2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner

02-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #23
maxg13
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Drake View Post
Dinan has stage 1 tuning for 535 as well.

http://www.dinancars.com/product/d44...ries&mid=1142/
Anyone got this for their 535?? Just wanted to know if the results were the same as the 528.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #24
moosebeamer
Rep
Drives: 2012 528xi msport+dinan n20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Drake View Post
Any further updates? Any adverse effects that you've noticed? So, has MPG stayed the same or improve/worsen? I am strongly considering this.
I've been having a blast with the tune now for nearly 4 months. MPG hasn't changed really from my last post. Of course the brutal cold winter and heavy snow haven't helped. Worst fun MPG run averaged like 24 and that was with a Thule ski box on top. I can certainly live with that.

When I consider this is a 2 ton xdrive vehicle the results are amazing, especially since I've been driving turbo 4's for 25 years in various other vehicles.

Is it worth it ? The fun factor is totally there ... Its a great amount of ... civilized boost. I needed peace of mind with respect to the cost and the warranty.

Barry
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2015, 02:07 AM   #25
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosebeamer View Post
I've been having a blast with the tune now for nearly 4 months. MPG hasn't changed really from my last post. Of course the brutal cold winter and heavy snow haven't helped. Worst fun MPG run averaged like 24 and that was with a Thule ski box on top. I can certainly live with that.

When I consider this is a 2 ton xdrive vehicle the results are amazing, especially since I've been driving turbo 4's for 25 years in various other vehicles.

Is it worth it ? The fun factor is totally there ... Its a great amount of ... civilized boost. I needed peace of mind with respect to the cost and the warranty.

Barry

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it's worth it. I'm likely going to get this tune as well. The warranty and peace of mind is definitely worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 11:48 PM   #26
tres_Culebras
Homegrown in CA!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 528i

Garage List
2011 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Bump

Has anyone had any comfirmation of CA smog issues resolved?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 11:57 PM   #27
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres_Culebras View Post
Bump

Has anyone had any comfirmation of CA smog issues resolved?
DINANTRONICS for the 5 series vehicles are CARB legal / 50 state emissions legal as of January of this year.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #28
tstafford
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

FYI - I have a '13 535i and the Dinantronics Tuner is being done on the car tomorrow.

It's been hard to get much information on how people have enjoyed the tune. I'll try to post my experiences over the next couple of weeks.

My baseline assessment of the 535 is that it's right on the edge of being unacceptably slow. In retrospect I should have bought a 550 but I was committed to staying within a budget I'd set. In total, I love the car - it has a great mix of comfort and performance, but it's just a bit sluggish IMO. My hope is that this tweak will put just enough extra pop in it to make it a tad more fun to drive until the next gen of 5s hit the market.

Maybe my posts will help others trying to decide if $2K is worth it. I've had to do it mostly as a leap of faith. I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives, but I wanted the peace of mind that comes from having the dealer handle the process/install/warranty. I wouldn't have been happy otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #29
tstafford
Private
Rep

As promised, I thought I'd give my initial impressions of the Stage 1 Dinan Performance Tuner on my 535i. It was installed on Tuesday and I've put just over 100 miles on the car since then.

Basically the car does what the power graphs from Dinan say it will - it's somewhat faster at most levels in the power band but not crazy fast. It has a noticeable "pop" in power early on during solid acceleration that is very usable in traffic. The general experience is underwhelming and very controlled - much like the 535 itself. Example: My wife, who isn't aware that anything has been done to the car, borrowed it after the install and didn't comment on it seeming different.

There's no doubt that I enjoy the extra power, but frankly it's a very, very expensive modification for what you get. The car is a nice luxury sedan and now it's a bit faster. That's kind of all I can say. If you have an extra $2500 sitting around, then go for it. If that sounds like a lot of money then I wouldn't do it. Now that it's done I'm pleased, but marginally so.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #30
twinPWRbimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Comp. Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstafford View Post
As promised, I thought I'd give my initial impressions of the Stage 1 Dinan Performance Tuner on my 535i. It was installed on Tuesday and I've put just over 100 miles on the car since then.

Basically the car does what the power graphs from Dinan say it will - it's somewhat faster at most levels in the power band but not crazy fast. It has a noticeable "pop" in power early on during solid acceleration that is very usable in traffic. The general experience is underwhelming and very controlled - much like the 535 itself. Example: My wife, who isn't aware that anything has been done to the car, borrowed it after the install and didn't comment on it seeming different.

There's no doubt that I enjoy the extra power, but frankly it's a very, very expensive modification for what you get. The car is a nice luxury sedan and now it's a bit faster. That's kind of all I can say. If you have an extra $2500 sitting around, then go for it. If that sounds like a lot of money then I wouldn't do it. Now that it's done I'm pleased, but marginally so.
Bump.

Can anyone else share their experience with the Dinan S1 tune for the N55 535i? I too am looking into 'piece of mind' and don't mind spending extra $ for the engineering of a product.

I've reviewed the dyno numbers and can probably see why tstafford's wife couldn't tell the difference. Assuming she kept it at around ~3k rpm's, you'll only see a marginal difference. 5k rpm appears to be the sweet spot. Also, I'm reading after time with tunes, it just gets better.

I like the fact it is now CARB legal in CA, the warranty, and how the dealership won't hassle me when I bring my car in.

So... experience?
Any changes in sound of the car?
Issues down the road? transmission, etc.?
Recommend or not?

