2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum To anyone who is having problems programming their Universal garage-door remote.

01-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
Depo1964
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 528i

To anyone who is having problems programming their Universal garage-door remote.

I've had several Bimmers since I purchased a new, at the time, Liftmaster garage door opener and never had a problem programming the remote.
However, I had a problem with my new 535i.
I did find a solution. Perhaps this might help someone else.

With my previous Bimmers following the directions in the BMW manual provided successful results.

This time I had to involve the Liftmaster LEARN function which was really very simple.
If your garage door opener has a learn function you should be able to work this as well. (See your garage-door manual for instructions)

I just pushed the PROG Learn button on the Wall mounted control console and within 30 seconds and the car ignition on,
pressed the button on the Universal remote that I wanted to have activate the garage door.
As soon as I pressed the button on the Universal, voila!!! open sesame, it worked.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #2
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

I've never gotten mine to work in any car... I think my opener is too old even though it has a "Learn" button on it.
      01-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
FY01CPO
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBro
I've never gotten mine to work in any car... I think my opener is too old even though it has a "Learn" button on it.
My Chamberlain opener didn't want to play nice but I got a Homelink repeater and that solved the problem. It's very reasonable and you basically program a remote clicker that comes with it and then use that to program the car. Works great but boggles my mind that the door technologies aren't as "universal" as we'd like to think in today's day and age of supreme computers and tech.

Btw, I tried to use the stock clicker that came with the opener and no luck getting it to work.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

Thanks! I'm looking to update mine in the next year anyway which is why I haven't worried with it too much. But if I decide not to I'll look into this.