2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Coilovers

01-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Coilovers

Hi all.. looking to explore some coilover options for our chassis. as we all may already know, the F platform was the first step toward chasing sales figures and customers who prioritize comfort over road feel and choose not to attack every corner as fast as possible. while the stock coils feel nicely tuned on the highway, there is too much "float" and body roll around corners.

those of you with coilovers, how is the ride compared to stock? was the sportiness we have come to expect from BMW regained with the installation of coils? which brand would you say is best for this chassis? how does it ride on the highway compared to OEM? I am considering to either install coilovers or simply install urethane bushings to help combat some of the roll around corners. I was thinking about lowering my ride with some springs in order to keep the factory damping, but if there are coils out there that can still maintain a comfortable ride, I dont think it is necessary.

any opinions, reviews, ideas are much appreciated.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

there's quite a few of us rolling on KW coilovers which is real big in the BMW world. never heard one complaint about KW's and there's 3 versions you can choose from. i just realized if your XI i believe the KWV3 is the only version available. also, if you have EDC you need the module or you can have it coded. you could also go with CKS coilovers as another option. there's also cheaper options out there like Megan, STS, BC Racing, ect...what's great about coilovers is you can set the height to whatever you think looks good. some of us drop it like it's hot...some drop it as much as what springs can do...it's up to you as far as the ride quality it's firm. not floaty compared to my stock suspension. i think combined with my wider tires 255's and 295's in the rear my car hugs the ground especially around corners and what not. upgrade swaybars and i've read handling improves even more. there's quite a bit of threads on this
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
there's quite a few of us rolling on KW coilovers which is real big in the BMW world. never heard one complaint about KW's and there's 3 versions you can choose from. i just realized if your XI i believe the KWV3 is the only version available. also, if you have EDC you need the module or you can have it coded. you could also go with CKS coilovers as another option. there's also cheaper options out there like Megan, STS, BC Racing, ect...what's great about coilovers is you can set the height to whatever you think looks good. some of us drop it like it's hot...some drop it as much as what springs can do...it's up to you as far as the ride quality it's firm. not floaty compared to my stock suspension. i think combined with my wider tires 255's and 295's in the rear my car hugs the ground especially around corners and what not. upgrade swaybars and i've read handling improves even more. there's quite a bit of threads on this
my car is RWD and I do not have the EDC.

what is the difference between V1 and 2? what about bilstein? i have heard good things from those as well.

My only real problem is toronto roads.. on stock suspension with 55 sidewall rubber, the ride is already harsh on alot of stretches of pavement here. I do not know if i should get coils or not..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

mine is RWD too so i did not have to get the EDC module or have it coded. V1 is already engineered/designed for a overall no adjustments needed coilover whereas the V2/V3 have damper controls. i've recently been hearing about the Bilstein's but yet heard anyone here use them or install them yet? you can still run coilovers on stock wheels.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 04:39 PM   #5
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
mine is RWD too so i did not have to get the EDC module or have it coded. V1 is already engineered/designed for a overall no adjustments needed coilover whereas the V2/V3 have damper controls. i've recently been hearing about the Bilstein's but yet heard anyone here use them or install them yet? you can still run coilovers on stock wheels.
I'm sure you can, it just not going to look that good

the 17 inch stockies have been tranferred to winter tire duty. will be purchasing summer rims for the next season.

if the ride is already firm with stock suspension, perhaps coilovers will not be the best idea? what about a bushing upgrade and some anti roll bars?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #6
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

i have the KW V2s and I love them. the ability to adjust the height is key, and with a wife and kid, dialing the dampers to something comfortable was a must.
      01-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post

if the ride is already firm with stock suspension, perhaps coilovers will not be the best idea?
no...the ride was firm after the coilovers. kinda the point why guys want to upgrade their suspension because some feel they're too soft? they want a firmer ride with better handling characteristics while being planted into the corners at higher speeds. too much body roll than usually guys will upgrade their sway bars to either M5, Eibach and i think there's a couple of other combos guys have done. so far i have not needed to upgrade my sways.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #8
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
no...the ride was firm after the coilovers. kinda the point why guys want to upgrade their suspension because some feel they're too soft? they want a firmer ride with better handling characteristics while being planted into the corners at higher speeds. too much body roll than usually guys will upgrade their sway bars to either M5, Eibach and i think there's a couple of other combos guys have done. so far i have not needed to upgrade my sways.
by firm i mean because of my awful roads. its not actually a firmly suspended car by any means. it feels firm over toronto roads because theyre SO BAD.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #9
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550

CKS Suspension!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 12:29 AM   #10
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

beauty of coilovers... I just raised the front half an inch to avoid scraping. love that this can be done at any time.

Top pic is raised.
Attached Images

01-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #11
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arko528 View Post
CKS Suspension!
god i love that M sport side skirt
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 03:09 PM   #12
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i MSport

I don't feel a need to modify the suspension in my M-Sport. Quick lane shifts at 80mph feel like the car is on rails as it is.
Appreciate 0