2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535d vs A6 TDI

10-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #23
mdifanis
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d w/Sport Package

I purchased an A6 TDI last weekend after having had the chance to test drive a 535d and an A6 TDI within a few days of one another. The Audi won hands down. This was due in part--but only in part--to the fact that I was able to locate (and ultimately buy) an A6 TDI with S-Line sport trim, sport suspension, and gorgeous 20" wheels. By contrast, I the 535d was optioned to within a few dollars of the same price, but with luxury--not sport--features. The A6 trunk shape is also better for my purposes, having a couple more inches of depth from front to back, which means the A6 will swallow a real estate yard sign (and I sell real estate), whereas the 535 won't.

Steering is a little numb on both, but definitely better on the Audi--at least the one that I purchased with sport options.

Audi seats are great, but still not quite as snugly bolstered as the BMW sport package seats in my 335d.

Also, as a point of reference, I also own a 2009 BMW 335d with sport package. That vehicle is 90% as much fun to drive as some truly exotic European sports cars I have had the chance to drive, and neither the subsequent 3 Series or the current 5 Series comes anywhere close to being as good a driving experience. In 2009, the 335d was the most fuel efficient vehicle BMW had ever imported to the United States, yet my 2014 A6 TDI is bigger, heavier, has all-wheel drive, is slightly quicker, **AND** gets noticeably better fuel economy. Averaging north of 30 MPG in mixed driving is easily achieved, and FAST highway driving--before the engine is fully broken in--seems to net me 36 to 38 mpg.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #24
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Having owned an E60, an A6 and having a new F10 on order (all 2.0 turbo diseasels) I'll offer my view.

The A6 and especially the recent incarnations are way ahead of the E60 of the same period - FACT. I remember when I went from my E60 to the A6, it really was a step up in terms of ride, interior quality etc (I went from an SE to a S-line). I then changed brands to a new RRSport.

Now, deciding to get back into a saloon (as I don't need the 4x4 staff and with more mileage on the horizon, the RRS makes for some unpleasent reading on fuel bills, not to mention running costs)........ anyway, I looked seriously at an A6 first off, then the F10. I even drove them with only two hours apart. For me, the F10 was streets ahead of the A6, (S-line v MSport).

The interior feels a nicer place to be in my opinion and the car definitely feels better on the road, more nimble perhaps. The A6 felt like I had a massive car to manouver, whereas the F10 seems to feels smaller to drive than it's actual size.

In short, F10 all the way .....which is what I did
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #25
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
Interesting, Audis are less expensive here in Europe as well. Their second hand value is clearly lower in % than BMW so its really great for the second hand buyer.
Usually MB and Audi have large campains where they give away large rebates on new cars so that the second hand market dies.
      10-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #26
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Really? The Audi engine more economical than the BMW engine? I had a 2012 A4 2.0 TDI Quattro Avant with the 177 bhp engine and it was worse on fuel than my current 2010 335d.

I admit, I am a fan of Audi's. And I very nearly bought another Audi in A6 guise this week, but I ended up going for the 530d instead. A LOT nicer interior, the nav is much better implemented. I will say I do like the Nav screen on the A6, the way it can be hidden and such, and I am NOT a fan of these screens usually, the F30 does just look cheap. But it (the Audi's screen) looks substantially dated compared with the 5 series, and as stated before, it will inevitably break at some point down the line.

Given the choice between the Audi 3 litre and the BMW 3 litre, my experience is always that the BMW is better for fuel. And marginally better for power.

I do prefer the look of the A6, outside as well as inside, but the feel when sitting in the 5 series is better. More 2013, and plusher.

Driving wise, they are both a bit dull to me, but that's comparing to my 335d before, which was an excellent car all round, just too small for a family estate. And my V8 S4 before that, but then that was a sportier car anyway.

My money would, and did, go on the BMW. But the Audi was also nice, and would have been cheaper (here in the UK, so a real 335d), but the BMW was the better overall package for me.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #27
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
As a former 335D M sport owner i can see better fuel economy form both A6 and 535D but I doubt A6 is faster than 335D JMO
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #28
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

Congrats!!! Will be interested on how you enjoy your tdi and mpg when you put some more miles on it. I have been looking at the A6 TDI and 535d too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdifanis View Post
I purchased an A6 TDI last weekend after having had the chance to test drive a 535d and an A6 TDI within a few days of one another. The Audi won hands down. This was due in part--but only in part--to the fact that I was able to locate (and ultimately buy) an A6 TDI with S-Line sport trim, sport suspension, and gorgeous 20" wheels. By contrast, I the 535d was optioned to within a few dollars of the same price, but with luxury--not sport--features. The A6 trunk shape is also better for my purposes, having a couple more inches of depth from front to back, which means the A6 will swallow a real estate yard sign (and I sell real estate), whereas the 535 won't.

Steering is a little numb on both, but definitely better on the Audi--at least the one that I purchased with sport options.

Audi seats are great, but still not quite as snugly bolstered as the BMW sport package seats in my 335d.

Also, as a point of reference, I also own a 2009 BMW 335d with sport package. That vehicle is 90% as much fun to drive as some truly exotic European sports cars I have had the chance to drive, and neither the subsequent 3 Series or the current 5 Series comes anywhere close to being as good a driving experience. In 2009, the 335d was the most fuel efficient vehicle BMW had ever imported to the United States, yet my 2014 A6 TDI is bigger, heavier, has all-wheel drive, is slightly quicker, **AND** gets noticeably better fuel economy. Averaging north of 30 MPG in mixed driving is easily achieved, and FAST highway driving--before the engine is fully broken in--seems to net me 36 to 38 mpg.
Appreciate 0