claim it helps, partly as the car's balance is neutral for more of the time, which we know helps steering purity. In fact I prefer the normal steering setting, rather than the sport setting, as it gives a better more communicative feel to the chassis. Steering could have a slightly improved centre feel, but it is not something that spoils the drive. Then that was a similar thought for the E39 V8.

I run 18" summer wheels and even on RFTs, I've no issues with them at all. Work well with adaptive suspension and ride comfort is every bit as good as the E39 and better as road quality deteriorates. I was not a fan of RFTs in previous models, removed them from my E91, but have no intention to swap out on this car, will run as BMW intended, without spare wheel issues.

Noise levels... both my cars being petrol, virtually the same for NVH, I sense the F11 is more refined as a package, also suggest the F11 is the quieter car.

My conclusion, the F10/11 is a modern E39, superb cars if specified to your driving needs.

HighlandPete

Last edited by HighlandPete; 03-12-2014 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Thanks very much for taking the time to give detailed replies, guys. The more I approach this potential purchase the more nervous I've become - I constantly see people comparing unfavourably with the E39, ie 'Interesting, here is a legitimate opportunity to compare the F10 favorably to the E39. Those don't come along often.' in the post above!

I love my E39. It is a fantastic car and I've had it for 8 years now. I too skipped the E60 because it just didn't feel anything like as good. However it can't hide it's age and I really do think it's time I replaced it as my daily driver (Happily the values are so low that I can justify keeping it as a second car!).

Something I've experienced from the odd poke around F10's is flimsy doorcards etc. Are these Friday afternoon cars or does the car genuinely feel less substantial inside than an E39? I've resigned myself to the fact nobody makes an E39 anymore and whatever I buy might not feel quite as solid and rattle free, but I still want something that feels like a quality product.

One thing I have noticed from some time in an F11 on 17's is tyre noise thats noticeably more intrusive than that in the E39. Is this purely down to the RFT's and cured by banishing them?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox530 View Post
Something I've experienced from the odd poke around F10's is flimsy doorcards etc. Are these Friday afternoon cars or does the car genuinely feel less substantial inside than an E39? I've resigned myself to the fact nobody makes an E39 anymore and whatever I buy might not feel quite as solid and rattle free, but I still want something that feels like a quality product.

One thing I have noticed from some time in an F11 on 17's is tyre noise thats noticeably more intrusive than that in the E39. Is this purely down to the RFT's and cured by banishing them?
I do believe virtually everything in the E39 was top tier for quality and build, just made the car a very special place. E39 door cards are as well finished as any car I've ever come across. The F10/11 is a little different, IMO, rather than a lesser product. I've been over my car with a very fine tooth comb, still see it as a development of the E39. Doors, seals, sill plates, carpets, etc., boot finish, all so similar a fit and finish. Under bonnet fit and finish is up there with the E39, even better in many respects.

I'm continually reminded of the E39, when in the F11, even opening a rear door and looking in is so E39, almost like having flash backs.

I'm on 17" RFT winter tyres at present (Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D) and the noise level is not an issue at all. Soon be back on the 18" summer wheels, (Continental Sport Contact 3 SSR) will be interesting to see if I notice the difference, but can't say they ever gave issues and certainly didn't have thoughts of running on 'quiet' winter wheels.

Tyres can be an issue, but that is more to do with brand than size, or RFTs in particular. I ran Dunlop SP Sport 2000E on the E39 for the whole period I had the car, I wouldn't say I have more tyre noise in my F11. Obviously surfaces can make a difference, granite chipped topping is worst, but is in any car I have ever had.

I'm really pleased with my F11, having run it 18 months, the best decision and move I could have made. The E91 never really filled the gap, so pleased I came back to a 5-series, rather than get an F31 3-series.

I certainly don't wish I was back in the E39, I see the F11 for what it is. BMW have moved on, pleased I've moved on and embraced the changes.

One further observation, I still believe any BMW is specification sensitive, matching a decent E39 package may mean having to choose well, to get a similar feel from the car.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0