2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 pulling to the right...

12-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #265
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetiker View Post
Hi;
I talked with the technicans today. They told me that bmw f10/11 steering system interfere when there is wind. What I mean is if the wind blow from right, steer rotate to the right at most 3 degree to the right to absorb the effect of the wind. This why car zig-zagging when windy.
Total Crap.
      12-15-2010, 03:54 AM   #266
mlai
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Total Crap.
It is so funny that cars are so complicated nowadays and they can make up all these strange explanations and none of us will ever know if they are true....

And this is what we can only do:
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 04:03 AM   #267
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai View Post
It is so funny that cars are so complicated nowadays and they can make up all these strange explanations and none of us will ever know if they are true....

And this is what we can only do:
It amazes me that people "Believe this crap", a 2011 model car being blown around in the wind
I drove the 3.0 Diesel M Sport in a strong side wind and it did not move one jot.
      12-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #268
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Read the technical blurb and EPS does compensate for side winds... that is one of the features which can be tuned within the EPS software.

But having side winds cause issues, there is something wrong.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #269
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Read the technical blurb and EPS does compensate for side winds... that is one of the features which can be tuned within the EPS software.

HighlandPete

The Bmw SuperComputer performs a trillion calculations a second, and has the latest cross-wind modeling software with automatic downloads of live weather updates every 5 minutes..
But there is still no conclusive evidence it can outperform the null configuration -ie. a metal box with four wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #270
wannes
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535 E61

Angry

i just came from my dealer ... they thought they had a sollution ... but it didn't work out ...

now they told me the car is pulling to the right due to the assymetric pirelli wintertyres

they put on some 17" summer wheels and the car went straight ... i can't believe it ..

so first time when the wether is a little better i'm going to try it myself with the 20" oem summerwheels of my friend ..
then they can tell me it' because of the 20"
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #271
wannes
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535 E61

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySuperF10 View Post
My pulling to the right is gone. My dealer updated the software and changed something in the suspension. The technicial showed me some pictures from the BMW knowledge base. He showed me the spring on the right side and I saw on that picture that something needed a turn of about 7 mm. I believe it was to remove tension of the spring.
I'm a happy driver again....
All the best getting your problems resolved too.
that was the idea for mine also ...
but it didn't work out that way ...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #272
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

The term 'assymetric' and tires were never a good match

Better method; travel with a large guy .. ask him to sit where is best appropriate to solve whatever alignment/pulling/steering/thumping noise issues you may be experiencing at the moment.. i bet the dealer does this to get 90% of customers off their backs
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #273
AWF10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I also have this problem...after 3-4 seconds my car would change lanes to the right on its own it let go of steering wheel. I will have to call soon to schedule for the fix. So I would just ask them to do software update and this should take care of pulling to right?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #274
blackhawk_pilot2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011, BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

HighlandPete
While driving my car on gusty wind conditions, it zig zags like crazy. To the point of fatiguing the driver pretty bad. Since this is hard to reproduce due to

whether conditions. My car went in and the adjusted the struts on the suspension which made it better but not perfect, it still wants to pull to the right after 4-5 seconds of letting go of the wheel. Have another appointment next week for them to adjust the suspension some more.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #275
cagatacos
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: f11 520 d sport auto

F11 520 d sport auto 17´ build week 46
Some problem:
Pulling to the right after 3-4 sec
Zig-zag (specially with wind or in descending with cruise control activated above 160 Kmh)
Sometimes it seems that the car isn´t safe.
You need to strogle in the wheel.
SO WHAT S RťTHE PROBLEM?
A) Software?
B) suspension arms?
C) Aligmnent of the direction (cambers)?

Is there a solution for the problem???
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #276
surajorthodont
Rep
Drives: bmw 5 series

Angry f10 right pulling issues

dear f10 friends

unfortunately or fortunately i purchased the 2011 f 10 528i with 21'' alloys..and the works from abu dhabi-UAE.

i drive the E class too-merc..

and i have to confess..the biggest mistake in my life-bmw 5 series f10..i dont feel safe in the car one bit.mentire concentration is on the steering wheel leaving me little time to enjoy the other comforts and tech in the car.its a disaster.bmw has to come out in the open about the right drifting.it has nothing to with all the crap talk the service centere inform..its just basic engineering fault.

my service center has been very patient with me in fixing the issue..but to an extent.they seem to be clueless too.

when i sit on the wheels of my mercedes..its a sigh of relief.

i wish bmw had an international hotline so that i can cuss the hell out of them to create such a crap vehicle..they cant get the basic of driving mechanics right..although it has tons of hi tech in the car.

tried the 10mm shifting of the suspension or control arm or whatever bmw specifies,tried the alignment,tried the re-installation of the eps module..but to my utter disappointment the 5 SERIES BMW CONTINUES TO PULL TO THE RIGHT.

