2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Rear tyre problem - Advice please!

06-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #67
ChristopherBryan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5GT

5GT Tyre Wear

I purchased my 5GT new in April 2011 she is fitted with Goodyear Excellence on 20 inch rims. It is now June 2012, Just her into Haliwell Jones in North Wales for an oil service at 16k to discover that she requires 2 rear tyres. I didn't believe what I was being told & had no time to argue but signed the disclaimer and took the car away. On closer examination she is demonstrating the same wear pattern as the previous 3 pages so I appeal to those that have gone before me:
Which tyres should I replace these Goodyears?
Have you received satisfactory results from BMW UK?

I await your thoughts & comments!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #68
Stingray2
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d GT

Hi Christopher,
From all the reports I have seen I felt that the Pirelli's were they way forward, and that's what I had fitted. No regrets yet and I'm now 7500 miles further down the road. Reports I have seen suggest to expect approx 25000 miles on these, but who knows I may get more or less. Only time will tell!

If you look at my previous entries you will see the history of my case. First DO NOT BE FOBBED OFF, insist that the wear is not satisfactory. Refer the dealership to James Bell at BMW UK. He is the customer service manager. I have spoken to him recently and he is well aware that there are a number of unhappy customers with this issue and he should engage with the dealership to resolve the problem, in fact, the dealerships should already be aware to look out for this now. However, expect to have to jump through all the hoops set before you. This is assuming that you kept the tyre pressures correct ( which of course you did! you can argue this by the wear pattern i.e. different wear caused by under and over inflation). These will include a full KDS alignment check (BMW's fancy name for 4 wheel tracking check) expect to be presented with a bill approx £150, but get a quote first and an agreement that if this returns as OK then BMW pay. If this proves to be OK (don't let them tell you that the FRONT wheel alignment was out, this does not cause this wear issue on the REAR tyres) you will be asked to return the tyres to Goodyear for an inspection and report. IMPORTANT NOTE: You DO NOT have to do this via BMW, you can get your replacements from whomever you choose. They should return them to Goodyear free of charge (regardless of the outcome of the inspection). Check around for the cheapest price on the Pirelli's, surprisingly sometimes Kwik Fit do good deals ONLINE that take some beating.
Expect the inspection to take approx 8 weeks. If Goodyear agree that the wear is not normal they will refund you a percentage of the value in line with the amount of unused tread. There was no arguement in my case, from Goodyear and I know that at least one other forum member had the same result.
Document everything, and at the end (if you have a succesful outcome) complain to James Bell that you should not have to go through this rigmaroll, after all you bought the tyres with the car and so your contract is with BMW NOT Goodyear. It should be BMW's issue to resolve with their supplier.

It will take time, but stand your ground and you should be OK in the end.
Goodluck and keep us posted on your progress!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #69
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Pirelli P Zero stats from my 530d GT

Rear 275 35 R20 changed at 29,500 miles
Front 245 40 R20 still going strong at 30,000 miles
2019 G05 3.0d MSport in Artic Grey/ Black 2015 F15 3.0d MSport/ 2014 F15 3.0d MSport, Carbon Black with Ivory White/ Black interior. 2015 f23 2 series convertible in Glacier Silver / Black. 2010 F07 5GT SE Sapphire Black with Ivory White/black interior
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #70
smudger7
Rep
Drives: 535d GT

I have been following this thread as I drive 535d on Goodyear tyres fitted so have been checking wear pattern regularly. Car has 26,000 miles and still got 3.5mm tread to rears so loads left in them as I thought. Last night got air pressure warning whilst on motorway, I stopped and quickly checked and looked ok so carried on last 12 miles home driving slowly.
Once stopped found that inside edge of tyre had started to delaminate, as I had BMW tyre insurance phoned to report this morning and agreed to take to local tyre shop as I believed not safe to drive to dealer. Tyre shop found screw in other rear so changed both, however once wheel removed we found that both tyres had 3-3.5mm tread across their width but on inner shoulder worn down to steel bands! So now expect BMW Protect to refuse insurance claim and I have to fight. What amazes me and warn all GT drivers on Goodyear tyres you have to jack car up to find this issue you cannot check properly any other way.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #71
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 520D MSport

I've been away from this thread for a while but having read the posts, pleased to see some traction gained for other GT drivers with Goodyear issues. As an FYI, I've had Pirelli P zeros fitted for circa 13k miles since my initial Goodyear issues & they are wearing evenly front & rear.

