2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum DIY-ish to Vinyl Wrap BMW F10

11-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #45
mragarg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky4l
Quote:
Originally Posted by mragarg
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Don't do the tron lines, suits an Aventador but not a F10!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky4l View Post
Never used vivid brand, but like I said if you're a first timer stick to 3M, btw my company is in no relation associated with 3M, we mostly use Avery products.

My guys removed my handles but I think if you open the door you'll see a cap next to the handle, under that is a screw, take that out and you're done...

I would buy a proper heat gun, even a cheap one will work, a hair dryer won't get hot enough quick enough and push too much air

Primer is important on edges and any hard to stick places, fender wells, door jams, hard to get bumper inner corners. But you can do a wrap without it as well...

I don't like the Tron idea, if the car looks like a wrap you'll get tired of it quickly. If it looks like paint you will keep it for a long time. My theory on anything done to a car is simple, it should look like it may have come that way from the dealer. All the big wide body and over the top builds are not for me. Liberty Walk is cool at Sema but I wouldnt want to drive one down a busy road...

And imagine you are picking up a girl for a date for the first time, is she going to look and your Tron car and think he's cool or is she going to run away...
That's true about the tron style. It will look too immature to do, especially if I drive the car around campus. I just thought it'd be cool because the tape blends in during the day, but at night is when it'll show.

If I do end up doing the Matte Blue Metallic, should I powder coat my wheels black or do you think they are fine. They look like this.

Black yet, but they need to be gloss. I'm not a fan of matte black wheels, they always look dirty.

Thank you everyone for thinking I'm an expert! I'm just another car guy with very particular taste when it comes to modifying cars.
Oh definitely gloss. I've never been a fan of matte black wheels. :

How much do you think it should run me?
1972 Mercedes Benz 280 SEL
2014 BMW 550i
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 01:02 PM   #46
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Black yet, but they need to be gloss. I'm not a fan of matte black wheels, they always look dirty.

Thank you everyone for thinking I'm an expert! I'm just another car guy with very particular taste when it comes to modifying cars.
Hey Sticky4l would you be able to sell us the vinyl for a good price?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #47
mragarg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Quote:

BUMP!
2014 BMW 550i
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 05:43 PM   #48
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBentley
Quote:
I own a printing and signage company and we do car wraps.

I can say as a beginner you should stick with a 3M product. They stick better then the others and are easier to use. Take your time and you'll do fine, the product is amazing. Do each piece separate, smallest piece at a time, don't be a hero!

-Cleaning the car is key, especially all of the edges where it wraps around.
-A good heat gun is needed. The vinyl will stretch a lot but will eventually give.
-Vinyl has memory so of it gets out of hand lightly heat it and it will return to its original flat shape.
-Be patient, take your time and don't get frustrated.
-Vinyl is not paint so you may get it 99% but there will usually be tiny defects.
-25 yards is needed to wrap a car.
-Anything matte color will look like a wrap, but gloss looks more like paint.

The blue you are doing is our fleet color, nice color but it's bright and you may get sick of it quickly. My car is wrapped in Avery because they make the nicest shades of grey, but Avery is hard to work with and doesn't stick as well.

Hope this helps

[IMG]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...psego7ahvs.jpg[/IMG]
Great advice! Puts it all into perspective. Also, what about chrome wraps? I was thinking of doing my car in blue chrome. Is it harder or easier to deal with this wrap? Does 3m make a nice dark royal blue chrome? Sorry for the questions but you seem like the man to go to for this stuff!
Chrome wraps go against everything I believe in! LOL sorry I am not a fan, again a wrap should look like it may have come painted like that from the dealer.

Chrome vinyl is also very hard to use, beginners beware!!
What makes it harder to work with?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #49
Sticky4l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Harley Davidson

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can say as a beginner you should stick with a 3M product. They stick better then the others and are easier to use. Take your time and you'll do fine, the product is amazing. Do each piece separate, smallest piece at a time, don't be a hero!

