2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Central vents - one hot, one cool

11-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
A900ss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520d Touring

Central vents - one hot, one cool

Now that the colder weather is coming in, I have adjusted my central vent wheel to the red to get hot air from the vents.

The left vent is nice and warm and toasty however the right vent is cool.

Both sides of the car are set at the same temp in climate control.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it a visit to the dealer to correct?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

Make sure your vent setting is RED instead of BLUE. There's a small dial on the side of the vents which directs airflow, and if it's set to blue more outside air is circulated through the car. Once that setting is changed to red, the air will be heated.

I hope this helps.

Will aka The Swami
      11-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGr8Swami View Post
Make sure your vent setting is RED instead of BLUE. There's a small dial on the side of the vents which directs airflow, and if it's set to blue more outside air is circulated through the car. Once that setting is changed to red, the air will be heated.

I hope this helps.

Will aka The Swami
I think he's seen that, there's only one in the middle that controls both side vents... problem is that final output is left: warm, right: cold

Last edited by jedpause; 11-30-2012 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

that certianly doesn't sound right to me. Straight to dealer I would suggest.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I've experimented with mine this morning, here are my findings.

Running around freezing -1C to +1C. Set at 20C fully automatic, both zones, snowflake button on, facial air blend set to full red. Starting from cold each side of the centre vents warmed together, stayed that way. Once the cabin was warm I sensed the drivers side was slightly cooler, but not my much.

I then tried lowering the cabin temperature (both zones) down to 17C then the driver's side cooled more than the passenger side mid vent. But once cooled went back to near equal levels again.

Stepping back a moment, what system have you got in the 520d? The advanced system, or the standard 520d system? That could be why there is a difference.

My last car (the E91 touring) would do just as you say, the driver's side would often have much cooler air than the passenger side and many others noted that feature in other E9* models. Possible reasoning, keep the driver more alert. I know I appreciated it myself, thought it a pretty good bit of design.

I'm not saying your car is without fault, as if the air is cold, even during the warm up phase, it doesn't reflect what I'm finding, in the advanced system. I'd need a wider ambient temperature range to see exactly how the temperatures blend, before saying your car must be faulty.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
Ellmat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0D MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by A900ss View Post
Now that the colder weather is coming in, I have adjusted my central vent wheel to the red to get hot air from the vents.

The left vent is nice and warm and toasty however the right vent is cool.

Both sides of the car are set at the same temp in climate control.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it a visit to the dealer to correct?

Thanks.
Earlier this year I posted some notes about getting a full refund for F10 530D because the engine was very slow to warm up and nobody could give a reason why. The other problem with the car was the air flow, fluctuating tempreture and whistling through the centre vents. The dealer knew about this problem and offered to take out the complete dash and relplace some of the air con parts....which i said no way !!

I understand F10`s built from early 2012 had differant parts fitted to eliminate these problems. I had a new build F10 535D delivered to me in April this year...so far no problems.

What you have explained is something very simular to what I had. If you speak to your dealer about "PUMA measure: 36932119-03" this may well help you and the dealer solve the problem you have..? I think when BMW use the word "Puma", the issue is raised to a higher level within BMW

Good luck and hope this helps

Last edited by Ellmat; 11-30-2012 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
A900ss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520d Touring

My car is a May 2012 build and it has the standard climate fitted.

The car engine warms very quickly and hot air comes from the heater within a mile of first starting the car even in temps below freezing.

Interestingly I was also playing with the vents as the car was warming today and the right vent did throw out warm air. It's only when the car has fully warmed that the right vent is cooler than than the left.

It's far from the end of the world but it does look as if it's not the norm so I'll let them know when it goes in for its first service.
Appreciate 0