I'm always happy to help share my experience & case details with any members experiencing problems but best to DM me.

Cheers. Rob.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #72
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
Evidently Goodyear - 0; Pirelli - 1 on the GT

Appears to be entirely a Goodyear Excellence tyre issue as I have run my GT on OEM Pirelli PZeroes with no issue at all and would highly recommend this high performance tyre having had it both on the F07 GT and F13 640d.

245/40/R20 99Y front
275/35/R20 102Y rear

On the GT, Replaced the OEMs at 20,000 miles with 3 mm tread, slightly more wear on the outside edge but this is normal on BMW suspension geometry, with a lot of low speed driving, cornering, parking. While 1.6 mm is legal limit, anywhere lower than 3 mm is a compromise on stopping distances, especially in the wet and coming winter, and road feel and noise.

Got an outstanding deal on Pirelli PZeroes, each at £299/front £318/rear, fully fitted and balanced at Kenilworth Tyre Service in Warwickshire.

Threads like these are very useful to galvanise opinion and evidence so that BMW can deal with the issue. I think the issues with CS are frustrating but must be expected as they do not have the discretion or authority to settle claims, are often unaware of developing issues without a formal brief, and let's face it - a LOT of BMW owners have begun to 'try it on' as costs of servicing and maintaining cars begins to pinch in these times. Wish you all luck and please keep these and other service issues coming for other owners.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #73
Spence
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 535D Gran Turismo

Hi everyone I have just registered. Unfortunately I am struck by the tyre wear issue on my GT 535D, discovered it today as a strip of rubber and canvas was flapping into the wheel arch as it peeled away. Yes I'm on Goodyear Excellence RFT's and I was horrified by the possible consequences of this occurrence.

Rob I would like your case information and would PM you but need more posts. So forgive me if I post this again and again but I really would like to get the information asap as I find it unbelievable that BMW are aware of this repeated problem but continue to put owners and their passengers at risk.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #74
Spence
England
Rep

Further to my message above my car was registered in April 2011 and has just done 17,200 miles. As with other cases the tyres still have good tread left apart from that inner section.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #75
Spence
England
Rep

What really makes me go cold is that my wife drove some 130 miles in the car yesterday a good deal of which was on motorway. If the tyres had deflated whilst on that journey I doubt she'd be here now. They may be run flats but with the 'delamination' effect it seems debatable whether they would have maintained the structural integrity to perform as RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #76
Spence
England
Rep

Hopefully this post will allow me to send a PM to Rob in due course. I would, however be grateful for any direct contact details to use for BMW or Goodyear about this issue. If I have missed any such information in previous posts I apologise and will read them at more length but currently I'm still seething that this known problem has not been addressed. My car was serviced just 3 weeks ago, surely the least BMW could have done was to issue a service direction to check the tyres. It's just a total disregard of their responsibilities.

Thank you for bearing with me on this.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #77
Spence
England
Rep

I have just read that I may need five posts so this is five. Apologies again.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #78
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence
Hopefully this post will allow me to send a PM to Rob in due course. I would, however be grateful for any direct contact details to use for BMW or Goodyear about this issue. If I have missed any such information in previous posts I apologise and will read them at more length but currently I'm still seething that this known problem has not been addressed. My car was serviced just 3 weeks ago, surely the least BMW could have done was to issue a service direction to check the tyres. It's just a total disregard of their responsibilities.