-A good heat gun is needed. The vinyl will stretch a lot but will eventually give.
-Vinyl has memory so of it gets out of hand lightly heat it and it will return to its original flat shape.
-Vinyl is not paint so you may get it 99% but there will usually be tiny defects.

The blue you are doing is our fleet color, nice color but it's bright and you may get sick of it quickly. My car is wrapped in Avery because they make the nicest shades of grey, but Avery is hard to work with and doesn't stick as well.

Hope this helps

Great advice! Puts it all into perspective. Also, what about chrome wraps? I was thinking of doing my car in blue chrome. Is it harder or easier to deal with this wrap? Does 3m make a nice dark royal blue chrome? Sorry for the questions but you seem like the man to go to for this stuff!
Chrome wraps go against everything I believe in! LOL sorry I am not a fan, again a wrap should look like it may have come painted like that from the dealer.

It doesn't have a lot of stretch, marks and creases easily. Plus it doesn't stick great.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 06:00 PM   #50
Sticky4l
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BUMP!
What is the best price you got so far?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #51
mragarg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BUMP!
What is the best price you got so far?
About $675

Also where and what tools should I get?
Attached Images

2014 BMW 550i
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 07:48 PM   #52
Sticky4l
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mragarg View Post
About $675

Also where and what tools should I get?
That's a good price, I wouldn't save you anything. Nobody is cheaper the. Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #53
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps

It doesn't have a lot of stretch, marks and creases easily. Plus it doesn't stick great.
Oh okay I see. Not sure if you saw the YouTube playlist that was posted in the first post in this thread, but there were some blue chrome wrapped F10's that looked amazing. That's where I got the idea from
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #54
mragarg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps

Oh okay I see. Not sure if you saw the YouTube playlist that was posted in the first post in this thread, but there were some blue chrome wrapped F10's that looked amazing. That's where I got the idea from
I saw VVIvid has this chrome that's durable. But again it's hard to apply. I really want to do chrome too lol!
2014 BMW 550i
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 08:44 PM   #55
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps

I saw VVIvid has this chrome that's durable. But again it's hard to apply. I really want to do chrome too lol!
Lol honestly I love it. But it's gotta be done right. There's a guy around my neighborhood that's got a Mercedes E63 amg in red chrome and it's a BEAST! would love to do the chrome blue
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 11:24 PM   #56
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i wanna keep my car black so i'm thinking frozen black or matte black? i think it's the same thing?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 11:39 PM   #57
mragarg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i wanna keep my car black so i'm thinking frozen black or matte black? i think it's the same thing?
I think same thing. You should do that. But please no matte black wheels lol. The color you have now looks dope
2014 BMW 550i
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 12:01 AM   #58
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think same thing. You should do that. But please no matte black wheels lol. The color you have now looks dope
wheels will stay the same matte antique bronze. i will see how badly i wanna do this as it would suck if it doesn't come out right. i've watched a lot of the videos and they make it seem so easy. definitley helps with a partner.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #59
Sticky4l
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
wheels will stay the same matte antique bronze. i will see how badly i wanna do this as it would suck if it doesn't come out right. i've watched a lot of the videos and they make it seem so easy. definitley helps with a partner.
You're car is amazing. If you want blk do 3M satin blk. Very nice color
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 11:41 PM   #60
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yep...that's color i want! i'll play it by ear! my mods to-do list is so damn long lol!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 01:21 AM   #61
mragarg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
yep...that's color i want! i'll play it by ear! my mods to-do list is so damn long lol!
When do you plan to wrap your car?
2014 BMW 550i
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 01:23 AM   #62
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

not any time soon...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 02:20 AM   #63
Sticky4l
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
not any time soon...
I'm probably refinishing my wheels in a similar color to yours.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 04:45 AM   #64
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm probably refinishing my wheels in a similar color to yours.
That would be sweet! Definitely post some pictures when u do!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #65
Alcenos
Field Marshal 🔱
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition (F90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Agree! Don't do the Tron design
LOL, Tron.

Don't be the Tron guy...

2002 E46 325i - Space Grey (retired)
1999 E46 328i - Orient Blue (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #66
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0