2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Help!!! Leather seat repair.

01-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #1
740boy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i sport

Help!!! Leather seat repair.

While I was detailing my brothers Bemer he decided to do me a favor and clean my weather tech mats. Little did I know he found an ink spot on my rear seat and decided to use something from the dollar store to remove it. What the hell!!! He came to me and asked if I had soft scrub because he left a spot on the seat where the ink was. Well he took the "dye" right out of the leather. Is there an inexpensive fix? I have an appearance package warranty that covers the interior. Will they fix it? I doubt if a dye will match if not done professionally. Appreciate input.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

#1: It's spelled "bimmer"

#2: Nothing over the counter will get you the results you're looking for, but the dealer will have "a guy" who does interior dye repair like this. They match the factory color and spray it on with an air brush. Had it done on an E36 I owned about 10 years ago with Dove Grey/White interior. Works great, you'll never be able to tell it happened. Just remember to use a little extra care cleaning/conditioning the leather in that spot afterwards as it wont be quite as durable as the factory dye.

#3: Unfriend your friend
      01-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #3
740boy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks

Can you unfriend your brother? I guess I spell it Bemer because Bemer Preventive Maintenance worked on my cars for years. If you don't want to go to the stealer it's a great place for repairs and maintenance in Houston.
Do you remember the approximate cost? My bro don't know it yet but he's gonna be footing the bill.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740boy View Post
Can you unfriend your brother? I guess I spell it Bemer because Bemer Preventive Maintenance worked on my cars for years. If you don't want to go to the stealer it's a great place for repairs and maintenance in Houston.
Do you remember the approximate cost? My bro don't know it yet but he's gonna be footing the bill.
lol well yea I guess you can't unfriend your bro - I think I read your OP too fast

I recall it being very inexpensive at the time. I had my driver seat done and then when the guy finished, it looked so nice, I had him give the other seats a once-over so it all looked uniform. Total cost ran about $150 IIRC. But, you don't need the whole interior done, or even the full seat cushion for that matter - they'll likely spray that one area and blend it accordingly. The leather in that area will feel a little rough to the touch, but give the dye about a week to cure in the sun, then go over it (lightly) with a nice conditioner and it'll even out the texture.
      01-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #5
avd3k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

You can try this kit: https://www.colourlock.com/all-produ...l?___store=usa

They color match factory dye for BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
#1: It's spelled "bimmer"

you know you're a BMW owner when you correct people how to spell "Bimmer"

speaking of your issue it's been awhile but i remember coming across a post regarding this matter. not sure if it was 5post or the M3/M4 board but they couldn't match the color exactly with the Dye BMW used
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #7
Desmond79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i, 2009 328i

Quote:
While I was detailing my brothers Bemer he decided to do me a favor and clean my weather tech mats. Little did I know he found an ink spot on my rear seat and decided to use something from the dollar store to remove it. What the hell!!! He came to me and asked if I had soft scrub because he left a spot on the seat where the ink was. Well he took the "dye" right out of the leather. Is there an inexpensive fix? I have an appearance package warranty that covers the interior. Will they fix it? I doubt if a dye will match if not done professionally. Appreciate input.

I tried this right before I left on a trip on my E90 Black Dakota Leather (driver's seat w/ 83k miles) - it needs to cure 48 hrs - that was 5 days ago - will give it a buff and see what happens. But you apply a light coat of dye, wait 20 minutes, make certain it's dry, and dab another coat -- it worked initially and it is matched to your interior -- will see what happens when I sit and move around - will it stay or will it go?

https://www.seatdoctors.com/diy-leat...KSJRoCFmHw_wcB

2009 328i 6 spd stick, Crimson Red/Sport Suspension, Bavsound Stage 1, 2

Former BMWs: '79 320i, '84 325e, 2000 328i, 2014 535i
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Look into the Houston area Fibrenew. They can do amazing repair work on automotive and home textile surfaces and are completely mobile.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/fibrenew-no...ston-tomball-2
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #9
740boy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
Look into the Houston area Fibrenew. They can do amazing repair work on automotive and home textile surfaces and are completely mobile.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/fibrenew-no...ston-tomball-2
I checked these guys out. They gave me an a quote of I'll just say $150+. I did get a quick response and sent them a pic of the damage to their website. The person who contacted me was very helpful even after I told him that I would shop around. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 08:09 AM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
I checked these guys out. They gave me an a quote of I'll just say $150+. I did get a quick response and sent them a pic of the damage to their website. The person who contacted me was very helpful even after I told him that I would shop around. Thanks for the tip.
$150? did they entail what they have to do? i'm pretty sure it's just a product they're going to use. i'd find out what and try to do it yourself!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #11
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Get a can of enamel spray paint and touch it up.
Appreciate 0