2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Help with tone for 528i Focal Install

06-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
Jazzman528
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 528i

Help with tone for 528i Focal Install

Wanted to give an update to my ongoing audio upgrade for a 2014 528i BMW. I began with a basic HI-FI system. I posted two previous install episodes here:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17765901

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17765901

So here is where I am with things. Would like some feedback and help on the next step.

Installing the (4) Focals gave me a clearer overall sound, more definition. But the sound was still kinda "vanilla" - no umpphh even at the max volume.

I ordered the Technic Harness so that I could add an amp. Harness worked great! Thanks to Technic for the help and guidance. I'm sure I bugged the hell out of him in my quest to get it right (first-timer, LOL)

I had a local shop do the harness install with an JLXD600/6 amp. This definitely improved the performance of the speakers -things are punchier and louder (of course). I kept the factory woofers underseat, and they are now getting 100 W ea (@2ohm , I think). The factory amp only gave them about 40W.

The Sound?

1) I am finding the highs to be kinda harsh now, have to notch the treble control on the iDrive
2) Bass is still not satisfyingly low, but I expected this
3) In general, the sound is kind of sterile...no warm and creamy tones..almost clinical. Not fun to listen to. Have to keep adjusting the iDrive EQ for almost every artist/genre.

I own a set of FOCAL professional speakers (I mix music professionally), and they are sterile for accuracy purposes. When you mix music, you want an accurate picture of what is in the mix. However, I was expecting their car audio line to be a bit more "forgiving."

My Question

I do plan on adding a trunk sub next. But before I do.....I am wondering if adding a DSP (like Audison Bit One) will give me more of the cream and warmth that I feel I am missing? I just want the system to feel kinda like a nice home stereo. Warm, fun to listen to, pleasingly plump and round like a Astro Burger at 2AM!

Any suggestions?
Edit/Delete Message

Last edited by Jazzman528; 06-05-2015 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0