Also, maybe for Dinan_Engineering , any more future parts love for the N55 535i? intake? exhaust, etc?
CURRENT: 2016 M3 Competition Package | Mineral White/Full SO | Executive Package | Driver Assist+ | Lighting Package | Parking Assist | Enhanced B/T | Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps | Stainless Steel Pedals | XPEL Ultimate
PAST: '13 BMW 535i, '13 Lexus RX350, '08 Lexus IS250, '06 Lexus IS350, '03 Lexus IS300, '99 Civic Si
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #31
tstafford
Private
Rep

FWIW - I'd say it's true that it gets faster with time. Maybe it's all in my head but it does seem faster now and feels rather lively. I've warmed up to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #32
twinPWRbimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
FWIW - I'd say it's true that it gets faster with time. Maybe it's all in my head but it does seem faster now and feels rather lively. I've warmed up to it.
Thanks tstafford care to do another review? I'm curious about your thoughts now that several months have passed. I'm sure the community would love to hear your post review.
CURRENT: 2016 M3 Competition Package | Mineral White/Full SO | Executive Package | Driver Assist+ | Lighting Package | Parking Assist | Enhanced B/T | Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps | Stainless Steel Pedals | XPEL Ultimate
PAST: '13 BMW 535i, '13 Lexus RX350, '08 Lexus IS250, '06 Lexus IS350, '03 Lexus IS300, '99 Civic Si
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #33
tstafford
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinPWRbimmer View Post
Thanks tstafford care to do another review? I'm curious about your thoughts now that several months have passed. I'm sure the community would love to hear your post review.
I'm happy to answer any specific questions that people have. My quick opinion is:
- If you have a 535i and find the power to be lacking then this upgrade will help you
- If you are expecting it to really scream it will disappoint
- It provides nice extra passing power when you want it
- It improves the fun factor a worthy amount and justifies the expense for me
- So far there have been no issues with the mod - no CELs or anything like that

Overall it's not a slam dunk so I can't unconditionally advocate it. If money isn't a big issue it's certainly a good move. If you have really high expectations or you're stretching on the purchase, I think you'll be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 11:37 PM   #34
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Sounds like some good reviews!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 12:38 AM   #35
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:

Also, maybe for Dinan_Engineering , any more future parts love for the N55 535i? intake? exhaust, etc?
Exhaust should be out by the early fall last I heard. Not exactly sure why the long delay to be honest. An intake is in the "see if its viable" stage of development. So it is being looked at but I couldn't say for sure if that is a definite product of the future. Those are the only 2 items that I have heard any inkling about for the 535i unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #36
twinPWRbimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Exhaust should be out by the early fall last I heard. Not exactly sure why the long delay to be honest. An intake is in the "see if its viable" stage of development. So it is being looked at but I couldn't say for sure if that is a definite product of the future. Those are the only 2 items that I have heard any inkling about for the 535i unfortunately.
Thanks for the info. Would love some sound for the 535i w/o it sounding like a racecar.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 08:34 PM   #37
twinPWRbimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Anyone know if the Turbo is louder with the increase in boost w/ the Dinan tune? I'm running a BMS intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #38
tstafford
Private
Rep

Quote:
Anyone know if the Turbo is louder with the increase in boost w/ the Dinan tune? I'm running a BMS intake.
I've not noticed any change in the sound of the car (running stock intake). If I didn't mention this before - one nice thing about the Dinan Stage One is that the car seems in all ways identical to the stock car except it is simply faster at nearly all points in time in the power curve. I suspect this was how it was intended by Dinan and they did a nice job.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #39
twinPWRbimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've not noticed any change in the sound of the car (running stock intake). If I didn't mention this before - one nice thing about the Dinan Stage One is that the car seems in all ways identical to the stock car except it is simply faster at nearly all points in time in the power curve. I suspect this was how it was intended by Dinan and they did a nice job.
Thanks again. I'm having mine installed tomorrow. Hoping for the best!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #40
twinPWRbimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Quick update:

Dinan stage 1 installed by a BMW dealer. With the BMS intake, turbo spool is much louder, I'm assuming because of more boost. The diverter valve (blow off valve) is more predictable and much louder when letting off the throttle. No other noticeable difference in sound, I'm running stock exhaust.

Butt dyno and Ears approve! But as tstafford mentioned, don't expect a night and day difference. Maybe I need to drive a little more so the ecu can learn... But I'm happy with it. Pricey, but you're paying for Engineering, Factory matched warranty, smog friendly for CA, and piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 02:11 PM   #41
IlanLCD
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i 2016

Reviving the post a few years later.

I have installed DINANTRONICS PERFORMANCE TUNER STAGE 1 on my F11 528i 2016

First impression,
Installing it was really easy, well explained. finding a place for the box was the most difficult thing.

The first issue - it will not work with Bluetooth 5.0, so I can't use my new Samsung phone. I have an old android tablet with Bluetooth 4.1 and it works.

The Dinantronics app is a POS, wasn't updated from 2015, can't change modes, I was only able to select bypass and now I can't select S1 again. So I don't know if the tuner is set to S1 or not. Terrible interface and very limited functionality.

The first impression is that in the car's sports mode there is much more power.

The unit is listed for $1418.95, I got a used one for much less.
Seems that the sports performance tuner for $220 is a much better buy, with a much better app.

I have contacted Dinan's support and waiting for a resolution. Seems they need to get their act together.
Appreciate 0