Thank you for bearing with me on this.
Hi Spence. Did you get my PM? Rob
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 04:43 AM   #79
Spence
England
Rep

Yes, thanks Rob. I've sent a PM reply.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #80
mshucksmith
Registered
Rep
Drives: 5 Series 530d GT Executive

GT Rear Tyre Wear

I have just repllaced all four tyres on my 530D Executive. The rears are the second replacement and the front are the first, all on 20" rims.
I ripped out the first set of rears after 16k miles, inside shoulders of both down to the wires and further on one, as the air was escaping. BMW initally asked me to pay for an alignment check and the full price of the tyres. I eventully got the cost of the alignment back and a contribution from BMW and Goodyear for the tyres. Initially was told that this was unusual but the internet proved different.
The second set of rears were Pirelli ( as advised by BMW) and I got 20K out of them before they supposedly punctured. This was found by BMW when I had the car transported in after one of the fronts had delaminated with lots of bead lashing the wheel arch liner. The fronts had 3/4mm of tread on them but were falling to bits. I wasn't too upset however as by then they had done 60K miles.
Luckily again when the fronts fell to bits I wasn't travelling too fast but was in lane 3 of the M62 so could have been interesting.
There is a whole lot more to this than BMW are admitting to as the states no doubt will testify to.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #81
GTSpenny
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530 GT SE

Hi all.
I'm a newbie here to Bimmer & came across this thread during my search of unreasonable tyre wear on the inner edge of my 04/2010 530 GT with 20" rims.
I've now done approx 24k miles.
It all started back in August 2012 when i had a high speed blowout in 3rd lane M61 which was not a pleasant experience that I would not want to experience again or subject anyone else to, never mind wifey or when the cars full of kids.
I regularly checked tyre pressures (once a month anyway) and never had to top up more than a minimal amount and mostly nothing at all.
Tyres always looked superb across the tread and I was we'll chuffed that the Goodyear excellence run flats were infact nothing but excellent on tyre wear.
Until the above happened that was, the inner edge that was well hidden!
Pulled up on hard sholder & with nothing obvious at that stage, Hobbled off motorway to a known garage approx 1 mile away where I duly purchased a new Goodyear Excellence.
Tyre tech showed me the tyre and I was absolutely gob smacked at the state of the inner edge worn wight down to the steel thread and through at one point with the sidewall detached from the tread surface about 100mm of the tyres circumference.
The other rear tyre was highlighted as almost being in the same condition.
The tyre tech said there was a major problem with the cars camber.
I was happy to hobble home on that one in order to arrange inspection by BMW.
Long story short, bmw took car on my insistence, inspected remaining tyre and photo I presented or the one just replaced.
Wheel alignment performed (free) and printed results presented to me as we'll within BMW tolerances.
I was told that it was a tyre pressure issue and was duly charged for the new tyre so that's just short of £800 for the two.
Checked tyre pressures every two weeks now and not added any air since either of the tyres have been replaces so 10/10 for sealing the tyres!
1st MOT last week at my local non BMW garage where I've been going for years.
Mechanic just finishing when I went to collect and it was still on the ramp.
I was duly invited to inspect the uneven tyre ware on the rear tyres inner edge- needless to say I was pretty pi553d to see this.
Yes that's about 8 months an 3k miles since my blowout and 2 replacements.
If I replace now that's curry takeaway short of £1600 in less than 12 months - oooouch.
Hence my research and request for your assistance in this matter before I launch my case against BMW.

Rob you clearly have some information that may assist in this matter together with the commentaries evidenced in this forum alone.
Anyone's update experiences and most recent forms of resolution with BMW would be very much appreciated in order for me to evidence this to BMW as another case.
I have absolutely no intention of taking this up directly with Goodyear as I believe the book stops with BMW for their supply of goods not fit for purpose.
Changing to Pirelli seems to be a possible solution but I'm damned if that will be at my cost with a brush off from BMW on the grounds of my deficiency to maintain correct tyre pressures.
Thanks for reading this and in anticipation of forum members assistance in resolving this matter further.
Mart
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #82
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

@GTSpenny. DM sent to you. BMW should have quite a sizeable file relating to this issue given that the GT has been in circulation for quite some time now. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #83
UR-IT
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: 530GT

Hi all,

i faced the same problem, the guy who was to change the tieres got a headattack.

