2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Thinking to buy M-sport bumper

08-30-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Xdrive

Thinking to buy M-sport bumper

Hi, I am just curious which shop is the best to buy M-sport bumper. I have 3 options,
1. Mod*******s
2. Tri***y
3. Umn***a

need your recommend guys before buying it

also, what colour is the best for the foglight?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
Texaz3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z3MC Z4MC E36M E46M E93M E39M

I had good experience with Mod*******s, the product is the same, I believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
I recommend OEM. Perfect fit. I replaced my front and rear non-M bumpers with OEM M bumpers.
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=bumper

With straight after-market, you may save money up front but spend more on installation labor if you come across fitment issues. With OEM, you WILL spend more up front, but you will have a very low labor cost for install because fitment will be perfect.

There is a third option. Insurance companies authorize collision repairs to be made with Assured Quality Replacement Parts (AQRP). These parts are certified for a higher degree of quality and fitment than we would normally be able to get from eBay. Here's the link to a National business that wholesales and retails AQRPs.

http://www.lkqcorp.com/

A local collision repair center may also give you a good price on labor if you let them make a little money on buying the AQRP bumper for you.

Enjoy!

Last edited by MWPos; 08-31-2013 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Andy H.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos View Post
I recommend OEM. Perfect fit. I replaced my front and rear non-M bumpers with OEM M bumpers.

With straight after-market, you may save money up front but spend more on installation labor if you come across fitment issues. With OEM, you WILL spend more up front, but you will have a very low labor cost for install because fitment will be perfect.

There is a third option. Insurance companies authorize collision repairs to be made with Assured Quality Replacement Parts (AQRP). These parts are certified for a higher degree of quality and fitment than we would normally be able to get from eBay. Here's the link to a National business that wholesales and retails AQRPs.

A local collision repair center may also give you a good price on labor if you let them make a little money on buying the AQRP bumper for you.

Enjoy!

+1
      09-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Sport - P1, P2

Quote:

Enjoy!
Dude, you are a great resource and a valuable member here on the forums
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
BigDeep1,
Thanks, but the balance is still way off...I have gained far more than I've given. I'm always eager to help, so I hope to catch up quickly!
      09-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
swalsh2333
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive4.0i

If it's the front your looking for you might want to check this out:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882602
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #8
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Xdrive

Quote:

Enjoy!
wow , you really have important information to me. Thank you so much . how much does it cost for the OEM you bought? you can PM me. I agree that It will reduce cost of labor if it fits easily, I will consider it

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalsh2333 View Post
If it's the front your looking for you might want to check this out:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882602
yes it does. unfortunately, it is alpina white
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
E.K.,
Nothing secret about the price I paid....happy to brag, and to bitch

My front M bumper was rescued from the parts department of BMW of South Atlanta...it was bought, painted black, and then the customer backed out. I found it on eBay for $300. It was perfect, except for the color. I asked a couple of local body shops, one my BMW body shop, the other a high-end car collision repair center about the color, and they both replied that a professionally applied coat of paint is a great primer. Both told me that they'd scuff the existing paint job, and paint it Space Grey for my car with a perfect match. So, if you are seeking an OEM M Sport bumper with the holes in it for PDC and side view cameras, then the link that swalsh2333 has given to you may be a great find if it perfect in structure (no cracks or creases). Any paint blemishes will be obliterated by the scuff and repaint. The holes can never be filled well enough to disappear. Don't settle for this bumper if you don't need those holes.

Shipping by Greyhound PackageExpress from SOCAL to Starbucks will cost about $75 including $300 insurance.

Begin Bitch Session:
My rear M bumper I found for $200 on eBay, and it was worth every penny...it was obviously salvaged from a bad rear-end collision and should never have been sold, but I was the fool who bought it. I've sent it back to the seller and the seller is refunding my money. In my other threads about this, you will see that after my first attempt I went new OEM on the rear bumper because M Sport rear bumpers for these cars are not commonly found on eBay unless they are taken off of crash-damaged cars
Bitch session complete.

For OEM (great choice! ) you will find a couple of options. Either you can shop for the parts piece by piece, or you can by a pre-packaged kit. When you take the base-model bumper off of the car, there are a dozen little things behind the bumper that will have to change, and some not-so little things like fog lights and bulbs (Hundreds of $$$ right there). In this case you are lucky because I've already compiled a list of parts that you will need for the conversion. You can see that some items from your current bumper can be re-used. If you buy a pre-packaged kit, you can preserve your original bumper's "whole-ness" and improve its resale value but you will never make enough on selling your bumper to pay for much of the new one...don't get your hopes up. I drove mine around San Diego for a couple of days and finally unloaded mine for $250. It never got a nibble on-line.

This link is to a pre-packaged kit:
http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...subcat1=189453

You can see that its cost to you will be about $1700.

Here's a little-known fact. The link above, for the pre-packaged kit, is really just the Internet sales department of a BMW dealership. EVERY dealership can meet or beat that price! If you print that page and take it to your dealership parts department, along with my list of the parts, they can build their own pre-packaged kit for you.

This has worked very well for me because paying local tax, but not shipping, is a wash, and any parts that need to be returned after the job, in case you do re-use any of your own, can be returned without having to pay for shipping. As an example, I ordered $200 worth of parts from the link above and didn't need them because I made a mistake in parts numbers, and it cost me $100 to ship the $200 of parts back! I had to return a couple of parts to my local parts department and it cost me nothing except a gallon of gas.

If you can find the right person at your parts department, the person who enjoys their job and the challenge that this presents, you will have a much easier time with the retrofit if you let the parts person build the kit and order the parts. I bought my pieces separately, thinking I'd be saving money, and in the end I realized that I'd have spent nothing more but saved many long hours of looking at parts number if I'd just gone to my local parts guy right away.

And, finally, if you can't find the right personality for this within your local parts department, let me know and my San Diego guy can help you out. He'd enjoy the challenge and I'd be happy to give to him some business.

See how easy this is?

09-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:

Enjoy!
Interesting. Never heard of AQRP, sounds like solid option if people don't want to spend the money on new OEM parts.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Indeed. There is only one other difference to highlight between AQRP and after-market. After-market designs are meant to strap on to the existing plugs and holes of all of the base-model parts left behind when the base bumper is removed. This will mean that the airflow and sight lines through an after-market M Sport bumper will not be the same as on an OEM base-model bumper. As an example, the base model and M Sport model have different brake ventilation ducts but the after-market M bumper will fit to the base model brake air ducts. Because the AQRP bumper is the same as an OEM, AQRP retrofit will still require that the same behind-the-bumper conversion pieces be purchased as would be needed for an OEM conversion. The nice part of this is the symmetry; the cost saved on the AQRP bumper will pay for the parts that will have to be changed behind it.

There really are a lot of variables here. I fear that all I've done is complicate E.K.'s plan.