2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 520d M-Sport

01-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
jdc06
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport auto

520d M-Sport

Hi

I'm new and looking for some advice as I am about to order a 520d M-Sport auto with 19s.

1) Should I go for VDC - I keep hearing press reports saying it's needed but my local dealer insists it's not?

2) Is flappy paddle gear change any good?

3) Should I be considering anything else?

Thanks
J
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
rory1968
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520D SE

Cant comment about VDC but sports auto is a must. I put sun protection glass on as an option-darker rear windows. I listen to loads of sport so went for DAB. I put business sat nav in but wish I had either went for the pro nav or better still just not bothered with it at all. Can't load speed camera database onto it! Just use my iPhone most of the time. It's a great car! Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
jdc06
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport auto

Thanks Rory - that's a great point on DAB radio. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

VDC has been extensively discussed on this forum; do a search and you'll find lots of info. IMO well worth it.
If you do a lot of night driving on unlit roads, you should seriously consider the adaptive (cornering) bi-xenon headlights.
Comfort seats are expensive, but live up to their name, especially on long drives.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc06 View Post
Hi

I'm new and looking for some advice as I am about to order a 520d M-Sport auto with 19s.

1) Should I go for VDC - I keep hearing press reports saying it's needed but my local dealer insists it's not?

Thanks
J
I've been on this forum for over a year now and the VDC question pops up time and time again (as do many others). I think I am right in saying that everyone who has it says it's a must and all those without say you don't need it.

What I surmise from that is that those who don't have it are perfectly happy with their ride (including me). I'm speculating here, but my view is that if your driving tendancy is towards predominantly performance driving then you'll benefit from it - but if that were the case you wouldn't be buying a 520d.

You will see this a lot on the forum. The standard car is really good and so you just don't miss what you never had.

Save your money and spend it elsewhere. Sports Auto is awesome. Prof Media is very good. Flappy paddles are occassionaly useful. I stayed with the standard headlights and can testify that they are poor on unlit country roads - my wife's Mazda 3 is way, way better. Fortunately I don't do much of that at night or else I'd be pretty annoyed.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
VDC has been extensively discussed on this forum; do a search and you'll find lots of info. IMO well worth it.
If you do a lot of night driving on unlit roads, you should seriously consider the adaptive (cornering) bi-xenon headlights.
Comfort seats are expensive, but live up to their name, especially on long drives.
I'm coming up on 25,000 miles in 12 months and have the standard seats. I'm 6ft 2" and 100kgs and have a niggling lower back complaint. I have the standard seats and they are the most comfortable I have ever had. I arrive fresh even after several hours. The comfort seats are better I have no doubt, but in the same vein of my previous post, I haven't felt like I am missing anything so far. Just my OP

Standard headlights are crap, crap, crap if you want to drive above 50mph at night on an unlit road.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
SpikeUK
Merc Defector
England
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 520d SE Auto Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Bake View Post
Standard headlights are crap, crap, crap if you want to drive above 50mph at night on an unlit road.
Do you know what? You are right, right, right.....

I keep thinking they must need cleaning or raising up a bit. I definitely drive slower on unlit roads in this car due to the reduced visibility.

If you don't live in a city, or mostly drive on motorways, go for the upgrade !
      01-23-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

VDC if you can

Hi jdc06

Some good advice from other posters above already, and as Shake n Bake said there are supporters and skeptics of VDC.

I have the new 520d M Sport on 18" 350M rims. I wanted to get VDC as I had driven a demo car with it (and SE with thinner tyres), noticeably comfortable whilst being very safe and predictable.... but could not afford it in my limit.

My experience (and each to their own!) is that it is OK 90% of the time, but not sumptuous (I deleted Sport Suspension BTW). You really notice on bad roads with potholes and rough parts... but perhaps I expecting too much. What I can say is that it does soak it up still, as in the car does not shudder or lose track, but you feel it... I suspect because of the 245's at front and 275's at back you get more feedback.

I don't regret not having it (i.e no grudges), and the more I drive it without VDC, the more I get used to what I have, and really it's fine, my family say I am too picky!.... well of course I am that's why I got a BMW !

Overall, the sheer control and smooth cornering with no feeling of rolling or diving, makes me feel OK I don't have VDC...

Flappy paddles: great when you are in Comfort mode and want to change down quickly without using the accelerator to floor it/kick down... and exhilarating when pulling off into traffic in Sport or Sport+... and they feel very solid in your hands compared to paddles I had in a VW Touran.

Anything else.... I didn't get Satnav, and miss it from my Audi.... and I have basic radio, which compared to Audi and Touran, is boring ... so would get the next one up if you can.

Good luck in your choice!

jedpause

Last edited by jedpause; 01-23-2012 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: grammar fix
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 04:44 AM   #9
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

I'd try and get the pro-media - the 10.2" screen looks much better then the small screen with the plastic fillers on each side.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
MalithS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 LCI 530D Luxury

Quote:
Hi

Thanks
J
2) Yes flappy paddles are very good. I use them all the time. Specially to downshift when you want to overtake.

3) Pro Nav is a must I think
Visibility pack - great (the white halo rings are cool)
Folding auto dimming side mirrors

MalithS
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Hi

Thanks
J
My 535d is on 18's and they're just fine - my dealer loaned me a set of 19's and, TBH, I couldn't feel much difference. I'd recommend that you stick with 18's and put the money towards VDC, or even better - an extra two cylinders!
Appreciate 0