I think my luck was, that i never drive fast ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #84
Philip13579
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black 530d GT

Same old, Same old.

I too have suffered this problem.

Worn inside edges leading to blow outs, Goodyears of course.

BMW Sytner High Wycombe said the same thing, "tyre pressures wrong, sporty setup etc...."

I showed him the list of recorded pressures I had for every 2 weeks (OCD on my part ) and he suggested an alignment check. All was good, they gave that to me for free but charged for the 2 rear Goodyear replacements. Sent the old tyres off to Goodyear who replied to me saying they couldn't find a fault.

That was late last year but they weren't used over the winter as I have winter tyres. So, since the Spring and after only 4 to 5 thousand miles the inner edges are again wearing.

I think I will print out this thread and ask them to replace the rears with Pirellis.

Has anyone with 19" wheels suffered the same problem?

Last edited by Philip13579; 09-02-2013 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 01:31 AM   #85
EmilioDeLuxe
Registered
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d GT 01.2010

problem with tires in Bmw 530 gt

Hi guys,

I'm from Poland. And I also have the same issue with the tires in my Gt. And it is no matter of i have the 20' wheels goodyear exellence for sommer or 19' in the winter from pirelli shotozero. Could anyone send me the detalils how to solve the problem? I've cheecked the whole suspension elements in two diffrent workshops and everythings seems to be allright. The geometry was also set in the autorised service of Bmw. But still is the same..

Emil
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #86
Mike Pond
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d GT

Excessive rear tyre wear on my 2014 520d GT

As with those before, I was shocked that after 11 months and just 13k miles, both my rear Goodyear Excellence tyres on 20" rims all but disintegrated. Fortunately I was only doing about 40mph on an A road when part of the inside wall of the passenger side rear tyre came away and started thrashing the wheel arch causing me to pull over and examine the damage. This was only visible by getting under the back of the car, not pleasant at the side of the road but wasn't going to drive on until I knew what was making the terrible noise. I removed the rubber "whip" from the tyre and limped to my BMW dealership.
I was greeted with the same response that those before had encountered and was told that I hadn't checked my tyre pressures enough and the wear was normal. This was without even looking at the car !! I was then told it would be £600 for 2 new Goodyear tyres that weren't in stock and to come back the following day when they would be fitted.
Slightly shell shocked I walked back to work and checked if any other 5 series GT drivers had experienced the same. How glad I am that I checked!!! Thanks to the evidence gained from this site I was able ask the dealership to change the order to Pirelli P Zeros and negotiate a half charge ( I had done 13K miles on the tyres already, about half what I would have expected them to have done). My concern is that after 5 years of this being discussed on this forum and BMW obviously admitting on occasions that the Goodyears are not fit for purpose on the 5 GT, why they are still being fitted to new cars and the dealerships oblivious to the problem??
Thank you to all those that have posted before in helping me resolve this and not spending silly money on Geometry, suspension and tracking checks.
I will be contacting two other 5 GT owners that I have seen locally to warn them of the possible safety risk they face.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #87
markhodges1975
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d GT

Hi, another one here suffering the same fate!! Only had car 11 months, got her at 5 year old with under 11000 miles on her and she came with a new set of boots!!! Now in for a service and mot and failed on two "to the cords on the inner shoulder" tyres at the rear. and guess what theyre goodyear excellence on 20" rims. I have asked for Pirellis fitting but have already logged my dismay at both BMW and Goodyear. Has anyone had any success in getting back their money from goodyear? clearly these tyres are not fit for purpose!!! Has anyone tried trading standards?
Appreciate 0