TURNING TO THE LEFT has a HEAVY feel to it than TURNING TO THE RIGHT.

MY LEFT SHOULER IS FEELING THE EFFECTS OF THE CONTINIOUS STRAIN.I HAD TO TAKE PAIN KILLERS FOR THAT.

but the bottom line is that I DONT FEEL SAFE IN THE CAR AT ALL..PERIOD..IT JUST DOESNT STAY ON ONE LANE..AND I JUST PRAY I DONT GET INTO AN ACCIDENT SOONER OR LATER.

I WANT TO GET RID OF THE CAR HONESTLY SPEAKING.

shame on bmw to keep this silent and not come out in the open.

my contact # is 0097150-1095500 if anyone from bmw wishes to contact me.

regards;((((((((((((((((((((((((

and all you f10 owners..keep it straight
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 05:08 AM   #277
blackhawk_pilot2000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surajorthodont View Post
dear f10 friends

unfortunately or fortunately i purchased the 2011 f 10 528i with 21'' alloys..and the works from abu dhabi-UAE.

i drive the E class too-merc..

and i have to confess..the biggest mistake in my life-bmw 5 series f10..i dont feel safe in the car one bit.mentire concentration is on the steering wheel leaving me little time to enjoy the other comforts and tech in the car.its a disaster.bmw has to come out in the open about the right drifting.it has nothing to with all the crap talk the service centere inform..its just basic engineering fault.

my service center has been very patient with me in fixing the issue..but to an extent.they seem to be clueless too.

when i sit on the wheels of my mercedes..its a sigh of relief.

i wish bmw had an international hotline so that i can cuss the hell out of them to create such a crap vehicle..they cant get the basic of driving mechanics right..although it has tons of hi tech in the car.

tried the 10mm shifting of the suspension or control arm or whatever bmw specifies,tried the alignment,tried the re-installation of the eps module..but to my utter disappointment the 5 SERIES BMW CONTINUES TO PULL TO THE RIGHT.

TURNING TO THE LEFT has a HEAVY feel to it than TURNING TO THE RIGHT.

MY LEFT SHOULER IS FEELING THE EFFECTS OF THE CONTINIOUS STRAIN.I HAD TO TAKE PAIN KILLERS FOR THAT.

but the bottom line is that I DONT FEEL SAFE IN THE CAR AT ALL..PERIOD..IT JUST DOESNT STAY ON ONE LANE..AND I JUST PRAY I DONT GET INTO AN ACCIDENT SOONER OR LATER.

I WANT TO GET RID OF THE CAR HONESTLY SPEAKING.

shame on bmw to keep this silent and not come out in the open.

my contact # is 0097150-1095500 if anyone from bmw wishes to contact me.

regards;((((((((((((((((((((((((

and all you f10 owners..keep it straight

This is exactly the same with my car. And my car is one of the mosr recent production builds. Its been to the dealership once, they rotated the struts or something and although somewhat better than it used to be it still wants to drift towards the right. This morning it was a little bit windy and my car zig zag. I had to keep inputing corrections because out of the blue it would move every which way. I dont know if thats a feature of the electronic steering, but if it is it sure scares the hell out of me. Its scheduled to go back in for more adjustment next week, but I will keep taking it back until it feels safe to drive again. I wonder if theres a point when BMW says, ok I'll get it back from you and give you one that works as advertised?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 05:35 AM   #278
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk_pilot2000 View Post
To the point of fatiguing the driver pretty bad.
This is exactly how I discovered the problem in my car. I never felt the pull but my wife, who is petite, would complain about the car making her arms hurt/tired. I then started closely monitoring the steering and realized it did have a very slight pull.

I live in Germany (saw the growing thread for others around the globe) and figured the German dealership should be able to take care of this no problem.

First visit was basic troubleshooting of the pull which they could not correct. They said they needed it for a 2nd appointment for 2 days, which afterwards the pull was significant, I am talking lane change significant. I had my 3rd appointment to repair which I had to cancel due to non BMW related stuff.

