2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Tpms question

01-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

Tpms question

Found a cheap set of winter tires that doesn't have tpms sensors. Plan on purchasing some OEM huf sensors for it instead of taking off my original set. Was wondering what will happen if I run them without tpms sensors. Will I get the annoying low tires pressure light and gong? When I install the sensors, will I have to take it to BMW or a special tire shop to program them into the system? I'm asking because one of the tpms sensor went out in my wife's lexus and I purchased an OEM lexus replacement off amazon and took it to a tire shop to have them install and the light was still on afterwards. They used their syncing machine but it wouldn't work. Had to take it to lexus to program it for a arm and a leg.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Without the sensors, you will get the annoying alarms. These can be coded off if you're interested in doing so. As far as syncing them, nothing special is needed. Just install the new tires, and reset the TPMS from the I Drive. The only bit of warning I would give, make sure you get the correct sensors. I believe early F10s had one frequency, then they changed in Dec 2010 during the 2011 model.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

Hey John. Thanks for the info again. Well I'm going to pass on those winter set. But thanks again for the info on the wheel vibration in the other post. Finally found another shop today about 30 minutes away that was willing to do road force balancing and now the car is running without vibrations. Runs smoother, quieter and it seems like I have better traction now. It took awhile but it was well worth the wait. I asked them to try to get it under 10lbs and they said they'll do their best. Forgot to ask the figures but pretty sure it's close to it or even lower. Thanks for everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

I just swapped my factory TPMS from my OEM wheels to my aftermarket wheels. I'm getting intermittent TPMS failure warnings and by intermittent I mean random. I used a very reputable wheel shop who's done many high end vehicles to include BMWs and they like I am at a loss. It looks like I'm forced to go to the stealer to get this sorted.
      01-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
thebmwjunkiee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu550 View Post
I just swapped my factory TPMS from my OEM wheels to my aftermarket wheels. I'm getting intermittent TPMS failure warnings and by intermittent I mean random. I used a very reputable wheel shop who's done many high end vehicles to include BMWs and they like I am at a loss. It looks like I'm forced to go to the stealer to get this sorted.

Damn, I'm throwing on some aftermarket wheels next week and was hoping I could just swap the OEM tpms. We shall see, if not tirerack will be getting more of my christmas money!

2016 535d M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha
Past: '14 328, '08 335, '04 525, '91 M5, '95 525
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmwjunkiee
Quote:

Damn, I'm throwing on some aftermarket wheels next week and was hoping I could just swap the OEM tpms. We shall see, if not tirerack will be getting more of my christmas money!
You're supposed to be able to swap them and use the idrive to reset them but mine just won't take. My wheels guy said I can bring the car back up there and he scan them, whatever that means to see if they'll take the sync after that...we'll see.
      01-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
thebmwjunkiee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You're supposed to be able to swap them and use the idrive to reset them but mine just won't take. My wheels guy said I can bring the car back up there and he scan them, whatever that means to see if they'll take the sync after that...we'll see.
Yeah thats what I have always heard, guess I'll find out soon. If they do fix your issue (and you have time of course), can you update the thread with the solution

Appreciate 1
The_M6248.00
      01-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmwjunkiee
Quote:
Yeah thats what I have always heard, guess I'll find out soon. If they do fix your issue (and you have time of course), can you update the thread with the solution
Absolutely! I drove around today for almost an hour without the "chime" but as I was pulling back into my driveway...ding!
      01-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #9
thebmwjunkiee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely! I drove around today for almost an hour without the "chime" but as I was pulling back into my driveway...ding!
Oh don't worry, I've got a chime of my own. Slow leak from one of my wheels, tire pressure going down about 2psi per day, so every morning I'm greeted with that wonderful BMW chime

Appreciate 1
The_M6248.00
      01-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyang View Post
Hey John. Thanks for the info again. Well I'm going to pass on those winter set. But thanks again for the info on the wheel vibration in the other post. Finally found another shop today about 30 minutes away that was willing to do road force balancing and now the car is running without vibrations. Runs smoother, quieter and it seems like I have better traction now. It took awhile but it was well worth the wait. I asked them to try to get it under 10lbs and they said they'll do their best. Forgot to ask the figures but pretty sure it's close to it or even lower. Thanks for everything.
Appreciate 0