2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Insight From 535i Owners That Don't Have Sport Package

10-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
Bmoney2K4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i

Insight From 535i Owners That Don't Have Sport Package

What do you guys who own or lease a 535i without the sport package feel about the steering and handling of our cars? On a scale of 1-10, how do you rate the handling and steering of your cars?

The only reason I'm asking is because I have a 535i without the sports package and am somewhat undecided if the handling and steering still feels like a BMW. Most of the 535is I see do have sports package so I want to know your opinions on the capabilities of our cars because sometimes I feel like the car is somewhat glued to the road and sometimes am not to sure of its capabilities especially when I make left turns or drive on windy roads. My experience is when steering I have to hold on tight the the steering wheel and that sometimes produces a short strain on my shoulder. I'm just checking to determine other people's perceptions on the so called "steering issues" this forum discusses.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
I wanted to get the sport package and cosmetics but when I was shopping for my used car, I couldn't afford the used cars with M Sport, I also do not like the shift paddles on the steering wheel, so I bought a fairly basic used car and...

For the Sport package feel, without the sport package cost, I replaced the OEM springs with Eibach (recently switched to ACS) and replaced the original gear selector switch with the SAT gear selector switch and coded the vehicle to enable SAT functionality.
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878002

These give the car a sportier ride and the sport automatic transmission behavior. The steering and cornering with the after-market springs is a fabulous improvement.

For looks only, because I didn't like the front or rear bumper, I replaced the OEM original non sport parts with OEM Sport. I did not do this to try to make anyone think that my car is an M Sport, I just really like the M trim looks more than I do the basic.

Rear:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848376
Front:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806000

If I added up all of the cost of these things I did, I have to admit I probably spent as much as if I'd purchased the M Package, but with my incremental updates I spread the cost out over a year. Now it seems that used 2011 with M Sport are common, so the cost differential is much lower now than when I was shopping.
      10-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoney2K4 View Post
What do you guys who own or lease a 535i without the sport package feel about the steering and handling of our cars? On a scale of 1-10, how do you rate the handling and steering of your cars?

The only reason I'm asking is because I have a 535i without the sports package and am somewhat undecided if the handling and steering still feels like a BMW. Most of the 535is I see do have sports package so I want to know your opinions on the capabilities of our cars because sometimes I feel like the car is somewhat glued to the road and sometimes am not to sure of its capabilities especially when I make left turns or drive on windy roads. My experience is when steering I have to hold on tight the the steering wheel and that sometimes produces a short strain on my shoulder. I'm just checking to determine other people's perceptions on the so called "steering issues" this forum discusses.
I think the cars steer fine (not great), but I recently drove a 528 X Drive with the basic suspension and found the handling to be quite pedestrian. I haven't driven a 535 Xdrive recently but am in the market for one with M Sport for crisper handling and a sportier look. Also, the steering wheel - strange as it sounds - makes all the difference in the world and the skinny wheel on the non M Sport model (in Canada) turns me off. Personal preference on that issue though.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
I think the cars steer fine (not great), but I recently drove a 528 X Drive with the basic suspension and found the handling to be quite pedestrian. I haven't driven a 535 Xdrive recently but am in the market for one with M Sport for crisper handling and a sportier look. Also, the steering wheel - strange as it sounds - makes all the difference in the world and the skinny wheel on the non M Sport model (in Canada) turns me off. Personal preference on that issue though.
+1 on the steering wheel...if the M Sport airbag were not so darn expensive...
      10-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Texaz3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z3MC Z4MC E36M E46M E93M E39M

Even though my car does have sport package, I drove plenty of loaners without it. I firmly believe that BMW without a sport pack turns into a Mercedes. And that is not bashing the car by any means, they are still fantastic cars, but they just don't drive/handle any better than a Toyota Camry. But I guess this is why it is an option, some like it, some don't.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Centralcoastgolf
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoney2K4 View Post

None of the 2014 535i M Sport packages have the M Sport suspension. BMW screwed up. They changed it after the fact so all of the 2014 535i's built after September 1st have the M suspension.
Appreciate 0