So since then my car has sit in the garage (late October) and I have a new 3rd appointment set up for next week.

Being that I am in Germany, and that this situation for the pull is a global build specific situation, I am hoping they will be able to apply some new knowledge to the situation since its been 3 months since appointment #2.

With all this said, at this point, the car is an absolute true joy and wouldnt hesitate to buy again. I have full confidence the situation will be remedied, I only hope its soon.
      01-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #279
surajorthodont
Rep

hmmm...ok..so i do hv company..the gud news 4 u guys is tht u guys r closer 2 bmw than i am..i mean in germany..te bad news frm ur reply is tht its happenin in germany 2..nd thy dnt hv a clue bout wats happenin...so who the hell is supposed 2 give the solution and equations????the lead bmw engineer!no respect for him whatsoever..if thy cant keep a set of 4 wheels in a straight goddamn line!
zig zah u say..exacto-thts wats happenin on the highways..its jus goin zig and zag..i just dnt get te time to enjoy the comforts of this car when im drivin..thts all i hv 2 say.when its stationary nd not movin i can enjoy..but aint tht a sad situation.

i dunno wat 2 say..jus prayin bmw reads all these and helps f10 owners out of their misery!

thanks for ur replies @blackhawk and @delvek
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #280
cagatacos
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: f11 520 d sport auto

So after all.
Has any body from the forum that has the pulling to rhe right or Zig Zag wondering solved?
From what i have read some people when they took it to the dealer the problem becam worse. So What to do? Keep on waiting the solution (is there one so far) or take the car and pray that they know what are doing.
I´m very
after all it could be the perfect car... and youcan´t go above 160 km/h...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 01:51 AM   #281
blackhawk_pilot2000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagatacos View Post
So after all.
Has any body from the forum that has the pulling to rhe right or Zig Zag wondering solved?
From what i have read some people when they took it to the dealer the problem becam worse. So What to do? Keep on waiting the solution (is there one so far) or take the car and pray that they know what are doing.
I´m very
after all it could be the perfect car... and youcan´t go above 160 km/h...
+1
and I hope that people isn't just learning to live with it. It is unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #282
surajorthodont
Rep

im just learnin 2 live wit it til i can dispose the BMW F10 528I BULLCRAP MACHINE..nd go in trusted brands like te mercedes or ford..never again in my life-bmw-bull!@#$ motor works
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #283
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

try this experiment... if your problem is pulling to the right, have someone of large mass sit on the other (passenger) side - does the car still pull?

I noticed when I have a passenger on the other side, the car is a lot straighter than if Im driving by myself

Isnt it basic mechanics that load distribution would effect how a car drives? What happens if you have all the people on ones side of the boat? It tips over..

Assuming that a car should be perfectly straight with only the driver (=uneven load distribution) is assuming that the car is 'biased' wrt load distribution to drive straightest with only the driver ...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #284
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
try this experiment... if your problem is pulling to the right, have someone of large mass sit on the other (passenger) side - does the car still pull?

I noticed when I have a passenger on the other side, the car is a lot straighter than if Im driving by myself

Isnt it basic mechanics that load distribution would effect how a car drives? What happens if you have all the people on ones side of the boat? It tips over..

Assuming that a car should be perfectly straight with only the driver (=uneven load distribution) is assuming that the car is 'biased' wrt load distribution to drive straightest with only the driver ...
Load distribution, alignment, computer controls, tire pull, bent parts, etc. can all result in a pull. In addition road crown typically causes a "drift" to the right in most cars.

The question here is what is causing the problem??
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #285
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I'm so pleased I've held back on getting an F11, I have a 3-series which tracks perfectly straight, steering is perfectly weighted and the car is totally predictable, I never have to think about the steering. It wasn't always like it... removing run-flats sorted it. So I hang on until we know what is going on here, I can't face buying into known and unresolved issues. Been there before with two other cars and it just isn't worth it, IMO.

BTW, isn't there one forum member who had a new rack after a visit from BMW and ZF. ZF said it was OK, but the gagage went ahead and fitted the new steering rack. Problems solved I seem to remember. Wonder what the latest is on that particular car?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #286
N16E
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

My need to constantly correct the steering was solved with a new steering rack (I'm guessing perhaps a software upgrade as well), since having the work carried out 4000 miles ago my car drives just as it ought to - safely and in a straight line (not too much to ask I know).

N16E

PS - my fault was the steering cogging feel, not drifting to the left.
Appreciate 0